Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano cable disc failure

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano cable disc failure
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

Started off with a odd clunk when braking, I though initially it was the headset. Yesterday though going home, big clunk and the front lever jumped in the the bars and the front brake failed. I haven’t had a proper look at it yet but it looks like the Calliper’s knackered. When you pull gently it works ok, but as I apply more pressure calliper just releases and the lever comes in to the bars with a clunk from the calliper.

any body else had one fail like this? can I buy just a calliper, can’t see ’em on CRC, SJS or Rose

29erKeith
    Free Member

just me then 🙁

just glad it didn’t go at a nasty junction or an emergency I suppose

AlanMc100
    Free Member

Never had a mechanical brake fail like that – but a replacement one shouldn’t break the bank from the good old Woolly Hat Shop (they also do them in black) :-

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Brakes-Disc-Brakes/Disc-Brake-Front/Shimano-416-SILVER-Mechanical-Front-Disc-Brake-with-160mm-IS-Bracket-Adaptor-No-Rotor-/prod_5603.html

(Glad you didn’t end up in A&E !!)

Alan

29erKeith
    Free Member

cheers Alan

I assume the callipers are all compatible, the calliper is a different model to that one. it looks more like this one

which takes these pads

which are the same ones on all of my other bikes so it’d be nice to try to keep them the same from a spares point of view, the pads also look easier to change.

AlanMc100
    Free Member

Ah, right – it looks like you are using the M545 or possibly R505 callipers. (They will have the exact reference printed on them somewhere)
    If you want to stick with the same type of calliper to maintain the continuity with your pads, it looks like you will need to have a trawl on the net for a suitable source as they were superseded a while ago. (I rather suspect that price-wise you will be looking at £35-£40)
    Good luck
    Alan

29erKeith
    Free Member

cheers again, yeah I think it’s the 545 I can’t seem to see any callipers which take the same pads

29erKeith
    Free Member

R505
    £60 from tredz inc. disc and cable
    or ebay from the states for £35 incP&P + taxes

Edric64
    Free Member
    29erKeith
    Free Member

Drops on a Genisis CDF so STI levers
    Road\CX Hydro’s are still a bit pricey I think

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano cable disc failure’ is closed to new replies.