• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Sheffield, show us your dog s**t woods
  • soulwood
    Free Member

There are loads of ancient small woods throughout Sheffield, here are some pics of a cracking little trail (Gromit) in my nearby woods, called Carr Woods, Norton Lees S8. The only thing the council don’t want is fly tipping or motorbikes. Unfortunately as they are surrounded by houses there is always the added obstacle of piles of fresh dog paste, hence the nickname of dog s**t Woods.

An off camber rooty clay drop, only doable in a dry Summer or a frozen day, like today.

Then negotiate the stream, fun when it has been chucking it down for several days!

Brilliant natural root steps in the background.

Third stream crossing, keep up the speed to clear the roots or stall and tumble into the stream.

Can anyone else in Sheffield recommend their local Dog S**t Woods, I see so many when I am out and about in the car and have wondered about trying to put a Sheffield local woods run together.

Pook

I’m up for this. live in Crookes and will happily show you around.
    I’d like to ride this one too!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You’ll show me yours if I show you mine, eh?
    Could be on for some of this. S7 here…

Pook

right…how about a meet, next three Tuesdays? first in s8, second s7, third s10. 6.30pm, 90mins hooning about exploring each others bits? ;o)

Milkie
    Free Member

exploring each others bits?

😯 😆

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Not Sheffield but got plenty of woods my way on- Kirkby in Ashfield,Hucknall,Mansfield area and much better but smaller than Sherwood pines , in fact you could probably string them together with a few trails and get to the pines from where I live,will have a go in summer, and yes all dog s..t woods too

cp

mmm, that sounds good – very much up for it. I’m S6… Regularly head out up Rivelin, though not done much off piste exploring.

Tuesdays ideal for me.

sobriety
    Free Member

Matzzzzzz, any chance of a show-around? I’m in Carlton and it feels like an mtb desert after living in Sheffield previously…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s the obvious one from hunters bar through the parks to potters clough.

The not so obvious, Ranmoor singletrack (aka footpath).

Ponderosa has a few short/steep runs through the woods from the crooks side. And theres the landscaping in Crookes park opposite which just invites big air, bowling green followed by a lake jump (maybe not in febuary, but we did once jump in at christmas while drunk).

Riofer
    Free Member

I’m S6 too and happy to share some good bits in Rivelin. Tuesdays should be okay but 6.30 is a bit early for me can we make it 7?

Pook

so where and when to meet next Tuesday then?

soulwood
    Free Member

Pook, good idea, 90 mins in each others local woods, come the summer we can then string them together for a Tour De Dog S**t Woods. The first Tuesday I am working though, second is doable.

GEDA
    Free Member

Plenty of´stuff on the sheffield round walk. Quite a few tracks in Graves Park.

Pook

ok. a week on Tuesday, soulwood shows us round his trails.

how’s that sound?

Riofer
    Free Member

Ohh that’ll be Valentines day then. Perfect night for “exploring each others bits”.

I might be busy that evening 😈 but I’ll be there if I don’t get a better offer.

soulwood
    Free Member

Dammit, so it is. Thats that evening scuppered. What about the Wednesday?

thepodge
    Free Member

What about monday 6th? I’m banned from the house so need to be out doing something… assuming I have my bike back by then

soulwood
    Free Member

I’m free on Monday

cp

Monday 6th good for me.

Pook

I’ll try for the 6th. Shouldn’t be a problem – let you know later!!!

Where Soulwood?

For the record: My local dog s*** woods; introduced to me by Magic Podge the Phileas Fogg Shackleton of Sheffield trail discovery

[video]http://vimeo.com/28076857[/video]

Pook

Late notice I know – but if anyone is availble for tomorrow night, lemme know!!!!! I fancy a snowy muddy blast.

cp

I’m up for tmw night. Can do anytime after 6….

Pook

Likewise. Podge? Soulwood?

thepodge
    Free Member

Tom still has my bike so I’ll not be riding

nickhart
    Free Member

Used to do woods one to five back in the day, brincliffe edge down to Abbeydale road then across to archer lane and round the back of the sainsburys petrol station (through the estate at the back) across hutcliffe wood road to the woods at the other side of the train tracks near millhouses park, left up abbey lane to the round about turn right towards meadowhead, on the right is a trail taking you to the golf club, across the top of that to twentywell through the top of the woods towards totley and then up past the spitfire and up to blacka. Then across blacka through the woods and back to ecclesall near dore station.
    Or something like that

john

I should be able to make it tomorrow, any time after 6 is fine by me.

Pook

guys, really sorry but I won’t be able to make it later. A nightmare journey into work means I’ll have to work late.

Also, my bike is buggered from hit the north.

will sort something soon though cos I like this plan….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield, show us your dog s**t woods’ is closed to new replies.