Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • See those Bird hardtails…
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

…..they’re getting better value already. Specs seem to have changed from when I last looked.

http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero.html

darrenspink
    Free Member

New full sus out soon…info today:

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, saw that on their Facebook page. Like the colour.

VanHalen

wowzers. these look excellent. its my birthday soon….

prawny

(At least) One of the guys from Bird is a regular on the bikeradar forum, it’t been nice seeing them come to fruition. I quite fancy one too, they look loverly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think Ben Pinnick is on this forum as well…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IDK, they started off with the laudible idea of building bikes that would be 2 sizes longer than they should be, which would be great, I’d like a bike with a 17″ seat tube and a 24″-25″ top tube, but their large is a 19″ seat tube with a 24″ top tube and a relatively slack seat angle, making it actualy shorter than my el-mariachi which has a 110mm stem and I still umm and ahh over a frame 1/2″ longer, and there’s no way I could get a reverb in a 19″ frame.

Maybe my legs are just short (32″ jeans, 33″ trousers at 6ft)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hoping mine will be here by the weekend 🙂

AlexSimon

OP – yes even since last week.
    I’m sure the basic one was £1100 before!

Northwind

They are bloomin impressive, these Bird chaps- I remember reading their posts on Bikeradar and thinking “Never going to happen” 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

OP – yes even since last week.
    I’m sure the basic one was £1100 before!

£1175 IIRC

AlexSimon

The most appealing thing about them is that they’ve really thought through the specs.
    Simple things like stem length can save someone messing about afterwards.
    The XT Cassette keeps the cost of going 1x later low.
    Tyres are exactly what I run, but they offer it on a £995 bike.
    Tubeless setup
    etc
    etc

Very impressive.

coomber
    Free Member

Quite tempted but would like to try one for size and cant get up to their HQ. Not sure they are touring down in Devon for me to have a spin, so looks like I will be going for a Whyte 901 instead.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Not sure about Devon but Bird will be at Eastridge mini enduro.

coomber
    Free Member

scottfitz –

Not sure about Devon but Bird will be at Eastridge mini enduro.

That’s good to know, but another 200 mile trip, 400 return!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Zero.AMX is a new model added to the range and a couple more fork options.

AlexSimon

They’re teasing with the FS:

Looks like a CCDB

benpinnick

@coomber where are you based and how tall are you?

ska-49
    Free Member

GregMay
    Free Member

That is a very pretty blue.

AlexSimon

It is a good blue – as I put on FB, looks like a single pivot with link-actuated shock.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It is a good blue – as I put on FB, looks like a single pivot with link-actuated shock.

Or a Horst link, but with the shock linkage upside down like nikolai?

AlexSimon

Could be I guess – obviously that far dropout is pretty blurry. Difficult to see a seatstay pivot either though, so maybe you’re right.

I reckon they’ll have gone the single-pivot route though – like a Transition Bandit.

moff

Looks like a long stroke shock, in relation to the potential travel. To improve small bump sensitivity?

batfink
    Free Member

New photo on their facebook….. not giving much more away, but sounds like it’s going to be announced via Dirt today

Northwind

Not sure about the name… Just as you get really attached to the bike, Sephiroth appears and stabs it.

robowns
    Free Member

Not sure about the name… Just as you get really attached to the bike, Sephiroth appears and stabs it.

Not sure how many will get that on here, but I lol’d

eltonerino
    Free Member

I got it too 🙂

nickc

FF geeks…

Everywhere

dizcostix
    Free Member

Twas the best and most memorable FF!

darrenspink
    Free Member

Big fat hairy aeris

AlexSimon

Spoiler! 🙂
    I’m planning on playing it for the second time with my sons this winter.
    I wonder if they’ll be as gutted as I was at this bit!

Edit: Fwiw my cats have been/are are called Lucca, Terra, Locke and Sabin

Northwind

That’d be the best spoiler ever, someone randomly picks it up in a steam sale having never heard of it, and just as they’re getting to that bit they read this thread and FUUUUUUUUUUU

STATO
    Free Member

DK, they started off with the laudible idea of building bikes that would be 2 sizes longer than they should be, which would be great, I’d like a bike with a 17″ seat tube and a 24″-25″ top tube, but their large is a 19″ seat tube with a 24″ top tube and a relatively slack seat angle, making it actualy shorter than my el-mariachi which has a 110mm stem and I still umm and ahh over a frame 1/2″ longer, and there’s no way I could get a reverb in a 19″ frame.

Maybe my legs are just short (32″ jeans, 33″ trousers at 6ft)

At 6ft4 a 21″ seat tube is the max I can run with a 125mm reverb and i dont think thats particularly odd.

They do seem short. The L is shorter than my Salsa Spearfish or ElMar, and they are XC bikes. The XL is a little better but only because of the short headtube accentuating the ‘reach’ figure.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think frames still get taller quicker than they get longer, on the basis that my seatube+post length is about 26″ (about 18″ + a reverb)and wear 32″ trousers, anyone with a 21″ frame (STATO) and a reverb must be 35″+?

Working back from that, assuming a 4″ minimum insert on a 16.5″ seatpost, that means the person that bikes intended for with the 35″ insde leg could just as easily ride a 16.5″ frame.

So whay are frame sizes not;

17 (but as long as an 18)
    17.5 (but as long as a 20)
    18 (but as long as a 22)
    ?

Surely if you can package the suspension into a 16″ frame, then the forces/loads are all sorted as the back, it could even save cash by only needing one seatube size. Might just need to brace the headtube a bit better as the TT/DT angle is narrower.

bungalistic
    Free Member

And here we are, I like

Bird Aeris

AlexSimon

Very tidy looking bike.
    I worry slightly about FSR though – all the ones I’ve tried have been ground-huggers and difficult to set up to be poppy.

spawnofyorkshire

Nice looking bike, has the touch of the Turner about it

I’m a while from a new bike with them odd sized wheels but Bird are looking very nice, any reviews up yet for either bike?

AlexSimon

What mountain bike /bikeradar have a review of the Zero.
    To cut a long story short, amazing value, good geometry, harsh rear end.

AlexSimon

oh – and it was a test-winner in MBR

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘See those Bird hardtails…’ is closed to new replies.