Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Short people / Hobbits / Midgets… what FS Bike do you ride??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

What do the fellow short arses of the forum ride??
    Im after a different frame from my current bike (dartmoor shine).
    Im somewhere around/ just under 165cm / 5ft 5″.
    Inspire me with a do it all FS..

Was looking at Banshee spitfires but not sure whether id even fit a small.

gavstorie
    Free Member

5ft5 isnt particularly short.. I know people wh are 5ft2 that ride Orange 5’s and Trek Remedy 9’s

andybrad

im your size (but probably fatter) and rise a small orange 5. Its good.

cinnamon_girl

Small Mojo, has a short tt.

cloudnine
    Free Member

5ft5 isnt particularly short

Oh.. your just a charmer you flirt, you.

Couldnt bring myself to buy an orange 5. Ive spent my whole forum life poking fun at them.

connect2

5′ 5″? How’s the weather up there? 😀

I’m 5′ 4″ and ride a small Titus El Guapo, does me fine. Running a 125mm KS Lev and could get away with a 150mm

Had a medium Commencal Meta 5.5 before that, seat tube was a touch long (I could still use the Lev but it was hard on the seat post clamp) but it had a short top tube

dirtyrider
    Free Member

5’6″ – medium TallboyC

grey

You’d fit a xs or s Orange Five, I’m about 5’6″ and ride a small Five and have just bought a Five AM with 29″ wheels.
    Bit different but you’d probably fit the xs Bird Aeris with the 15″ seat tube.

Simwit

5’6″ in thick socks & ride a small Turner Burner, could probably get away with the medium too.

coogan
    Free Member

5′ 6″ small Pivot Mach 6. They also do an extra small too.

Vortexracing

I’m 5ft 4″ and have a 5 spot in small, I have also has 2 x Ventana 5’s.

theaccountant
    Free Member

5’5″ – you are a giant! 😯

I’m 5’1″ and have an XS Canyon Spectral AL 8.0 2014

Looking at a road bike this weekend too – 49cm Specialized Elite Secteur Disc…..for occasional use obviously 😆

Euro
    Free Member

Kona HiHo-HiHo (it’s off to work we go)

mamadirt
    Free Member

Loving your little Dartmoor Shine 8) . I’m 5’2″ and ride a 15″ Cove Hooker (pretty long in the toptube), 16″ Cove STD for DH (mahoosive bike for short-arses but the short TT makes it very manageable) and a 15″ older Kona Stinky which fits pretty much in the middle of those two size-wise.

tonyd

5’6″ in heels here. Currently on a small ASR-5 and really enjoying it. Previous bikes include small Orange Five which was fun too.

GRAEMEJONES

5′ 5″” on a big day, small Nukeproof Mega TR275

Vortexracing

Oh and I also ride small Cotic, but that’s a Hardtail.

hels
    Free Member

5 nothing here. Frame size is important, but you can do a lot with stems and seat position etc. Small cranks really help, and terrible unfashionable narrow bars so you aren’t all leaning forward to reach the ends of them.

Cove Hooker, for the record, with shortest stem ever and 165mm cranks.

ceepers

Hair over 5’6 small soul and a medium transition bandit

towzer

5ft 5, Orange 5 16 with 50 stem (and have 14 as well – as a spare and it will do as spare for gf)

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

small giant reign,excellent do it all bike or if not heavy the trance is very good

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Couldnt bring myself to buy an orange 5. Ive spent my whole forum life poking fun at them

Ton pokes fun at them but he told me they were one of the best bikes out there!
    (unless he just felt sorry for me)

I’m 5ft 6 (just) & my 16″ 5 is spot on.

