Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Shepherds Huts.
  • righog
    Free Member

I have been looking/thinking about building something in the garden to use as accommodation, and came across these. Like a middle class Caravan but, I do like them and they look easy enough to build.

Building One site

Thinking that the chassis would be a bit of a challenge, especially to get it to move usefully.

Anybody got or built one. Mine would need to be a biggie as it would need a bathroom.

kayak23

Sorry, can’t help on experience building one, just to say that I stayed in one once for a couple of nights. Rented it out. It was proper lush with the woodburner going and that.
    Would be a lovely project to tackle.

righog
    Free Member

Hi Kayak, Hope you dont take this the wrong way..But what was the toilet arrangement in the one you stayed in like ? 😀

They do look like a great space to spend a couple of nights, and indeed a nice challenging project without being huge.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

Liking the look that. Reading through the build they suggest an Ifor Williams trailer would make a good shepherds hut chassis. My IW trailer is on it’s last legs, rather than scrap it I think I might have a go at something like that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I smell a PMC mega thread coming……

righog
    Free Member

mcmoonter.. Glad you like it expect to see a fully built one within the week 😀

I have been looking at the options for the base and indeed a trailer would be great and would make moving it about a lot easier. I was also looking at caravan bases which seem to be widely available. Trawling through E bay there are also a surprising amount of cast wheels about, that would give an authentic look, but obviously be a slower building process.

There are some very nice bespoke ones available off the shelf but they are in the £20,000 !!! range.

righog
    Free Member

I smell a PMC mega thread coming……

Oh God I hope so 😀

CountZero

They are getting very popular now. Original ones are very basic underneath, just a couple of large lumps of timber with a floor on top, and a pivoting axle attached to another lump of timber. A friend of mine has two at her hotel/restaurant near Castle Combe, which she lets out, and has staff staying in. One is dated somewhere around 1875 underneath.
    [/url] Fosse Farmhouse by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

mcmoonter
    Free Member

# is just back in after checking trailer bed width for a bed. 😀

righog
    Free Member

Were’s the like button when you need it ! 🙂

kayak23

Hi Kayak, Hope you dont take this the wrong way..But what was the toilet arrangement in the one you stayed in like ?

It was rented out by some farmer types in their field in the Gower, so they had a little outside toilet and shower building for customers. I guess you could look at basically caravan type toilets.

righog
    Free Member

a couple of possible bases via E bay

It would be quite a transformation for these ( but not very authentic).

IanMunro
    Free Member

And ones with tops too!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m finding the cast iron wheel thing a bit cheesy, the trailer chassis is for me.

tymbian
    Free Member

Build it on ‘ skids ‘. afaik building regs says it has to be moveable…

kayak23

Build your own wheels. A bloke I work with its building a traditional gypsy caravan and making the wheel hoops and everything.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k0gPGoz9Xhc[/video]

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Can a shepherd have a conservatory?

CountZero

I’m finding the cast iron wheel thing a bit cheesy, the trailer chassis is for me.

It was about all they had in the 19th Century… 😀

Moses

Brother in law has a couple on the farm. One is filled with empty 50-year old wooden beer crates. The huts are basic, just sheds on wheels, only just light enough to be moved to the lambing fields. A new build would make more sense.

piemonster

Is the Palace your winter residence Laird McMoonter?

MrNutt
    Free Member

they go for silly money, I know where one is in a treeline in Wiltshire

righog
    Free Member

Ian Might be an option just to heavily modify an old caravan like this guy.

Me and my Dad dismantled a large static Caravan, the mess was truly terrible ( I wish I could find the pic of my Dad when we were doing this 🙁 )

Love to build the wheels but the process probably too slow for my impatience ( Nice vid BTW ).

One good thing about the traditional wheel set up is that the the top would be movable to catch the light.

What about a build that enabled the trailer to be removed when needed ?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is the Palace your winter residence Laird McMoonter?

Sadly not, but it’s occupant is a hippie shed lover. My brother lives next door.

dti

use a good strong hay trailer chassis (you will need a tractor to tow)

caravan ones are too weak and need careful engineering.

this is the one I built.

http://www.beudybanc.co.uk/caban-coch-rolling-cabin.html

piemonster

Sadly not, but it’s occupant is a hippie shed lover. My brother lives next door.

I’m familiar with the work of Ninian. The nutter.

piemonster

Ahh, the sheds. I keep finding them hidden in the woods. Seems to like an outdoor toilet hut as well.

righog
    Free Member

dti..Nice and a brilliant spot to put it as well. I like the flat roof as well gives a more modern feel to it.

I was expecting to do a lot of strengthening work on base.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m familiar with the work of Ninian. The nutter.

I’ve only ‘met’ him via Facebook, but he sounds like a dude I’d get along with. I’ve never seen his huts over by the Pillars. Are you on that side of Fife Piemonster?

dti

the deck on a hay/bale trailer is strong enough to build off,
    flatish roof keeps the height down as they can get quite high when
    built off these trailers – helps to be dug in when sited.

lightweight version here using corrugated-
    used as amenity block for the campsite.

http://www.beudybanc.co.uk/camping-pitches.html

3d of the cabin layout is on the weebly site – scroll down

http://beudybanc.weebly.com/caban-coch-rolling-cabin.html

righog
    Free Member

^^^^^Looks like a bloody good idea to me^^^.

Hut man

Thousand huts org

righog
    Free Member

A bit far for me but this would be great, and a decent price as well.

Ebay Hay Trailer

Kahurangi

I stayed in on in the Cotswolds last March.

Composting loo, outside (but hot) showers, outside cooking. Beautiful outside in a bluebell wood and cosy inside.

Would be pretty miserable cooking & showering outside if the weather was poor though!

righog
    Free Member

dti..Hope you don’t mind me using a picture of your place, but it looks ace. Probably closer to what I was after when I started looking at the huts.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@mcmoonter, is it finished yet?

Houns

*tick*

piemonster

Are you on that side of Fife Piemonster?

Further, over the Tay. But I spend a surprising amount of time there, Im in the Lomonds a lot over the winter months. Not to mention Pitmedden, Normans Law, Tentsmuirs and a few outings runs the coast as far as Largo.

mark90
    Free Member

Just seen a nice one of these on the One Show. Kitchen, bathroon, ‘upstairs’ bedroom. Looked like it was built on a twin axle trailer chassis.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Shepherds Huts.’ is closed to new replies.