Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • shimano rear mech knowledge?
  • soulrider
    Free Member

a number of my bikes are happily running 9-spd, however a stick rear mech interface has caused some issues.

Can Shimano 10 Spd Shadow+ Rear MEchs (the ones with the clutchy thingy ma bob) me used with 9spd shifters?
    In theory the mechanical leverage of the 9spd shifter should allow it
    but Shimano may have altered something to prevent this?? any one tried it before I hit the buy button.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No, they have changed the actuation.

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t be done. Can be made to work with SRAM 9 speed shifters by use of a spacer. Bit of a bodge, but works well by all accounts!

robdeanhove
    Free Member

So does that mean there is no Shimano 9s compatible clutch-type rear mech out there?

I have a shimano 9s shifter, a perfectly useable cassette, a spare cassette and a couple of spare chains, so I want to keep everything 9s, with my Shimano shifter. However, I need a new mech. Is there no clutch solution out there that allows me to keep my 9s cassette and shimano 9s shifter? 🙁

simondbarnes

Is there no clutch solution out there that allows me to keep my 9s cassette and shimano 9s shifter?

No

njee20
    Free Member

He’s right.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Ah-ha! There is a solution here (luckily I can speak some German), for €15 someone in Germany modifying 10s mechs to 9s actuation:

http://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/42978-umbau-shadow-plus-auf-9-fach-kettengluck-2-0

Of course, this is also someone doing it in Germany…. No-one doing this, or offering any sort of adapter in the UK? I can’t find one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘shimano rear mech knowledge?’ is closed to new replies.