• This topic has 49 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Show us yer race bikes, inspiration needed please
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

As above looking to build up a fairly light XC race bike for this season prob go hardtail but show us your prides to give me a bit of inspiration…. all disciplines welcome to spice it up!!

njee20
    Free Member

Now got a SID fork, awaiting a new seat mast and some ZTR Podium wheels. Not really ridden it with the crap weather, but really impressed with what I have done.

Bream
    Free Member

Nice njee20, was considering one of those myself 8)

This is my steed, will be swapping the silver masterpiece for a WCS carbon in a couple of weeks :mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

New Ultimate would be about 60g lighter 🙂

Bream
    Free Member

Yes yes I know, but can't decide between that, yours or even jumping on the Superfly 100 band wagon 😆

Until then the old lady keeps on rolling :mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

I just meant an NU seatpost would be lighter than the WCS. Anthems are nice!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Nice rides guys, starting to tempt me away from a HT!

ollieT
    Free Member

Njee

What are the XX cranks like compared to XTR? Ive been running 2×9 for a while on my 09 sworks HT but like the look of them. Do you know if they would BB30 in my frame.

Cheers
    Ollie

organic355
    Free Member

Now with different saddle as this one hurt me nads!!!

tomh
    Free Member

flange
    Free Member

Now departed, to be replaced with possibly a carbon one.

njee20
    Free Member

What are the XX cranks like compared to XTR? Ive been running 2×9 for a while on my 09 sworks HT but like the look of them. Do you know if they would BB30 in my frame.

The shifting is absolutely awesome, they're not the lightest, but seem stiff enough, rings aren't too expensive either.

The Spesh frames aren't quite BB30, they have a wider shell, so I think you'd have to use the BB91 adapter you're presumably using already and run the standard cranks, bit gay, but thank Spesh for inventing a new standard. I may be wrong on that. Alternatively you can get the S-Works cranks and the XX spider, which would be an awesome combination, as those cranks are crazy light.

ollieT
    Free Member

Cheers Mate.

I have tried to get the Spech cranks but i cant get them anywhere. My local shop has asked and asked spech but they are not available or at least the uk. You havent still got yours have you? I have just got so MMX podium wheels but i havent tried it out yet but the bike on my shonkey scales comes out at 16.9 – 17.0lbs so it should be quick.

njee20
    Free Member

Sadly not, I sold them with the frame, but got as many enquiries about the chainset as I did the frame, so you're not alone!

Yeah I want some of the Podium wheels, found a very good source for AM Classic hubs, so should be able to get some for a reasonable price too, which is a result!

tinsy
    Free Member

Dont even mention the 4 pot brakes on a lightweight XC bike, its just evolved that way!!

And here it is at work..

njee20
    Free Member

Can I mention the massive rotors then?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Bream, how did you manage to get hold of the green Hope stuff? Really 'need' some on my Anthem!

tinsy
    Free Member

Oh they arent big, only 203 and 183 think I could use something a bit bigger? 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I suppose he did say race bikes of any discipline, those be downhill sizes!

tinsy
    Free Member

Well they do seem to slow it down when I need to… I refer you to my next thread…

br
    Free Member

Bought as a late year bargain, but surprisingly heavy for a carbon framed bike – started at 12.5kg, ended at 10.5kg. Frame sold, rest kept.

Bream
    Free Member

I just meant an NU seatpost would be lighter than the WCS. Anthems are nice!

Doh, see what you meant now 💡 Just might have a WCS at a reasonable price 😉

Green Hope stuff came from an 08 pro team, still looking for some more, strangely addictive :mrgreen:

Digging the huge brakes on a whippet bike 😆

handyman153
    Free Member

Here's my offering, only just built so hasn't been ridden yet…

tinsy
    Free Member

That is nice… is that a £45 chain on there to go with the other expensive kit?

njee20
    Free Member

Moreover, is it a SRAM Red rear mech!?

If so what ratios are you running? Is that a 12-27 with 32/44? You must live somewhere pretty flat/have massive legs!

mattp
    Free Member

handyman – what crank + BB is on that?

looks great should breeze uphill…

njee20
    Free Member

As an aside…

I'm in the process of building up a 'winter' (in inverted commas as it's likely to end up being reasonably tarty still) bike based around an eBay carbon hardtail frame, £200 and 1240g, excellent place to start if you want a light frame without spending the earth!

mattp
    Free Member

looks great should breeze uphill…

tinsy
    Free Member

I said similar about handymans gearing on his other thread!!

my sadly stolen old race and local woods bike with £45 chain about a week before the ferkin scum took it.

Yeah it had big rotors too!!

njee20
    Free Member

Race Face Next SL with the granny ring removed by the looks of it.

fontmoss
    Free Member

handyman-is that samways?!

this is my 'race' bike 😀 only got out on it once so far :'(

AndyF1
    Free Member

Here`s one of mine…

njee20
    Free Member

Maxxlite 310s, brave man…

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

handyman153
    Free Member

Njee20 is right, its the Race Face Next SL crankset and Hope Bottom Bracket. At the moment it just has the Inner ring taken off, but running a 32-44 ratio on a double might be a tad to hard. When i get round to it, it will go down to a 28 – 39 ish.

Fontmoss – It is indeed samways..

And yep it is a £45 chain, this is hopefully going to be my last bike for a while, so thought i would make it special.

Also Njee20 – I have had 3 of those carbon frames from ebay/china in the past. Great bikes, super for the money. Pic below is one of them i built up, but then sold due to needing some cash…

njee20
    Free Member

Yep that's exactly what I've got, seems nice, looking forward to riding it.

Even with a 28 that'll be quite tall gearing I reckon!

plop_pants
    Free Member

None of that suspension malarky!

fontmoss
    Free Member

handy drop me a line if fancy a pedal (im not exactly match fit though) or if not let me know some routes locally if you don't mind (been to robins wood?

Swalsey
    Free Member

I love an excuse to get this out!:

oddjob
    Free Member

Now a good picture, it now has some decent wheels as well (ZTR Archs on XT hubs)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Show us yer race bikes, inspiration needed please’ is closed to new replies.