Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Serious this time. RIP Dave Mirra
  • tomhoward
    dirtyrider
    Free Member

Shit

Followed him on Instagram seemed to live for his kids 😥

Pigface
    Free Member

So so sad, amazing athlete, RIP

tails
    Free Member

Wow! He was one if not the best BMX rider when I was growing up, even had his own PlayStation game. No one deserves to go out like that

panzerjager
    Free Member

Can’t believe this, I am absolutely gutted.

RIP Miracle Man…

ads678

Bloody hell. That’s shit. Such a sad way to go.

RIP Dave Mirra, you will always be one of the best.

mintimperial

RIP. Poor guy, so sad.

Euro
    Free Member

Normally avoid the ‘look who’s dead’ threads, but this was is a a shock and a shame. Great bike rider and a real family man. 🙁

kimbers

Gutted for his family,

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

So dark, poor guy and family.

cokie

So sad! Thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Proves that mental health can affect everyone, no matter how glitzy your life looks 🙁

Wookster

Really sad news.

freeagent
    Free Member

So very sad. I follow him on Facebook and it always looked like life was pretty sweet – 2 little kids, well into his TTing and triathlons.

bombjack
    Free Member

So sad, one of the standout stars of the x-games movement along with Hawk and Palmer. Will have to listen to some sublime this evening in a tribute to Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX on the ps1. Without sounding morbid I wonder if concussion may have some part to play, he pushed the boundaries of park bmx and must have suffered a ton of head shots over the years.
    RIP miracle boy.

rhid

So sad. He was incredible and seemed like a good man too.

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

A true hero and legend of the sport of bmx if not for him and Hoffman the there wouldnt be riders able to make a living doing what they love today i belive.

RIP

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sad news indeed – the guy was a legend, having helped progress the sport in a serious way. I doubt anyone else will dominate the X Games in the way he did.

Without sounding morbid I wonder if concussion may have some part to play, he pushed the boundaries of park bmx and must have suffered a ton of head shots over the years.
    RIP miracle boy.

A lot of people are making a similar connection given what is happening with the NFL at the moment.

jb89
    Free Member

Very sad.

Follow him on Instagram and he posted only last night. RIP.

Stevet1
    Free Member

GTFO. I’m not having it. I can’t believe it.

I’ve been thinking for a while, that somehow we ought to be able to do more for those who are teetering on the edge but for whom even admitting it is too hard to contemplate. Too much face to lose until Bam! it’s gone too far for too long. I’ll hold my hand up, I’ve been there but always come back. I know that one of the BMX mags started putting full page Samaritans ads in it to try and do something. Don’t know what I can do as an individual but when people like Dave Mirra feel this is the only solution to their problems then something’s gone very wrong.

Nothing else to say but I hope you find peace Miracle boy.

mintimperial

Don’t know what I can do as an individual but when people like Dave Mirra feel this is the only solution to their problems then something’s gone very wrong.

I think we just have to talk about it, keep on talking about it, that’s what we can do as individuals. And I have to say STW’s pretty good on this count really, you can see it in the regular threads on the subject which are invariably constructive and supportive.

When we make talking about depression and the like more normal, we take away the feeling that there’s anything wrong with suffering from mental illness, that there’s anything weak or shameful about it. Just being out there talking about it can help people like Mirra (although we don’t know the whole story here, obviously). People who have been carrying it around all their lives and hiding it from everyone can find the strength to start to help themselves more easily if they know they’re not alone, that other people have gone through similar shit and come out the other side. Strength in numbers.

amedias
    Free Member

1000 x 🙁

Too many thoughts I’m unable to articulate at the mo so ^

davieg
    Free Member

Well put M.I. I am 1 year older than Dave Mirra and have two young girls, and just cannot comprehend the dark place where we can only assume he was, that this seemed rational.

I grew up on a BMX, watching Andy Ruffell, Eddie Fiola and Ron Wilkerson and was astounded years later seeing the progression of the sport by Dave Mirra at the X-Games. RIP Dave Mirra

elliott-20
    Free Member

Such sad, tragic news. Of course I never knew Dave but his image was in the magazines I read, the games I played the sports I watched, it felt like I did.

🙁

A lot of people are making a similar connection given what is happening with the NFL at the moment.

Ans a lot of people aren’t medically trained either. I don’t understand why people try and find the reason at times like this. Life can be really shitty and some just don’t make it through the dark times.

teadrinker
    Free Member

That’s my mind blown. Very sad news indeed.

RIP Dave, thoughts to his family 🙁

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4[/video]

honeybadgerx

One of the stand out guys when I was a teenager watching the x-games. Such a shame.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I think we just have to talk about it, keep on talking about it, that’s what we can do as individuals

I don’t know that it’s enough. Sure if people ask then the forum is very positive and supportive. But there was the thread updated a week or so back, reading between the lines it was obvious that one of the forum contributors had taken their own life (really sorry if I’ve read this wrong, just trying to illustrate my point). Up until then they had been posting stuff same as any of us, no mention of a cry for help. What can be done to make people feel that anytime they are feeling like this could be an option there is help available from other regular folk that understand somewhat what they are going through?
    Anyway.

gonzy
    Free Member

oh man….first McGarry and now Mirra?!
    sad times indeed for the world of cycling and for those closest to them

craig24
    Free Member

Sad times. Thoughts go out to his family.

racefaceec90

just read the link now. that is terrible news.

r.i.p mr mirra 🙁

p.s apologies mods 😳

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Heartbreakingly sad.

Big love to his wife and daughters.

RIP

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

RIP Dave.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvfhgH3RbzM[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Man that sucks, just heard now.

RIP Miracle Boy.

DezB
    Free Member

Just seen this. Absolutely stunned.
    I was almost as stunned when I saw the double flip in the X Games.
    [video]https://youtu.be/2uDGu9-Y0VA[/video]

True legend of the sport.
    RIP

teadrinker
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    RIP Dave.

Had that on repeat a lot when I was younger. Loved Dave Mirra on the PlayStation. Loved Dave Mirra, genuinely saddened by this news.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Watched this over and over, great section and music resonates.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=au4kFh3l-vY[/video]

sandboy

Too difficult to take this in! Why?? All my love goes out to his wife and children. RIP Dave.

jamj1974

Great rider who really did change the sport.

butcher

Watched this over and over, great section and music resonates.

Some poignant lyrics 🙁

konabunny
    Free Member

Very sad – I saw his episode of Cribs and it looked so much fun.

Without sounding morbid I wonder if concussion may have some part to play, he pushed the boundaries of park bmx and must have suffered a ton of head shots over the years.

I don’t think it’s morbid. In addition to the growing recognition between head injury and mental illness/suicide in American football, there’s also growing research into the connection between head injury and mental illness/poor decisionmaking/incarceration.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Serious this time. RIP Dave Mirra’ is closed to new replies.