Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Show me your Scottoiler's please!
  • dmiller
    Free Member

Hey,

I used a scottoiler on my old commuter and it was ugly as f*ck but it worked really well. I was never happy with how it looked so it went nowhere near my new commuter. I figured that I could look after a chain – how hard can it be? The one on the MTB is okay…

So 2 months ~ 1000 miles and some salty wet roads later the chain on the new commuter is wrecked. I have even cleaned and lubed the chain each weekend!

So I'm going to have to fit the Scottoiler to the new bike…

How have people fitted them so they don't look ugly as sin? Key points for me are reduced use of cable ties, no use of glue (as the squibs need replaced pretty often as they burst on me), an ability to use the squib in motion and as little ugliness as possible!

The bike is a 2010 tri-cross.

I am hoping that someone out there in Singletrackworld land has an elegant solution!

Cheers,

David.

njee20
    Free Member

Get some better lube? c125 miles a week is hardly a vast amount to be trashing chains.

odannyboy
    Free Member

do you commute to work along the beach! 😯

dmiller
    Free Member

Finish Wet Line green stuff. Commute is on heavily salted roads with the first two miles through what is in effect the M80 extension road works (the lorry's dump so much mud on the road that I may as well go through the fields!) and then the bike is chained up next to the air con heat exchangers which are very warm for 12 hours and then left in the shed overnight when I get home. No facilities for cleaning the bike at work so the chain rusts straight away.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Are you riding it off road? That seems like a very short time to destroy a chain riding on the road? Mine has >2000 miles and isn't worn out yet (checked with a chain checker most weeks).

If it is really that bad, can't you just oil the chain once a day if you really need to?

Or maybe cleaning it that often does bad things to it – I certainly wouldn't know – mine gets properly cleaned not very often (maybe once every couple of months – ie. every 600-700 miles or so).

Joe

njee20
    Free Member

I've never cleaned mine, just lube (very occasionally) with White Lightning Wet Ride and ride it!

Seems surprising certainly, or are you calling rusty 'worn out'?

dmiller
    Free Member

Seems surprising certainly, or are you calling rusty 'worn out'?

Park tool thingy says greater than 1% stretch and its starting to skip under pressure. Also it looks and feels worn – the links are loose / sloppy. The rust is ugly but I wouldn't spend money on a chain just because the outside of the links have a bit of rust. 🙂

If it is really that bad, can't you just oil the chain once a day if you really need to?

Thats what the scottoiler does 😉

Or maybe cleaning it that often does bad things to it

Maybe – but it needs it as it builds up a lot of crud from the riding I do. Also I am 99% sure I am not over oiling it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

get some MX chain wax from putoline, its even more tenacious than the stuff thye put on in the factory!

StirlingCrispin

You can position the reservoir on the back of the downtube.
    The squid can be hidden under the saddle – although I have mine at the rear of the top tube. Use electrical tape.

Or – bling your ride: I have some special promo' reservoirs from the boys at Scottoiler if you want one! Choose a colour and I'll bring it the Hare of the Dawg ride on Sunday.

blanche
    Free Member

Have a look at mine. I haven't any photos to hand, but if you look on my webpage, and under the "WC2C Event" tab on the gallery you'll see how mine is fitted.
    The only difference is that my squid is now located on the side of the seattube. It just worked better there for me.

It's a superb piece of kit. I haven't had one bit of rust, or had to stop on long rides (or short ones) to lube my chain. No goop from normal lubes and the whole drivetrain comes up shiny with a good hose down. I've gone through 3 chains this year and one set of chainrings, instead of the normal 6 and 2, and I've done more mileage than ever.

My pit crews have got a bit bored as I ride round without stopping for a quick lube, too. No need, you see.

Must try and get a couple more…

Oh, webpage.

http://www.davebuchanan.co.uk The fist picture in the event tab….

paul78
    Free Member

If anyone wants one of these particular pieces of history the shop i work in seems to have 3 or 4..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

get some MX chain wax from putoline, its even more tenacious than the stuff thye put on in the factory!

Works for me and Mrs TJ. the chain on her commuter gets treated every few hundred miles with it and is holding up well

dmiller
    Free Member

have some special promo' reservoirs from the boys at Scottoiler if you want one! Choose a colour and I'll bring it the Hare of the Dawg ride on Sunday

Thanks dude but I can't make this – my very good lady has the car all weekend. Crimbo shopping… 😉

Have a look at mine. I haven't any photos to hand, but if you look on my webpage, and under the "WC2C Event" tab on the gallery you'll see how mine is fitted.

Very neat – thanks!

I'm worried that would turn into a grinding paste with all the gunk on the road…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

d miller – it doesn't if you wipe the outside of the chain down. I am totally evangelical about this stuff it is so superior to cycle lube.

Mrs TJs commuter does around 150 miles a month – 4 months since the chain was last lubed it started to squeak a bit so I re did it. Chain and cassette were virtually spotless – far less gunk build up It doesn't attract dirt as it is dry on the outside – and 'cos its solid no grit gets into the rollers.

its only £18 a kilo putoline chain wax.

dmiller
    Free Member

Interesting – first google points me here.

I do roughly 500 miles a month (a bit less when the weather is rubbish and a bit more when its nice) so would need to do that once per month.

Hmmmmm. I shall consider when slightly less drunk I think.

Thanks TJ!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

well its 5 months on from that and I am still impressed – now I am sure wear is less as the same chain I was using then was still on my solo until this week – not worn out but it broke when the mech broke so replaced – still under 0.75% wear after nearly a year and good few miles

Previously I was going thru a couple of chains a year at least

ss
    Free Member

Get a life, fit it, use it, bask in the glory of having a clean chain without much hassle.

It's a no brainer really, you're maybe just a little insecure with how your bike looks?

dmiller
    Free Member

you're maybe just a little insecure with how your bike looks

I am indeed – Im not fast, Im not very skill full and I look like a muppet on the bike. But I will have a nice looking bike 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Scottoiler's please!’ is closed to new replies.