Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shortlist suggestions for a long-ish travel bike
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Jnr’s been saving money and accumulating birthday/Christmas presents and wants to use it on a new bike with us making up the difference (again Birthday/Christmas presents). Budget is a reasonable £2k max – although we’d prefer much lower is possible!

He wanted a downhill bike, but it really wouldn’t get a huge amount of use apart from holidays and every other weekend in the local bike park. I’ve turned him round to wanting something which would be fine on normal trail rides but with long-ish travel(150mm+). He’s a big lad, 6′ 1″ but hopefully won’t get too much bigger.

So far the short list consists of On One Codeine, Cube Stereo 160 and had the YT Capra on it but it’s out of stock for a long time.

What else should we be considering?

jam-bo

new? get a lot more for your money s/h.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Giant Trance?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Bird Aeris seems to be one of the standard answers on these threads lately. And for good reason I’m told.

trusty

Vitus sommet?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Radon Swoop by far.

doubleu
    Free Member

If he originally wanted a downhill bike, then whatever he gets he’ll still be wanting to do all the big stuff on it. YT Capra would be ideal. Bird Aeris isn’t burly enough.

Norco Range? Evans have the 7.1 in for just a smidge over budget and its 170mm Fox 36 will take punishment. I have last years model and its fine in bike parks.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Meh, Capras are too short – that Radon has lovely geo and the spec is mint!

chakaping
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega? Airdrop Edit?

Both have great geometry for bigger riders, with 10% off the NP with BC discount at CRC (same for Vitus, but I’d take the Mega in preference).

craigofscotland
    Free Member

Vitus gets the bang for buck aware though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Vitus would possibly be a better buy for someone after an all rounder, bit better VFM as you say.

I just thought Mega because of the lad’s original preference for a DH bike. Dirt review said it had a lovely stiff frame and it’s just a bit more aggressive geometry.

But TBH if it were me I’d get the Swoop mentioned above…
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-swoop-170-9.0-1×11-465500?currency=3&delivery_country=190&varid=465504&gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYrrATFUmjl-FQKPy7HHp2h81waqD4xTMFUCoLnJjRBiBoCVxHw_wcB

Lyrik, Vivid Air, Sram GX, Reverb – crazy value and looks like great geometry.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all. There’s some suggestions that we hadn’t looked at.

I’d looked at the CRC options but kind of discounted them as I’d prefer him to be able to at least sit on one before buying (even though I’ve bought a Vitus from CRC in the past). I’ll have another look.

benpinnick

Bird Aeris isn’t burly enough

I don’t know why you’d think that – given the Aeris is currently the inter-service DH champ (Army/Navy/Air Force) raced at Revolution Bike Park, beating all the guys on big rigs, the only non-DH bike in the BUSA champs top 5 (at Antur Stiniog) and raced to the podium, including the top step at numerous local DH events in the last year, I think the Aeris probably holds its own in terms of Enduro bikes racing DH 😉

This will not invalidate your warranty 🙂

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Commencal Meta, Rose Uncle Jimbo, Giant Reign?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shortlist suggestions for a long-ish travel bike’ is closed to new replies.