Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Sherwood Pines – Any good these days?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok, I know its all relative, but has it improved at all recently?

The last time I rode there was about 3 years ago, and there didnt appear to be consistant way marking and people were always asking which way was the correct way to go.

The in laws literally live a mile up the road and we are going down that way next weekend so was wondering if its worth putting the bike in, or will I just end up wandering aimlessley around the forest again?

Ta

flyingmonkeycorps

I went last year, and one thing I would say is that it’s well waymarked. I found it very dull, there’s very little elevation but it was well waymarked.

The “downhill” area is worth a play for half an hour.

Scapegoat

It’s dull if you want rad gnarrcore etc etc, but to give it its due it has a lot of fast flowing (but a bit pedally) singletrack. There are some boggy bits under the trees, but it’s fast hardtail heaven if you just want to go and ride balls out. If you want chutes and rock gardens with epic techy climbs, it’s probably not for you. The middle Jump and DH zones are fun to session, with some wall rides, shore drops and two rock features (Kirroughtree lovers look away now!)

It’s also a bit “family” at times, but that teaches us all patience and trail manners……

The waymarking is fine.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Its one of those places that if you go with the right frame of mind you’ll have an excellent day.
    It aint in wales or scotland, there’s no hills really, but if you like fast singletrack its good.
    Last time I went (feb i think) there had been some maintenance and a new section added.
    If you’re a ‘slog to the top and shred the gnarrrrr down’ type then you’ll probably say its cack but if you carry your speed and fly through the singletrack you’ll like it.
    Just don’t expect it to be the best thing ever and watch out for dad with his line of halfords ducklings following if you’re there on a weekend afternoon!

edit: what he said /\ ! 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok so when its a case of get out on the bike, or spend the whole day with the inlaws, then its definately I good idea!

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’re going to be a mile away and can get out for an hour, It’s spot on. If you can get out for a day, shout up for someone to show you around the peaks

flyingmonkeycorps

What Onza said – much better stuff if you can get a bit further. It’s definitely one where you get out what you put in, it’s fun if you pedal like a loon and carry speed everywhere, but it’s still big wide tracks with no real lumps whatsoever.

And it’s hard to carry speed when you’re constantly getting stuck behind Apollo riding parents and 6″ gnar taming radbikes.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Hard to get a decent ride in these days as you’re constantly stuck behind people. Red route has been uprgaded recently though so worth a punt.

It has turned into a bit of a cycling themed country park these days.

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Been twice in the last few months and enjoyed it. Certainly not mountain biking of epic proportions but worth a visit. Not many ‘hills’ as such but some gentle elevation change and flowing singletrack with some recently stoned slightly bermed corners to keep the speed up. Once you get away from the visitor centre onto the well marked Kitchener Trail red route for real you’ll leave most of the ‘family riders’ behind but still keep an eye out for the numpties that go for a walk the wrong way up a marked cycle trail! We did a ‘family’ blue route ride followed by two laps of the red route last time, as my mate lost his iphone on the first, and my legs were toast after the second lap at speed.

crofts2007
    Free Member

The Kitchener Trail red route is attracting some local ‘time trials’, the current record set by someone at around 36 minutes.
    Depends if you wind through the trees on one section or just straight line it.
    Details posted on the Sherwood Pines facebook page.
    Bank holiday rules state that the trail becomes two way for bikes, a dog walking route and sometimes it’s shared with horses!
    You can easily extend a ride from there to take in a Clumber Park circular as well.

alexpalacefan

36 min for the Kitchener? Christ that’s fast!

Oh, and +1 for what Scapegoat said, definitely worth a go. I’m in Nottingham and I bother to get up there for a blast pretty often.

APF

crofts2007
    Free Member

Think it is one of the young XC racing whippets who has done the time.

alexpalacefan

Makes you realise how fast the really fast folks are though.

APF

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did the red this morning in 46 minutes having to wait a couple of times for people to move over, and really slowing down at least 3 times for horses!

