Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Should I grow up as the mrs say's ?
  • mountainman

To set the Scene .
    I am 47 and my wife thinks that i should not be playing around on mountain bikes and also that my brother who is 51 now “should grow up too”and not be trying to relive our younger days doing something we enjoy.
    She has not really got any interest in cycling,i’ve tryed over 24 years to get her more into rideing ,her bike .It has only been out the cellar 4 times in 4 years.And the last comment was “i don’t why you bought me a new bike anyway”
    So should i lock her in the cellar each time i want to ride or when my brother comes to visit or put up and shut up ???

wwaswas

In my head I’m still 12 years old and my wife realises that (not only because of the cycling, it has to be said).

I hope that I stay wanting to be 12 until I’m in a wooden box, tbh.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is she not suffering from cycling widow?
    if you have free tie you spend it on the bike and not with her?

No amount of moaning would make me stop cycling tbh

donsimon
    Free Member

Should I grow up as the mrs say’s ?

I think you should only be able to play on your bikes after you’ve finished and checked your homework. 😛

BoardinBob

Never, ever, grow up

wwaswas

after you’ve finished and checked your homework.

well, there is that. Is the issue the cycling per se or the impact it’sa having on other areas of your life?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You shouldn’t grow up – she should.

prezet
    Free Member

Divorce! 😛

BigJohn

I’m 11 years older than you and Mrs BigJohn knows I only go biking if it’s not windy. Because I go windsurfing then.

Fortunately for me neither of us know what we want to do when we grow up.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Don’t grow up that’s when the relationship dies 😉 Mr MC is shortly hitting the Big 40 and I love that it acts about 15 .. makes me smile as then there’s no depression about birthdays. I think it’s as Junkyard says she’s upset she is a bike widow! Oh dear she’ll have to get to grips with that one, how many years have you been together?

Kevevs
    Free Member

Tell her that someone on the internet called Kev has told you to tell your wife to Get Stuffed!

rewski
    Free Member

Tell her you’ll have to take up golf.

JAG

Don’t you dare 👿

I don’t want any peer pressure for me to grow up!

mountainman

To be honest i can go weeks even months and not have time to go out on the bike,work and house refurbing,maintenance all take priority and my brother comes across prob twice a year.
    If herself gets an invite to a party ,or sister’s 40th p–s up at silly vodka cocktail wkend,she’s gone including £100.dress and god knows how much on hotel n booze.
    Plus MUGGINS here was taxi to station n back for her and her mother.
    Then i get ear ache for £60 on pair winter cycling bottoms so can ride to work instead of using the car.

skiboy
    Free Member

im 43 and have no intention to pack it up anytime before i die,

one of my riding buddies is 63, he gets to go out whenever he likes, but then again he did leave his wife 12000 miles away in australia 😯

my wife does get a little mardy sometimes but i think it’s just a little guilt that she is a little less active and lacking of a sport, hobby, pastime etc.(she does run 4 times a week and rides 15 miles)

I used to wakeboard as well for 15 yrs, but i packed it up when we had the kids 7 yrs back, as it was a little selfish to have to many sports,pastimes etc,

i think you need to make your misses understand that not everybody is content with a life just shopping, sitting in front of the telly and pointlessly eating themselves to death.

some of us need to get out amongst it ,getting muddy and covered in crap in the winter and cuts, bruises and dust and the summer,

no feeling beats it IMO.

joao3v16
    Free Member

“Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?”

“Don’t be silly son, you’re a bloke, you’ll never grow up”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mountainman – it sounds like she has issues!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Males don’t grow up, they just get older.

BigJohn

I take it you’re called Mountainman because you’ve got a mountain to climb…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ85eeZL7yA[/video]

mountainman

Don’t grow up that’s when the relationship dies Mr MC is shortly hitting the Big 40 and I love that it acts about 15 .. makes me smile as then there’s no depression about birthdays. I think it’s as Junkyard says she’s upset she is a bike widow! Oh dear she’ll have to get to grips with that one, how many years have you been together?

Been together 24 years unlike both her sister’s who are on 2nd husbands and divorces.

Any way the more i ride the bike ,the more flexible it keeps me so that has other benefits too.

Think i will just have to get a more sound proof door for the cellar then so the neighbours can’t hear the banging !!!

MrOvershoot

My wife says I’m much less mature than when we met 30 years ago 😀

She said she would hate it if I was sensible and didn’t ride my bike as its part of me.

I know this sounds odd but I think its your wife that needs to “grow up” couples need time to do their own things IMO. We have a few people here at work who tow the party line and just do shopping/diy and they look like empty shells, all they ever talk about is stuff off the TV!!

mountainman

Think i will just have to get a more sound proof door for the cellar then so the neighbours can’t hear the banging !!!

And thats just me chopping up meat !!

ski
    Free Member

Why would you want to grow up?

rewski
    Free Member

If herself gets an invite to a party ,or sister’s 40th p–s up at silly vodka cocktail wkend,she’s gone including £100.dress and god knows how much on hotel n booze.

Sounds like she’s having an affair, order that ti hardtail and carbon full susser now.

lunge

Never grow up, ever, you are a bloke and therefore shouldn’t.

