Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Show me your Pipedream Scion.
  • 2POC

My blue frame is being delivered tomorrow. Can’t wait.

fuzzywig
    Free Member

I’m wanting one of those, I’m very envious. When you get it weigh it and post the result. It’ll make loads of us very happy, and if it’s in Cotic Soul territory it’ll shift bucket loads of frames for Pipedream…

2POC

Sure will. I’ll take some photos of the build too. Both won’t be until tomorrow due to work commitments.

PJay
    Free Member

I can show you a Pipedream Sirius, it should be identical to the Scion except for the sliding dropouts and thicker stays. According to the Pipedream FAQ the Scion should be about 250g (half a pound) lighter than the Sirius.

letmetalktomark

Looking forward to pics.

I really like the ride from my R853 but not the weight.

For a geared only option the Scion seems bang on.

Now hurry up with pics.

fuzzywig
    Free Member

250 grammes lighter? That can’t be right? Again pipedream themselves say just the sliding drop-outs weigh 300g. No sliding drop-outs, skinnier seat stays and only half a pound weight saving? I think their scales are faulty.

Still over 5 pounds for a medium, are they using tubes? or is it solid steel bar

swoosh
    Free Member

Is the Scion not the same as the older style Sirius without the sliding dropouts? Different steel perhaps?

sv

They are loverlllyyyy…

john

Swoosh – I’ve wondered about this, I’ve got an old sirius, which had the same geometry as the new one/scion, but uses their own tubeset (which they said is roughly equal to reynolds 631). They then changed to 853, but it sounds like it actually got heavier through some last minute changes for CEN testing. I have seen 5.7lbs quoted for the new one and 4.8 for the old (source – a bloke on the internet). So they’ve now taken the dropouts off and made it only a little heavier than the old one. Is 853 that much better, even in a heavier frame?

Either way, mine is lovely to ride, so I imagine the scion will be good – I keep thinking about getting a full suss, then I go for a ride and remember my current bike is awesome. Ruins my plans for new shiny things.

bearGrease

@PJay – nice bike! Looks like a ……. real mountain bike. £349 seems a steal for such retro modernity.

letmetalktomark

My 19.5” frame was quite portly 5.5lbs +

PJay
    Free Member

To be honest I think that the weight thing is a little over done. I didn’t weigh my frame, just swapped the parts across from my 853 Inbred and the total build weight didn’t seem to differ much and I certainly can’t feel it when riding; that extra weight (if it is there just seems to vanish in the general mass that is my bike). The WMB test that the Sirius won against some stiff competition did laud it for those desireable steel qualities (and it even built up into the lightest bike on test if I remember rightly) so if it is a tad portly it doesn’t seem to have affected things ‘off the scales’.

Equally I do get that people don’t want their bikes heavier than they need be, but weight doesn’t necessarily equate to ‘bad’. I suspect that the Kinesis Decade Virsa is a lighter steel frame, but then there’s been talk about cracking seat tubes, I’m pretty certain that the Cove Handjob’s lighter but there have been issues with crumpled downtubes then again everyone seems to love the Orange P7 despite the fact that it makes the Sirius look seriously under-nourished. I suppose we could call the Sirius ‘robust’ (which to me is a good thing) rather than athletic.

The Sirius (and I suspect the Scion) isn’t a race whippet, but if that’s what you really want steel probably isn’t the best choice anyway. If I were buying now I’d probably choose the Scion over the Sirius as I don’t need the sliding dropouts, there are plenty of other contenders out there too. I really like my Sirius (and I tend only to pootle about on country roads and trails) and am really happy with what I’ve got.

As far as I can make out the Scion is identical to the Sirius except for the loss of the sliding dropouts and16mm as opposed to 19mm chainstays. I assume it’s CEN tested too.

pipedream themselves say just the sliding drop-outs weigh 300g

But the Scion will still have dropouts! They’ve had to replace ’em with something so you’re not going to lose anything like 300g.

I really like the ride from my R853 but not the weight.

I was pretty deflated after getting my Sirius when everyone went on about the weight but after spending a while getting it set up right, the more I ride it the more I like it. If it was lighter would it ride better? Perhaps but then again I like the fact it’s a little less ‘waggy’ than the 853 Inbred, a lighter frame might be more flexy. In any event for me it’s the ride that counts.

2POC

Should be home by 8 so i’ll try and get some photos of the frame up tonight (hopefully the wife was in when DHL turned up)

2POC

Should be home by 8 so i’ll try and get some photos of the frame up tonight (hopefully the wife was in when DHL turned up)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Here’s mine, at long last….

Due to the mismatched valve caps and the fact that the tyre/wheel logos don’t match up, it rides like an absolute dog. 😉

2POC

Like it toxicsoks

Frame’s 5lbs on the nose with my digital scales.

Thomson seat clamp and cane creek headset fitted.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Toxicsocks – what size is that and what travel are the forks? I’m currently torn between a couple of frames and the Scion is well up the shortlist…

3rd edit: 5lbs – what size is that?

2POC

18″

Frame was was measured on dodgy scales from the kitchen!!

Candodavid
    Free Member

My Curtis SS is all 853 and weighs in under 4lb. These pipedreams are a little bit porky, are they not?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Frame is 19.5″
    Forks are 120mm Rebas.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Your Curtis doesn’t have to pass CEN because its custom, and the rider is a waife. 😉

Clink

Your Curtis doesn’t have to pass CEN because its custom, and the rider is a waife.

You beat me to it!! 😆

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I was gonna point out the price difference and waiting times but it seemed cruel…

Candodavid
    Free Member

Curtis took less time than a Pipedream

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Touchy…

Candodavid
    Free Member

No, just trolling thanks

IvanDobski
    Free Member

😉 😉

fuzzywig
    Free Member

Do look nice don’t they. Looks like the same colour I had my old Rockhopper powdered. Too heavy though, I know they’re cheaper than than a Soul but they’re more than a Skinny Duster and the Duster’s lighter. I’m looking at the Charge now I think, anyone got one? What are they like?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Pipedream Scion.’ is closed to new replies.