Actually thought it was a fun twisty singletrack route and enjoyed the fact you need to pedal to keep the speed up. Never thought I would be so over biked on 100mm FS though.

weeble
    Free Member

My outlaws live about 7 mile away and I often take my rigid singlespeed round for a couple of quick laps. Ridden fast it’s quite enjoyable.

kayak23

Zaskar93
    two laps of the red route last time, as my mate lost his iphone on the first

Did he find his phone?

Went up there about two weeks ago. Similar position in that I’d not been for about 3 years and thought the marking was a bit rubbish back then.

The waymarking has defo improved and its pretty good fun really. No hills but good fun to constantly pedal and carry speed.

Its good for families and nice to see so many out enjoying it.

cubelady
    Free Member

Who has done the red in 36 mins? I would love to know.. is it one of the Sherwood Pines riders? 🙂

h4muf
    Free Member

I go quite regularly.However i cycle there,go around part of the red,have some dinner then ride back.

65ish miles allround. Nearly all on bridleways.

rone

As a local to pines, I can say I’ve never seen a horse in the place let alone on the red! It wa Aron Marshal who set the time. Young lad from the team. The red is being constantly improved and there are few more swoops here and there. Don’t forget the surrounding area is great too and you can discover that by joining one of our club rides on a wed or Friday evening. See our site for ride details. http://Www.sherwoodpinescyclingclub.co.UK . You don’t have to be a member to try a ride.

crush83
    Free Member

I ride Sherwood pines most Sundays, just because it’s my local. mostly do it around 55 min with a very mixed grou depending on if we play on the bike park.

no it’s not wales or scotland, but it’s an ok ride for a predominantly flat area of the country. as long as you ride it for what it is, it is ok. good fun with a group and good for beginner’s. the “muddy wood” is a bit of a scramble fest but worth the effort and adds a challenge if you don’t wimp out and straight line it 🙂

Well marked out and made up of a lot of shortlish sections divided by fire road. I like to think of it as a red forest of dean without the last section lol

nwill1
    Free Member

How is Sherwood pines for a ride with a rear child seat & a wife on her first ride?

bwaarp
    Free Member

The downhill areas got a few fun little bits in it.

They just need to start adding a few more drops, rock gardens and jumps into the trails and they’ll become more interesting.

h4muf
    Free Member

Sherwoods perfect for families IMHO.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’ve ridden there twice recently, where the hell is this “downhill” area?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve ridden there twice recently, where the hell is this “downhill” area?

You’ll miss it completely if you just ride the red route. Used to go past it, but now you won’t see it.
    Not exactly a DH park as they’re aren’t any hills, but fun to play on for 10 minutes.Probably just over half way round, you crowd a fire road at the top of a climb, turn left instead of straight over, about 100m on your right there’s a sign. Next to the entrance for the dirt jumps.

crush83
    Free Member

The blue route is easy for anyone on a first ride.

Was there this morning and they are changing a few bits

Most people visiting sherwood pines don’t really use the local trails. Only follow the designated red & black routes

Fun to be had if you explore a little – Or take a local (like myself) as a tour guide. Shame the bikes screwed, got myself excited then

MoreCashThanDash

Sherwood Pines is a smaller version of Cannock – great use of the local topography, but not gnarly enough for the keyboard warriors.

Either accept it for what it is and what they have achieved with it, or accept that it’s not your kind of riding and stop whining about it…..

(Sorry, just boils my …. the way some threads on here knock it, not necessarily this one)

amodicumofgnar

Spent a lot of last summer / winter riding there as girlfriend was living nearby for a while. When she first shifted over to the flat lands I was quite dismissive – the usual its flat the riding wont be upto much. Was really surprised how much good riding there was in and around Sherwood Pines. The red route is fun enough at speed and does make the most of limited changes in height.

There’s a lot of woodland fringe singletrack so its worth getting a local to guide you around. I rate the riding outside the pines but it did take a couple of months to fully beat the bounds and get the most out of the area.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood Pines – Any good these days?’ is closed to new replies.