I still ride bikes, I still play games and I spent all of last summer perfecting my kicking so I could drop-kick a rugby ball from my backdoor into a bucket at the other end of the garden. I will never, and would not want to, grow up.

Hell, my dad is 60, married 35 years, 1 knee replacement and he still plays the odd game of football and rides his bikes.

It’s part of who you, me, my dad and every other fella on here is.

Torminalis
    Free Member

DREAMKILLAH!

DaveRambo

You should tell her that you’re not ‘playing around’ on bikes but ensuring you stay physically fit and healthy and relieving the mental stress of modern world to allow you to spend more time with each other as you get older. You have evolved from the traditional grown up man who goes down the pub at night and beats his wife upon his return.

Then phone your brother to ask if he wants to come out and play on your bikes 🙂

mountainman

Sounds like she’s having an affair, order that ti hardtail and carbon full susser now.

Could well be the solution .
    All I Want is a bike with disc’s allround and front suspension!

All joking aside ,i am aware she has issues and part of it is jealously and guilt that she can,t be bothered to leave the Sky box off recording soap crap.
    So has anyone got a link for steel collars n chain i can install in the cellar ?

yunki
    Free Member

in answer to your question… yes

nealglover
    Free Member

My OH doesn’t want me to grow up (which is lucky!)

We have some stuff we do together (biking, hiking) and some stuff we do apart (her-diving. me-skiing)

It works well. If I grew up I wouldn’t be the same person anymore and it probably wouldn’t work as well as it does.

Also I’m already 7 years older than her (39/32) so if I grew up I would feel like an old fart, rather than just looking like one ! :mrgreen:

mountainman

You should tell her that you’re not ‘playing around’ on bikes but ensuring you stay physically fit and healthy and relieving the mental stress of modern world to allow you to spend more time with each other as you get older. You have evolved from the traditional grown up man who goes down the pub at night and beats his wife upon his return.

Then phone your brother to ask if he wants to come out and play on your bikes

I agree with this comment totally.

Know too many people who have suffered at the fists of drunkards for too long .

in answer to your question… yes

got a link for steel collars n chain i can install in the cellar ?

Which blacksmith?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If she cant see why its in her interest for you to carry on biking, then..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me thinks theres deeper problems than just you growing up a bit.

flowerpower
    Free Member

My dad (a roadie in his youth) rediscovered bikes and took up mountain biking at the tender young age of 68. He is now (at 74) trying to teach me how to bunny hop up a kerb.

Hope I grow up as quickly as he has 😉

On a serious note – even if there are underlying issues, I wouldn’t give up your biking. We all need a bit of space and if you don’t get yours on the bike then how else? The underlying issues won’t go away so any other pass time will likely be frowned upon too…

derekrides
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    In my head I’m still 12 years old and my wife realises that (not only because of the cycling, it has to be said).

I hope that I stay wanting to be 12 until I’m in a wooden box, tbh.

I’m three years older than you hah!

15 going on 50, then its 16 going on 60..

It gets to something when both your 15 and 26 yr old daughters tell you to ‘grow up’ echoing the hapless bread knife who it has to be said has long since given up.

Only last night I made a chance remark about a nice coloured shirt some young bloke was wearing in an ad for something or other, she rounded on me, got a veritable tirade of how he was fifteen and at my age etc etc I shouldn’t be dressing like a teenager etc etc. (I wear hoodies, check shirts, skate trainers, BB cap)

But as I point out frequently I was wearing it before them and as a fashion trend setter.. eyes then roll.

So I think the answer is probably never as long as you are lucky with your health, then it will inevitably be the administration of surgical appliances that’ll finally grow us up..

momo

My ex-wife used to moan when I went out biking, but she didn’t have any hobbies of her own so never understood why I enjoyed getting out on the bike so much. The current girlfriend is a horse rider, and takes every opportunity to get out riding, so she fully understands where I’m coming from, she has no problem with me heading off for a weekend biking, this one is definately a keeper!

I’m a few years younger than you (31) but based on my personal experience I would say don’t grow up! If you feel that you’ve been forced to give up a hobby you enjoy, you will only grow to resent her, which will not lead to a healthy future for you.

wwaswas

all of us earlier;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo4Y0TxW41g[/video]

or with a bit less biking in the video;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ysd2ilcx8&feature=fvwrel[/video]

Sue_W
    Free Member

It’s not a question of ‘not growing up’, but continuing to live your life with passion, energy and enthusiasm. I think I’ve ‘grown up’ as I don’t have the same life now as when I was 20, but I now bike / hike / climb / travel more than I used, so if that counts as ‘growing up’ – bring it on 🙂

Life is for living, each and everyday, by giving it all that you’ve got. So carry on biking etc, but also embrace your relationship with enthusiasm, love and passion – and if you don’t ever feel that, is it really what you want?

BTW – not all women live only for soaps, shopping and handbags you know!

clubber
    Free Member

BTW – not all women live only for soaps, shopping and handbags you know!

Of course, they don’t. Now calm down dear 😉

To the OP, think you need to get some balance back into your relationship…

mudshark
    Free Member

When mtbers grow up they get road bikes. Not sure if that’s a good thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Should I grow up as the mrs say's ?’ is closed to new replies.