Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Shadow + mechs, worth the extra £20?
  • granny_ring

Will be getting an SLX or XT rear mech soon and will be more likely to run 3 rings up front or maybe a double at some point.

Are these mechs of more use when running single up front or worth it for double or triple?

covbuggy
    Free Member

With the clutch thing on the gear change is a bit more clunky, but does stop the chain slap which is a big plus and worth the extra £20 IMO. Also if you do decide going 1×10 than your are ready to go.

Northwind

I don’t find any drawbacks other than the price… It’s most useful on single ring but still well worthwhile on many-ring.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Extremely worthwhile, if you decide you are one of the picky few who doesn’t like the slightly increased shift effort and wants to go back to clangy chain slap, you can just turn the clutch off. Simples.

chip
    Free Member

I was going to order the shadow+ mech.
    They come in either long or med cage, not sure which one to get or why.
    Please help.

shifter
    Free Member

Long cage for triples, medium for doubles.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one, not tried it yet. It seems like one of the most hyped components to come from Shimano in the last few years, so will have to see if it lives up to it…

bigrich

any clutch below xt level is a crappy elastic band system, and not worth it.

STATO
    Free Member

Does that apply to Zee too then? since its basically short cage SLX. People seem plenty happy with it?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, whats different about the XT version then?

bigrich

its a spring. the elastic gets bandy over time.

granny_ring

So not worth bothering with the SLX version?

perthmtb
    Free Member

any clutch below xt level is a crappy elastic band system, and not worth it.

its a spring. the elastic gets bandy over time.

I’m sorry, but that’s just not true.

Shimano XT clutch mechanism…

Shimano SLX clutch mechanism…

Identical – and not an bit of elastic or a spring in sight! 😆

And as you would expect, it can’t be worth Shimano developing a whole different clutch mechanism for SLX, XT and XTR.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yes. Excellent. To be honest I’ve not noticed an issue with shifting either

perthmtb
    Free Member

And… if you’re wondering how it works, there’s a great BikeRadar tutorial here

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I am selling a SLX clutch mech for £30 if anyone wants a cheaper one. Alu jockey wheels. Good nick – medium cage

highclimber
    Free Member

Yes Rob, dibs, I’ll take it!

vincienup
    Free Member

The Zee is perfect for 1x set ups. The longer cage Zee might do double at 11-32 but would probs struggle for capacity on an 11-36.
    With a 36 front and 11-36 cassette the longer Zee is perfect. Based on feel, build and part numbers the Zee mech and shifter are repackaged SLX as 1×10 with shorter cages (choice of short and super short…) I believe the crank to be a lesser item but have no experience of it. People tend to equate Zee with Hone and its s bit messier than that.
    I wouldn’t buy a new Shimano RD without clutch now and once my existing Shadows need replacing they will become Shadow +’s.
    Considering replacing the mech on my bouncy anyway as it could really do with the clutch help.
    I understand its the same story with SRAM Type 2’s but I have no personal need to investigate these.

vincienup
    Free Member

And if highclimber doesn’t take rob’s SLX shadow plus I’d be happy to! 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mine sgs – i.e. long cage

Superficial
    Free Member

No brainer – well worth £20.

I can’t notice shifting being stiffer/worse.

granny_ring

Ok thanks for the update, will go for an SLX sgs then.
    Where’s the best price at the mo?

Cheers.

Northwind

vincienup – Member

Based on feel, build and part numbers the Zee mech and shifter are repackaged SLX as 1×10 with shorter cages (choice of short and super short…) I believe the crank to be a lesser item but have no experience of it. People tend to equate Zee with Hone and its s bit messier than that.

It’s not quite as simple… The Zee mech is obviously SLX-ish but when you look at the “knuckle” it seems to be the Saint one- it has a redundant hole where the Saint reinforcement arm would fit. So it seems to be a bit of a mashup.

Zee cranks look pretty damn impressive, considering they’re supposed to be full on dh cranks- they’re barely heavier than Saint. Course, no real way to know how they size up strengthwise, they could probably just sell SLX with a Zee sticker on it and say it’s a downhill crank.

duir
    Free Member

Long cage for triples, medium for doubles.

Shimano cages are usually quite long anyway. I have used the medium cage for years with a granny/middle and bash with no problems at all. Are the latest generation of cages shorter for this year?

