Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shimano rear mech cage length confusion
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

This XT shadow rear mech is advertised as a “GS” cage (so I assumed medium) but in actuality it’s a long cage. Unfortunately Shimano don’t help matters by not stamping the configuration on their mechs.

Are the 786s available as SGS, GS and LGS, or just SGS and GS with the GS being their long cage? Confused!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

SGS is long and GS is medium. It looks like a GS in the photo that you linked to. SGS look super long nowadays, at least to me anyway.

Not sure what they call Saint and Zee cages. I am sure someone will be along soon to enlighten.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Saint and Zee cages are SS.

I’d say the image on the On-One website is a GS (medium cage) mech. This is an SGS (long cage) mech and they are huge.

andyl
    Free Member

SGS and GS. GS = long cage, SGS = super long cage IIRC but most people call them medium and long.

SGS max capacity 43T

GS max capacity 35T

Both have a cassette range of 11-36

(from shimano spec page)

nemesis
    Free Member

Saint and Zee cages are SS.

You can get Zee in short (1x) and medium (2x)

Mister-P
    Free Member

You can get Zee in short (1x) and medium (2x)

No you can’t. You can get a DH or a FR variant but they both have the same cage length. The only difference between the two versions is the Bracket Axle Unit (the black bit that bolts to the mech hanger).

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Thanks. The mech I ordered as a GS is definitely the same as the SGS in the photo. It might be a one-off mistake, but I’d say beware before ordering one at £34.95.

nemesis
    Free Member

Mister P – Member

No you can’t. You can get a DH or a FR variant but they both have the same cage length. The only difference between the two versions is the Bracket Axle Unit (the black bit that bolts to the mech hanger).

It would appear that you are indeed correct 😳

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Mrs Wachowchow has a 9sp SGS (Long) XT rear on her 26″ wheeled 5 Spot and can nearly use it as a stabilizer its so long. I only fitted it because she kept shifting into big – big with a GS and we had to split the chain each time to get going again.

I still reckon that is a GS in the photo.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Considering who I work for I would hope I have a bit of an idea on these things 😆

andyl
    Free Member

Photo on on-one site is a GS. That’s all they have in stock. Description mentions SGS but never trust on one descriptions and photos. Go on the model in the drop down list and check the specs yourself.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have just measured a GS cage and it is 95mm between jockey wheel bolts.

Scapegoat

The photo on the On One site is a GS. They don’t stamp the configuration on the mech as only the length of the cage differs, not the mechs…..

Good price that. I thought I’d done well with one from Ribble at £39.99. 🙁

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Photo on on-one site is a GS. That’s all they have in stock. Description mentions SGS but never trust on one descriptions and photos. Go on the model in the drop down list and check the specs yourself.

Yes, photo is GS, drop-down option is GS only, but item delivered was an SGS, hence why I said earlier, buyer beware – unless of course, mine was a one-off delivery mistake.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shimano rear mech cage length confusion’ is closed to new replies.