Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Shock Bushes Coming Out?
  • fathomer

Obviously shouldn’t happen, but what can cause a shock bush to work it’s way out? As you can see in the pic, my two ride old bush has started to work its way out and the rubber ring from the heavy duty mount has been pushed in.

I had them come out slightly before but never this quick and not as bad. Nothings loose and I can’t feel any play in the rear.

Any help is much appreciated.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Erm, are the spacers in there?

legend
    Free Member

Looks like your shocks squint in the mount? Not an Intense is it?

fathomer

wysiwyg – Member

Erm, are the spacers in there?

The rubber spacer has worked it’s way into the eyelet, I assume pushing the bush out.

legend – Member

Looks like your shocks squint in the mount? Not an Intense is it?

Don’t think so, think it’s the angle I’ve taken the pic at. It’s a Santa Cruz for what it’s worth.

Never had an issue until I started using the heavy duty mounts, think I might bite the bullet and give the low friction ones a go.

RustyMac

Is there not some top hat style spacers that go over the top of the heavy duty mount kit to keep the shock centred?

See the silver bits on the pic in the link below.
    http://www.tftuned.com/tech-help/71-mount-kits-and-bushings-for-rear-shocks-a-guide

Edit there are alot of pics on that link, I was meaning the top pic. Pic 4 shows an exploded view – it is the parts marked as spacers I am referring to /edit

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s meant to be a couple of metal spacers in there… Should not be able to move.

fathomer

It has one of these in.

You can see the two metal parts on the outer most edges, one of the rubber spacers on the right (between the metal spacer and bush that’s sticking out) the other has worked it’s way into the eyelet.

iffoverload
    Free Member

the spacers must be a bit too narrow/thin, they should be a fraction less than the part that runs through the bushing when assembled with the o-rings,

the o-rings could still compress if the shock is trying to creep to one side for some reason.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If its got a spacer either side, hows it further to the left?

molgrips
    Free Member

Your frame might be bent…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ah, it’s nearly an Intense. Pretty standard for ’em to be squint, you’d expect a cousin to be a bit wonky too…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep looks like you are missing the 2 metal spacers that sit outside of the rubber rings. There should be no room for the shock to move.

This is what I think you have

This shows one of the spacers fitted and one is on the table to be fitted

fathomer

I’m 99.9% sure I’ve got everything, from the left:
    Metal spacer
    Rubber spacer shoved in to eyelet
    Shock
    Bush sticking out
    Rubber spacer
    Metal spacer

Pretty sure the carbon frame isn’t bent, but you never know!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not what the pic looks like, take it out and have a look. With the shock in my pic in my hands the metal spacer is bigger than the bush. Also when fitted to the bike it makes a solid row, there is no where for the shock to move.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So what im now seeing is the rubber spacer on the left is vanished and the whole shebangs moved left in its space. I see.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wysiwyg – the rubber “spacer” is just a tiny bit, it really just seems to help you not jam the mounting hardware onto the shock and make it easier to remove. It’s not a spacer.

legend
    Free Member

I’m now thinking that the eyelet’s worn, so the force required to shift the bush has dropped right off. Especially if similar things have been happening before

mikewsmith
    Free Member

legend, can’t see that either, the outer mounting hardware is bigger than the eyelet, and the width of the hardware plus the shock in there should equal the width of the hole.

RustyMac

If as you say the rubber o-ring has been sucked into the eyelet of the shock is there a bushing in there?

On all the rear shocks i have had there would not be a cat in hell’s chance that i could fit a fag paper in the eyelet of shock when it was mounted let alone a o-ring get pulled in there.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Mike> your rubbers in pics supplied look nearly as wide as the hardware spacer

mikewsmith
    Free Member

about a 1/3 still wont account for the OP’s problem.
    The fact the o ring is sat proud of the shaft tells me something is missing, they should be flush with the outer mounting hardware.

richwales

The gap between the linkage should be just enough for the shock body (eyelet) 2 rubber seals and 2 metal spacers. Did you find it was a tight fit when you put the shock and mounting hardware into the gap before putting the bolt thru?The space you’ve got there where the du bush has come out looks more than the width of a rubber spacer. I’d be thinking wrong size mounting kit or bent link.

legend
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    legend, can’t see that either, the outer mounting hardware is bigger than the eyelet, and the width of the hardware plus the shock in there should equal the width of the hole.

Well of course you can’t see that. If the shock is no longer able to grip the bush adequately then there’s a very good chance that the shock itself is now ovalised

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll wait until the OP takes the shock out and reports back. If you can now push the outer mounting (which by the looks of the shock would be the spacers not top hats) inside the shock then it’s truly knackered. Take a look at the first pic, the rubber is sitting very proud of the main shaft, as if there are 2 metal washers missing from the shaft making up the mounting hardware.

fathomer

This is what I’ve taken out this morning. The ‘C’ shaped bit was wedged in the eyelet. I guess some has ended up in there and the part that wouldn’t fit has ripped off. The rubber is pretty soft so I can kind of see how it’s happened.

The axle pin was pretty solidly in the bush and a quick pull wouldn’t release it.

Oh and thanks for all the responses so far.

benpinnick

Its possible to do on that sort of hardware if you destroy the rubber/plastic seal. I would however question why its moved over, the shock’s natural behaviour should be to stay aligned. The fact that you bust the seal in the first place suggests excessive wear on that side (due to a wonky frame)

legend
    Free Member

Easy test based on what Ben is saying here ^. Take out the thru-pin part of the reducer, put the spacers to the side, mount the shock just with the DU and the frame’s shock bolt (don’t ride it obvs) and see where the shock naturally wants to sit. Your original photos definitely make it look like something is out of line

fathomer

Thanks chaps, I’ll have a look when I’m home tonight and report back.

Hopefully it’s not wonky, I didn’t think carbon bent to be honest and it’s been fine till I started using the heavy duty mount kit.

fathomer

So I’ve just been in the garage and put the shock bolt through with just the bush in. Using my expensive callipers* I’ve measured the gap between the linkage and the edge of the shock to be near enough 5mm each side (give or take a smidge), so reasonably straight, I think.

* Aldi specials

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Shock Bushes Coming Out?’ is closed to new replies.