Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano XT M785 Caliper Leak
  • allyharp

My front XT brake appears to be leaking fluid at the caliper end, right where the metal nut joins the hose to the caliper.

Has anyone fixed this before or is it likely to be a warranty job? The tech doc shows there are 2 o-rings with the banjo bolt which could be aligned faulty, but I’d rather not pull it apart if it’s clearly a problem I’m unlikely to fix.

I’ve just discovered it as it isn’t affecting brake feel at the lever, but has managed to contaminate 2 sets of pads so far.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

should be able to sort it. MIght even just need to be nipped up.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Leak at banjo….a common fault….warranty replacement.

As per recent post on this same question
    [/url]

My new 2012 XT’s were fabulous…I stress WERE as the front calliper has blown a piston seal at 4 months old (less than 1 trail ride a week average) and it’s been in the shop coming up to two weeks waiting for parts……seems I’m not alone and there are possible manufacturing issues resulting in banjo and piston leaks…..
    see discussion at…… http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/love-new-2012-xt-brakes-734689-3.html

Hope a seal replace sorts them as they are superb when working…..but reliability is now in doubt for me at least.

and the outcome…..

Ok have heard back from the LBS. The bad news…..no 2012 XT piston seal parts available in the UK. The good news…..warranty swap out of whole front calliper + new pads! Result, but doesn’t bode well for the Shimano option….looks like this is an acknowledged problem.
    Good result in the end but 2 weeks no riding while waiting for the warranty swap. To the shimano distributors credit they sent the replacement immediately before the faulty calliper was sent back. Seems the chat amongst tinkering friends though is that when things go wrong Hopes are self serviceable, and Shimano’s are swop outs….. will be interested to hear others comments.

winrya
    Free Member

Any updates on this. Noticed my pads had a fair bit of oil on them today. Feel is still the same now pads are replaced but worried I have this fault?!

How do you go about warranty claims for shimano? Purchased from rose bikes

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

How do you go about warranty claims for shimano? Purchased from rose bikes

In theory – any shimano dealer will help you. I guess especially if they know you / have a relationship with them. Shouldnt matter in theory if you bought a whole bike from Trek in Birmingham and your local is a Spesh from Manchester. In theory.

There is a thing called “shimano tech centres” (I’ll check the name) and there is a designated one in one lbs in most major towns.

Legally – the warranty is euro wide. But I dont think you need to get all ballsy – IME. A lbs calls / returns to Madison- it sounds reasonalbe – it gets fixed.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

LBS sorted mine for me (blown piston seals…no spares available in UK….warranty replacement)…..a big up for Ben at Venture Bikes for the (more southerly) brummy-massive.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I had the same problem, went through LBS and they’re now at Maddison. (I bought from Rose too). Taken their time fixing them, 5 weeks tomorrow and I still don’t have them. I’ve had to use poverty spec formula rx brakes and it’s just so degrading.

jasondrake
    Free Member

I’ve sent two sets of XT’s back for caliper seal failure now. Both warrantied within few weeks, no real explanation from Shimano. It’s a known problem I gather, and sadly not fixable. Bit disappointing, when they worked they worked nicely.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I’ve just took delivery of a brand new pair from Rose, I’m now thinking I may be better sending them back for replacement before they get fitted.

It wouldn’t be so bad if they where mine but they’re a friends who bought them on my recommendation after reading nothing but glowing reviews.

Trying to get hold of 2012 Shimano spares in the UK is a joke!

What to do?

winrya
    Free Member

5 weeks unable to ride my bike doesn’t sound good. There is no evidence of a leak from a piston, looks to me like there is oil around the hose. Surely an easy fix. Gonna drop it in at my local shimano service centre next time I’m passing and see what they say

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT M785 Caliper Leak’ is closed to new replies.