Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Show me your Ibis Mojo SL-R.
  • bueller
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one today and the search function doesn’t bring up too many photo’s surprisingly. I’d also like a bit of advice from any owners.

After much deliberation and trawling of websites for info, I’m still not sure if I should have ordered the HD 140 instead of the SLR. Most of my riding is at 140mm and I would very rarely convert the HD to 160.

Ibis reckon the SLR can handle 150mm forks and is 80 – 90% as stiff as a HD so I went for the SLR.

I do tend to break stuff though, so how strong are the SLR’s and should I change my order? Will an SLR be fine for UK trail centres, Lakes, Peaks and an annual Alps trip? I do like to push on the descents!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’m sure the SLR can easily handle whatever is thrown at it in the UK or Alps. Despite ‘pushing’ on the descents, I suspect it’s probably been tested way up to and beyond it’s limit – which most people will never get near.

bueller
    Free Member

Thanks Chunky. I assumed the same but it’s difficult when they make two bikes with the same level of travel, but list one as ‘Heavy Duty’. The weight difference between them is also only 1 lb I think.

You know what it’s like when you have to make a quick decision, the order gets placed and then your mind starts working overtime. Especially as I was also a carbon sceptic, until recently. 😀

titusrider
    Free Member

You will deffo be fine with the SL-R my SL has had plenty of alps trips and DH abuse, including being run with 160mm forks.

Ibis are reputedly vgood at warranty and cheep out of warranty replacements too

is this your first carbon frame? My advice is to forget about the material, treat it as a bike ride it hard and dont start worrying about every scratch scrape and creak, you will have a lot more fun!
    (also a little ibis tip make sure you protect the underside of the chainstay near the cranks from chainslap, i missed it so have no paint left there now!)

bueller
    Free Member

Thanks a lot Titus. I have a carbon Remedy at the minute, this will be it’s replacement. I have the XTR trail mech on the Remedy to help with chainslap and one will also be going on the Mojo.

beaker

My previous full sus was a Mojo and it was a cracking bike. Besides Ibis have legendary aftersales service.

honeybadgerx

Thinking about one of these myself, what size did you go for/how tall are you? I often tend to fall between medium and large for most bikes…grr

xcentric
    Free Member

Have the standard Mojo, and you’ll have great fun. Just ride it as hard as you like, and enjoy it. It’ll take whatever you throw at it, and if not Ibis customer service is indeed excellent – emails from the MD on a Sunday are not uncommon…..

can’t advise on your main issue, though, I’m afraid, but it’ll certainly cope with anything in the UK, and almost certainly the Alps too. I’d only start having doubts when considering clearing small buildings in a single bound 🙂

wors

Was the STW competition winner ever announced for one of these, I don’t recall.

Raindog
    Free Member

I think it was some bloke called “Chipps”

mos

My dads got a 4-5 yr old mojo sl & its been plenty strong enough for the alps. There was a lof of rear end flex though (coud get swing arm to nearly touch frame) but the lopes link made a massive difference & stiffened things up.

bueller
    Free Member

Thanks all. Puts the mind at rest! Badger, I went for the medium (17ins) after checking the geometry on the Ibis website. I’m 5’9. How many of you guys ran an angleset out of interest?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve got a HD140 and the problem is that it’s got the other travel option…I’m always wondering what it would be like set at 160 with a 170 fork! If I’d bought a normal Mojo or an SC Blur LTc, I wouldn’t even be thinking of more travel. 🙄

dawson

+2 – I entered that too (not that I ever win anything)

jun9lebunnie
    Free Member

Here’s mine!

The HD is a nice option to have, an awesome bike for pointing downhill in 160mm mode and 140mm setups for faster xc days.

The SL-R is massively stiffer than the regular SL (broke 3 of these frames), the finish and build quality on the SL-R is leaps ahead of the SL and even the HD.

The SL-R is a fast bike, nice and stiff with nice frame features, I’ve put some 36’s on mine – it works a treat and the rear travel feels bottomless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Ibis Mojo SL-R.’ is closed to new replies.