Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Show me your bike storage solutions and workshop
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Wanting to store 4 bikes, ideally vertically and set up a really nice workshop for majority of my maintenance without taking up too much of the garage and still have room to expand the fleet in future so was wondering how others stored their bikes and had workspace too? At the moment they are just leaning against each other in a kind of forlorn way, there must be a better way.

ratadog

I had this problem and after a bit of research went for Saris Bike Tracs. If your wall isn't up to it and you live in the USA then Saris do a vertical rack to fit upto 5 bike tracs relevant page here. I reckoned this looked ideal but neither Saris nor I felt it was worth the cost of exporting 8 pieces of angle iron/U channel to the UK. However, click where it says instructions on the linked page and you'll get a pdf for how to put the rack together including all measurements so I bought the bike tracs from Wiggle and sourced the 8 pieces of angle iron/ U channel locally for £20. Bike tracs – non locking version – Google suggesting best price around £25 at the moment.

If your workshop has decent walls you could simply screw up the bike tracs. Unless you go for the locking Bike tracswhich are a lot more then you will also obviously need a wall/ground anchor or 2 for security.

richcc
    Free Member

I've got 3 of these from Halfrauds screwed to my garage wall

Halfords Hook
    Works pretty well

druidh
    Free Member

6 Cheap plastic hooks screwed diagonally into roof beams.

6 bikes, stored vertically. Alternate up & down saves space.

DT78
    Free Member

With wall hooks if space is really limited – Remove the front wheels, replace QR/axle in forks. Turn the bars parallel to the top tube and hook the QR/axle in the wall hook and rest on the back wheel.

Using this method you can get a bike in about every 8 inches.

I use the space on top of the forks for storage for tyres etc…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hey Druid – how do they stay vertical – leaning against each other?

clunker

My Saris storage….

druidh
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member
    Hey Druid – how do they stay vertical – leaning against each other?

No – they're not touching each other. The tyres are against the wall. "Forces" do the rest.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Bike hooks bought of ebay. I can get 5 bikes across the end wall.

Take the opportunity to paint the walls and floor. And get plenty of lighting. It makes for a much better working environment.

swoosh
    Free Member

just a quick question regarding the hooks into the ceiling joists – how are they fixed? have you just screwed them directly into the timber using the threaded end or have you put a rawl plug in there too?

quick question about storing bikes vertically in general – should the back wheel be off the ground or touching?

flatfish
    Free Member

if they're straight into timber no plug will be required

flatfish
    Free Member

has anybody else noticed the decapitated head in clunkers pic???? 😯

Andy-W
    Free Member

Does anyone keep a car in the garage these days ??

flatfish
    Free Member

nope!!! don't be silly

Ogg

Are all hydraulic disc brakes OK stored vertically?

swoosh
    Free Member

in our house we have 2 cars, 1 garage and space for 1 car on the drive, it never even occurred to me that the second car wouldnt be on the road outside, i've got better things to do with my time than spend 5 mins a day getting car out of garage in morning and putting it away at night.

just worked out that if you spend 5 mins putting car in and out of garage you loose over a day of your life a year by doing that!! in 18 months that a whole working week spent moving the car 10 yards!!! 😯 Not for me thanks!

Bregante

just worked out that if you spend 5 mins putting car in and out of garage you loose over a day of your life a year by doing that!! in 18 months that a whole working week spent moving the car 10 yards!!! Not for me thanks

you work one and a half days per week?

firestarter
    Free Member

my storage solution and the workshop is generally the kitchen when the mrs isnt around ;-)road bike right at back is a pain to get to but i swap around depending on time of year. come easter roadie will be up front and cx will be moved to the back

swoosh
    Free Member

just worked out that if you spend 5 mins putting car in and out of garage you loose over a day of your life a year by doing that!! in 18 months that a whole working week spent moving the car 10 yards!!! Not for me thanks

you work one and a half days per week?

No but a day and a half is 36 hours is it not? 36 hours is more than my 35 hours i work in a week.