BMC09
    Free Member

Definitely worth it, run it on a 2×10 with no chain device and never dropped the chain to date. Well worth the £20 to keep a rocky ride moving

rootes1

just gone from 1×9 sram x-9 to 1×10 Zee…

actually the hype re clutch mechs is true, really keeps the chain tight

perthmtb
    Free Member

Zee cranks look pretty damn impressive, considering they’re supposed to be full on dh cranks- they’re barely heavier than Saint. Course, no real way to know how they size up strengthwise, they could probably just sell SLX with a Zee sticker on it and say it’s a downhill crank.

Actually, I think you’ll find the Zee cranks are just Deore ones with a Zee sticker on it… 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And as you would expect, it can’t be worth Shimano developing a whole different clutch mechanism for SLX, XT and XTR.

Very true but they do seem to have a habit of removing features or using much cheaper/inferior materials on the cheaper stuff. FWIW the SRAM X9 feels nice.

vincienup
    Free Member

@duir- the Shimano cages in general are as ever afaik.

Zee is 1x specific and had no need of long cages so its short and super short. Super short wont take an 11-36 cassette and single front according to Shimano. Didn’t try it as I was buying new and didn’t want to buy stuff I couldn’t use.

@ Northwind: interesting to know the Zee mech is even more if a mash up than I thought. Wonder if it can take strengthening mods then? Not sure if needs them mind. Superb bit of kit and worth every penny.

I’ve not played with the cranks but had heard they were the low point of the group – however mostly from people who said the rest of the group was repackaged Deore also so I’m reserving judgement on it. I prefer Race Face cranks … Less fatty to mount than that HT2 mess.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Zee is super short only.

Zee crank arms are the same casting as a Deore level crank (545 I think) but with a stronger axle.

If you can find a cage from a Saint or Zee it will fit straight onto an XTR mech to make an SS XTR. Not tried anything below M985 yet.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Very true but they do seem to have a habit of removing features or using much cheaper/inferior materials on the cheaper stuff.

Actually, I’m thinking the other way. There seems very little to differentiate between Deore/SLX/XT/XTR these days, just a colour difference here, and a bit of steel versus aluminium versus carbon there. All have (or are getting) the latest technolohgy like servo-wave brakes, shadow plus mechs, hollow axles. And if you go down to the level of parts diagrams you start to find a lot of common bits – the SLX and XT brakes are near identical for example.

Makes sense for Shimano, as design, manufacturing, and stocking must be easier, especially these days when it seems the industry (and us consumers) demand a brand new model every year! However, leaves very few real points of differentiation between the different model lines, as the endless debates on here about whether XT is better than SLX, Saint than Zee, just go to show!

vincienup
    Free Member

Mister P – Member
    Zee is super short only.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=82431

Not true. Two sizes, both very short. 23-28 and 32-36. Pls check CRC linky if disbelieve. I dare say Shimano’s tech area lists this also.

Don’t know about the cranks, as I say, the ppl who say they’re junk tend to be wrong about other aspects of the group so I have no opinion.

Anyway, thread is about clutches. Yes. They are good, and worth 20 quid.

LeeW

I fitted mine a couple of nights ago, no difference in feel to shifting which was great as I have a girly RH thumb. The friction mechanism does wear over time and will become loose, but the system is adjustable. Shimano have even fitted the tool inside the housing for you to adjust it.

One thing which should be an added bonus is reduced or no chainsuck! I think this type of mech really is the best MTB invention for ages.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

vincienup – misterp works for shimano (or distributor) so may well know better than you!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not true. Two sizes, both very short. 23-28 and 32-36. Pls check CRC linky if disbelieve. I dare say Shimano’s tech area lists this also

Let’s have a look at the Tech Doc shall we? Both models have the same cage length, the only difference is the Bracket Axle Unit.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

1-0 mister p

Mister-P
    Free Member

My post did come across as a bit know it all didn’t it? That wasn’t how it was meant.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

you do tho -its your job

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Hmmm…

So I currently run 2×9 on my Prophet with a single roller chain device. Could I ditch the chain device in favour of a clutch mech (and obviously go 10 speed too)?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Shadow + mechs, worth the extra £20?’ is closed to new replies.