Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • shimano STI compatability question ?
  • iainc

my 5 yrs old 105 STI’s have died, or more to the point the left one has. Can I replace with the newer 5700 levers ? I realise I will need to recable etc

simondbarnes

Yes.

(assuming your old shifters are 10spd? Can’t remember when they went from 9 – 10)

iainc

simon, yes old ones are 10, with a double on the front. Wiggle have the 5700’s at £150 a pair, so think will have to bite the bullet..

iainc

thanks Simon – ordered, RH one going on classifieds shortly ! LH one in bucket 🙁

simonbowns
    Free Member

let me know about the RH STI please…

simonbowns@me.com

iainc

simon just mailed you (crappy phone pics, and just going out till this evening, but if you are keen I can get some decent pics later on)

Mister-P
    Free Member

You could just stick a new main lever assembly in the left lever.

njee20
    Free Member

Isn’t the front mech and brake cable pull different on the 5700s…

simondbarnes

A bit, but all seems to work ok 🙂

iainc

Mister P – Member
    You could just stick a new main lever assembly in the left lever.

It’s the ratchets that are knackered so I don’t think the lever assembly would sort it. Just hoping that the 5700 STI’s will work with 5600 mechs

crazybaboon

I’ve replaced my ultegra 6600 shifters with 5700 105 shifters due to crash damage and the shifting is fine, but the braking seems a bit weak, the pads need replacing so hopefully will improve

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just to try it… lots of WD40 may help. Or petrol to de gunk then WD

Mister-P
    Free Member

The lever assembly replaces all the ratchets. If it is a 5600 lever there was a known fault with them so you may get it swapped for free if you speak nicely to the shop you got the levers from.

iainc

A bit, but all seems to work ok

thanks. I am using Tektro Canti’s so brakes will hopefully be fine. Mechs are the old 5600’s though…

iainc

Found a pair of 5600 sti’s on Amazon so can now replace like with like :). thanks all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘shimano STI compatability question ?’ is closed to new replies.