ART

Still going on this! 😉 Most small frames will fit you fine with the correct stem/ bars tweakage, even taking into account the trend for longer TTEs etc etc. At 5’4″ I’ve had no problem at all finding frames to fit (Mega now sold BTW 😥 )

blindboy
    Free Member

5’4″ small Bronson, also run 165mm cranks

wolfenstein
    Free Member

5’5.5″ (seriously)

Yeti asr 5 / giant anthem / nuke mega .. All sizes in small in 26″ flavour ..all bang on.

zedz
    Free Member

5’6″ Small SB66 160mm forks and 50mm stem, 730mm bars. Very comfortable 😀

Northwind

cloudnine – Member

Couldnt bring myself to buy an orange 5. Ive spent my whole forum life poking fun at them.

TBH becoming an orange owner just opens up a new branch of pisstaking opportunities, it’s great!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I’m five six, I ride a santa cruz blur .short top tube suits me fine.and I got the hobbit hairy leg thing going on

thekettle
    Free Member

5’4 Nukeproof Mega in small, 35mm stem and 800m bars 😯

toys19
    Free Member

167cm 27.5″ inside leg.
    Small nukeproof mega tr 26 35mm stem 760 bars fits fine
    Small Tranny Covert 35mm stem 760 bars fits fine
    Small Tranny Tr450 780 bars fits fine
    XS Bfe 35mm stem 760 bars (best fit of any bike I’ve ever had)

Used to ride small 2004 SC Bullit, that was a good fit too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

TBH becoming an orange owner just opens up a new branch of pisstaking opportunities, it’s great!

Crack on then!

Look at the size of me….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nD6W8R]Aug 2011 008[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

chiefgrooveguru

You’d fit a small Spitfire – it’s a 15.5″ seat tube with a low top tube and BB so there’s a lot of stand-over clearance. Reach is long but that’s just modern geometry (which many others are now catching up with) so you can run a really short stem for better steering feel with the slack head angle.

chiefgrooveguru

Best way to compare is look up the stack and reach of your current bike, add your spacer height and bar rise to the stack height, and add your stem length to the reach. If your bike feels exactly right now in terms of fit then your new bike needs to have no more stack height (remember you can run the stem slammed and flat bars) than the current total stack (inc spacers and bar rise); and with a 30mm stem added to the reach the total be no more than your current total reach (inc stem).

The rest doesn’t really matter with a bike that’s mostly about going downhill. Definitely run 165mm (or shorter!) cranks – I’m on 170s on my full-sus with 33″ legs and I swear I pedal better than on the 175s on my hardtail.

takisawa2

My mates short.
    His dropper post is used as an accessibility aid.
    A bit like an automatic camel.

colournoise

5’6″ (30″ inside leg).

XS (14″) Cotic BFe – inline seatpost (Reverb) / 50mm stem / 740mm bars
    S (16″) Alpine 160 – inline seatpost (Reverb) / 35mm stem / 740mm bars

Both fit just fine. Alpine is probably a slightly better fit (think it’s a bit longer).

myti
    Free Member

I’m riding a small specialized stumpy and it’s the most comfortable and best fit of all the bikes I currently ride. I’m only an inch taller than you. My Saracen Ariel 15inch was also a good fit if a touch short in the top tube as I have long arms and is for sale if you’re looking for a frame

captainsideburns
    Free Member

5’3″ 15.5 trek fuel ex8 26″ wheels, can’t quite get it to fit and feel as nice as my 15″ specialized fate 29″ hardtail.

Also what do you peeps do for shorts?
    I can’t seem to find them small enough anymore:(

sam_underhill

5’6″ and a bit here. Medium Turner Flux and medium burner. On the geo chart I’m only just a medium, but I’d not want them any smaller. They fit great, both different but for different purposes.

Mrs is 5’1″ and rides a small trek Lush. She loves it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just to add to this.. Now have a small covert frame on the way. I probably even have enough spares to run my shine single speed too.

Kahurangi

5’5″ isn’t short.

The Mrs is 5’0″ and rides an XS Mach 5.7 C. Fits nicely with a 50 mm stem and can just get a 125 mm drop KS Lev under.

The SiL who is an inch or two taller has a Orange 5 Diva in S.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Short people / Hobbits / Midgets… what FS Bike do you ride??’ is closed to new replies.