• This topic has 19 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shimano 15mm hub – convert to 9mm?
  • DezB
    Free Member

Need to get my son’s front wheel (qr hub) straightened and he uses his bike every day, so trying to work out how to get one of my spares, which are all 15mm , on there for a few days. Have an American Classic and a Shimano Xt.
    Have seen adapters on Ebay but only fromTaiwan. Is there anything officially Shimano?
    Thanks!

lustyd
    Free Member

He only has one bike? Isn’t that child abuse? N+1 exists for exactly this scenario!
    How bent is the wheel, couldn’t you just true it one evening? It’s not a hard task for mild cases just a quarter turn here or there.

DezB
    Free Member

Its not badly out, but my truing skills are underdeveloped!

lustyd
    Free Member

A zip tie either side as a guide will show you where it’s out (rim brakes don’t need this). Tighten spokes to pull the rim into shape, do them in groups of three or four with a couple either side of the error. Never turn more than a quarter at a time and always spin to see the effect before doing another turn. You have plenty of wheels by the sound of it so know how tight a normal spoke feels, try this by squeezing two parallel spokes together on the same side of the wheel. It’s surprisingly intuitive. If there’s more than a 2mm deflection go to a shop but small errors are easier than you’d think.

DezB
    Free Member

Whats the worst that could happen?! Thanks, I’ll give it a go – tightening a spoke is anti-clockwise iirc??

granny_ring

CRC used to sell an adapter axle think it was a nukeproof?

granny_ring

BINGO

Would that work?

poah
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

I have a pair of those Mavic adapters. Not obvious how to fit em though. Remove the axle? I’ll check Shimanos tech docs
    Cheers fellas

lustyd
    Free Member

@dez leftie loosey righty tighty looking at the nipple from the top just like any screw so yes you’re right 🙂

poah
    Free Member

The mavic adaptors just pop into the axle. Push in with your thumb

DezB
    Free Member

Ah yes.. the spare adapters I had were 20mm-9mm.. but! in my spare set of Mavic road wheels, the very thing!
    Thanks all. Should be solved one way or the other now. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Ho-hum… adapters didn’t work, made the axle far too wide to fit in the forks.
    Found that the Shimano 15mm XT hub has a locknut that you need a cone spanner for, but is a larger size than any cone spanner I have (18mm) or have found on the web… anyone know where I can get a spanner to adjust these hubs?? Why oh why did I buy a bike with Shimano hubbed wheels? 😥
    (Techdocs say it’s either a 22, 23 or 24mm depending on hub. jeez)

otsdr
    Free Member

The Mavic adapters are supposed to fit in a recess in the Mavic hub axle, so they don’t stick past the 100mm OLD.
    The Nukeproof-style adapters are simple reducers, they should work. Pretty useful to have in the parts bin, methinks.

DezB
    Free Member

Yup, no-one has em in stock though 🙁

otsdr
    Free Member

There’s a similar one from Ritchey available on tredz and wheelies.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks – also found some adapters on JRA, plus all the spanners I’ll need.

Dickyboy

Dez – you shouldn’t need any spanners to change 15mm hub to qr – just slip the adaptor in & hey presto, can lend you an adaptor if you need one

DezB
    Free Member

Only gonna need it for a week or so – I’ll email you Dickyboy. Cheers!

DezB
    Free Member

Just in case anyone has the same requirement – Rosebikes have an adapter cheap – https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/wf-mtbe-axle-adapter/aid:827252/fromtopoffers:1

That’s all 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 15mm hub – convert to 9mm?’ is closed to new replies.