Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shortening cranks.
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I have a 175mm ISIS Race Face Turbine forged crankset, currently in use as a door handle. How difficult would it be to thread it with pedal threads at 152mm and chop off the excess? and cost? Ta

bencooper
    Free Member

I do it – I have a special jig to get the new hole exactly parallel, and proper cutting taps (not the cheap clearing ones). £20 per crank.

poah
    Free Member

ben, Can you pm me any details of what you can and can’t shorten cranks so I can add it to my kids crank blog page.

cheers

theocb
    Free Member

High path engineering also shorten cranks.. Wales I think.

Mike Burrows in Norfolk does the job too.

All similar prices to Ben though, I only posted in case you are local to the others.

bencooper
    Free Member

Sadly I think Chris’s health isn’t up to him doing things like that, but yes there’s Mike 😉

There’s no PM facility on here is there?

bencooper
    Free Member

Before and after:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rwP5iK]Crank shortening[/url] by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

Basically, there needs to be enough metal there to drill and tap – so no hollow cranks or ones with very cut-away backs. Also need enough metal at the end, so can’t shorten by less than 22mm or so.

theocb
    Free Member

Yes I had heard Chris was not able to carry on but I think someone was poised to take over and continue the work carried out by highpath.

OP. Those Turbines might be a bit tricky if they have been heavily machined for weight saving but Ben will prob know much more than I on what can or can’t be achieved.
    EDIT: As if by magic he proves my point :0)

ahwiles
    Free Member

funny, i’ve just picked up some shortened cranks (140mm) from the postie this morning…

i bought some SRAM S600 cranks for £36 from Evans, i sent them to Highpath* who have done a bloody good job for £40.

The s600 cranks are a solid, un-sculpted arm, a bit heavy** but perfect for shortening.

why don’t the big names (Shimano, SRAM, FSA, etc.) make cranks for people less than 5’10”?

(*a very professional chap called Patrick is now at the coal face at Highpath)

(**after shortening, the pair weighs 501grams)

Milkie
    Free Member

crankset, currently in use as a door handle

😯
    C’mon, where’s the pics!? 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

Qwerty: 152 is a very specific number, how did you arrive at that?

i got 140mm, by simply multiplying 175mm by the ratio of legsA / legsB.

A = my wife

B = me, happy as i am with 175’s (36″ legs)

curvature
    Free Member

I got my son some shortened Sram cranks from the US.

You can use the Sram ones listed above or Truativ but as above they must be solid.

My son’s are 145mm.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ben – ta, i need to consider overall cost of blinging a kids bike.

Milkie – see here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-us-your-alternative-uses-for-bicycle-components?replies=1#post-6802681

Ahwiles – 152mm cos thats what it currently has

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shortening cranks.’ is closed to new replies.