Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shimano jockey wheels! Which ones?
  • tk46hal
    Free Member

Will these marry up to this 2006 XT 9 speed rear mech?
    These are the only ones listed on the Merlin web site for Shimano, but are Deore?

Thanks!

bigbloke
    Free Member

i used BBB wheels no issues at all.

PaulD
    Free Member

+1 for BBB £10.33 from Dotbike.

http://www.dotbike.com/p/3992

Get the 11T steel bearings, remove a rubber seal and fill with grease.
    Fit to mech and ride…for years.

The pack you show is a bushed ‘bearing’ as fitted to SLX and all lower Groupos. They last no time and soon give a shonky change.

PaulD

tk46hal
    Free Member

Thanks for that! 😀

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Another for BBB

rob-jackson
    Free Member

-1 for BBB
    mine were packed with grease BUT then siezed. Bushing jockey wheels are better as bearings that small are shite

mudshark
    Free Member

Anyone tried aluminium jockey wheels? There’s quite a variety on Ebay.

andrewh
    Free Member

These are great http://mtzoom.com/jockey-wheels/
    about the only component to survive Kielder this year…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

£31 ffs!

andrewh
    Free Member

About the same price as XTR, and so far much more robust. Not cheap, but you do get what you pay for. Actually, cheaper than three pairs of Deore, and I suspect will last more than three times as long…

mickle141
    Free Member
    schmiken

I’ve got KCNC jockey wheels. One bearing change after three years (£7) and still going strong.

shatner
    Free Member

when my Shimano wheels wore out, I tried the bbb ones – After ONE ride in the wet the bearings had seized…went back to Shimano…bushings work way better

tazzymtb

kcnc ones were in all my XTR rears, when i was one of the gear dangley brigade. Light, pimpy, no fuss.

PaulD
    Free Member

shatner,

Tell me you filled the bearings with grease and they still failed after one wet ride….I have used BBB for years on several bikes and have yet to replace a single jockey.

Bushings are OK for the lower jockey which is only there to help take up the slack and can be replaced with a nail/twig/cable-tie in an emergency.
    The guide pulley needs to be firmly located in the vertical line to allow good shifting, and bushes always wear rapidly.
    The XT ceramic bearing is actually a very clever design and I have yet to have one fail even if run dry. Eventually the teeth disappear and shifting suffers….time for a BBB full of grease.

PaulD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shimano jockey wheels! Which ones?’ is closed to new replies.