Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SewingmachineTW. Recommend a cheap HD machine
  • welshfarmer

Need to sew some tent canvas to make and awning extension and also to make some cushion covers for my camper conversion bed/sofa. Need to get a machine capable of doing this and being operated by an idiot. So simple, heavyish duty, and cheap! It will not get much future use I am guessing.. Anyone able to recommend a second hand machine that would suit my needs. Happy to pay up to £100 for something that will work now and that can be dragged out every few years to do similar jobs and still work.

Mowgli
    Free Member

An old Singer 201 will do the job – robust, simple, last forever and will keep it’s value so you can flog it again when you’re done. Good for heavy fabrics which modern machines might struggle with.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have a old Singer I bought for much the same reason a few years ago its been really useful. I cant remember the number but it easily sews canvas/denim etc and most of the old ones will. Mines basic and just has straight stich and reverse.

Theres a bit of a nack to getting it right but it’ll just take a day or so to learn and then you’ll be looking for stuff to sew, comes in handy for cycling gear too.

You’ll pick one up on gumtree some are serviced and ready to go. Theres almost a Singer scene! Then visit your local sewing shop and ask for heavy duty needles and thread.

thenorthwind

+1 for old, basic, robust machine.

A sewing machine only really needs to be very simple for the sort of stuff you want to do with it. Automated functions and fancy crap will just confuse matters and maybe break.

I bought an old (probably 70s) Brother a few years ago for £30. It weighs as much as a small planet, but I’ve sewn several layers of 16oz canvas with it.

welshfarmer

Excellent advice guys. Just the kind of info I was looking for.

Bunnyhop

As said above.
    Second hand.
    Also with the thicker needles.

Practise on similar fabrics before attacking the real stuff.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SewingmachineTW. Recommend a cheap HD machine’ is closed to new replies.