Bregante

😳

timbur
    Free Member

Mmm, Roberts Dogs Bolxs. One of my dream bikes!

adeward
    Free Member

somehow i have two vintage cars, and a third in bits and 5 bikes in the garage,,

but i have also 3 bikes in the kitchen,, naughty i know

time for a bigger garage /workshop

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

My storage/workshop…

Hidden in a little alcove just off the living room.

zaskar
    Free Member

I bought a bike stand but it still uses alot f space but stops it falling over:

Some good ideas up for space saving are L brackets on the walls like matthewjb

fruitbat

Workshop with storage solutions? How about this 😆

Andy-W
    Free Member

I have two garges and two sheds that all leak….the bike lives in the house and gets all its TLC in the kitchen

and to take open the garage get the van out and close the garage is less than 60 seconds….and you can load up the van with the bike and gear the night before an early start,, thus saving time in the morning of a day on the bike 😉

taka
    Free Member

ive got 2 3car garages; 1 and 1/2 workshops; stable; loft storage; outhouse storage; steel fabrication workshop; and my bedroom 😉 nuh! :mrgreen:

yetiguy
    Free Member

chubby_monk
    Free Member

DT78 – like your thinking – turning your bars parallel with top tube. Just trying to envisage how it would hook on. Is it that the forks won't be able to turn as the wall gets in the way?

My bike room is about to be merged with the kitchen and apparently I need to find a new home for my bike. It can't go in my other bike room as that's the loft room with my turbo trainer in – not taking a bike into the loft after every ride.

flamejob
    Free Member

Workshop; now with all tools on the wall and some additions (more tools!)

Flameboy lives in the bedroom

Other bikes live in the 'dining room' – this pic was the mounting process

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I see 2 problems with all these lovely displays of bikes hanging on walls.

1) They'd take up less space leaning against a wall.

2) More importantly, most of them aren't locked up.

I lean mine all together against a wall, locked to an F-off great huge ground anchor with a mother-f-ing huge great big chain, with stuff stored above them. Lots better. 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

Peter, there is a very very small chance of someone getting my bikes out; we live on the top floor accessed via a portered entrance. Secondly I think it would take way more room if they were on the floor. My Brompton lives on the floor, but that's a different story 🙂

swoosh
    Free Member

thanks guys, think i'm going to hang them from the roof joists with hooks like druidh. Picked some up from Wilko for £1.08 each. Now i just need to find the time to sort the garage out enough to get the bikes up there!

But in response to PeterPoddys comment, i will be getting myself a couple of huge motorbike chains to lock them all together.

psychle
    Free Member

I'm going to electrify mine… 😈

Flamejob, what're the racks you're using there? I like your display!

thumbie
    Free Member

Hey Clunker….got those racks into aircrete? What fasteners are you using?

Cheers.

flamejob
    Free Member

Mine are from Decathlon, they were blue but I sprayed them white. As far as fixings go mine are into hollow brick with rawlplugs. I had to add some for the DH bike 'cause they were being pulled out.

I was going to put one of those flat Ikea curtain room divider things up to hide them, but Mrs Flamejob said she likes them on show.

clunker

thumbie – Member
    Hey Clunker….got those racks into aircrete? What fasteners are you using?

Cheers.

They each come with two screws to attach to wall but I used four longer ones and suitable wall plugs.

psychle
    Free Member

Cheers mate, Mrs Flamejob obviously has taste and style 8)

DT78
    Free Member

chubby_monk – The bikes themselves rest on their back wheels (to reduce stress on the hooks/shed wall) I remove the front wheels and put the QR or axle back in and use this hold/balance the bike upright on the wallhook by turning the bars parallel

Doing this means I have 5 bikes upright in a tiny shed, and still have space for the commuter with both wheels on unhooked next to them. (and bbq, tools etc…) (space wise think of 5 bike boxes on their end next to each other).

As they are so close together it also means you need fewer locks/chains. I have three kyprtonite chains which run through 3-4 frames at a time.

emac65
    Free Member

Had a tidy up of my garage the other week,got all the bikes/frames(4 of each)hung up on the wall,looked rather smart too,but bare….
    So bought another bike frame to fill it up a bit….. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Show me your bike storage solutions and workshop’ is closed to new replies.