Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Securing a chinese ebay light to helmet?
  • jekkyl

Ebay high lumen lights that cost less than 20 quid, how do you get them on your helmet?
    There must be a better way than attaching that clunky plastic square thing with cable ties? has anyone come up with ingenious method? I don’t mind spending more money!
    Failing that what decent helmet light can someone recommend less than 50 quid?
    thanks

markshires
    Free Member

I’m using one of the torch style ones, w 501b or something, was about £8 plus a battery. I use a exposure joystick mount to fit it to my helmet about a tenner.

twisty

Yeah I stuck a go-pro mount on my helmet with one of those 3M sticky pads. Took the elastic mount thing off the light and replaced it with a piece of go-pro extension bracket, just used a slightly different length M5 screw and some washers to do it. It all works rather nicely for camera by day and light by night.

BTW the sticky pads are super strong, when going round the jungle some vines snagged on the mount, it nearly ripped my head off and the mount did not budge!

stevied
    Free Member

Ho about something like the Hope mount and then make a simple L shaped piece that screws to the bottom of the light then through the slot on the mount?

tjagain

I would mount it with o rings / velcro – you want it to be able to break away if hit / snagged / landed on when you crash

thenorthwind

that clunky plastic square thing with cable ties

Simple. Quick. Absolutely solid.

May look clunky but when it’s dark and you’re haring down a descent you won’t care.

jekkyl

It’s essential that it has vertical movement so it’s unlikely just O rings and velcro would work. It needs some sort of attachment device.
    That hope mount looks good stevied, but it falls down here:

then make a simple L shaped piece that screws to the bottom of the light then through the slot on the mount

make? 3D printer? lol what do you suggest?

stevied
    Free Member

make? 3D printer? lol what do you suggest?

Aren’t all STW’ers able to just knock something up? 😆

I could probably do a simple piece for you..

benp1

Slightly OT, I had my Exposure Diablo mounted on my helmet and hit a low branch a couple of weeks back

It snapped my neck back, pulled the Diablo from the mount and ripped the lanyard, which is looped through the helmet in case I knock it out on a branch like this, straight THROUGH the helmet, yes, through the polystyrene and shell

Shows how hard I hit the branch, took a while to find it too as the light wasn’t on, no way I was leaving without my Diablo!

stumpy01

jekkyl – Member

It’s essential that it has vertical movement so it’s unlikely just O rings and velcro would work. It needs some sort of attachment device.

Vertical movement for what? Adjusting the angle relative to the helmet?
    I have previously used long cable ties with small sections of folded/rolled up inner tube from old, dead tubes to act as props under the light to get the angle right. They also have the added bonus of adding a high friction surface to grip the helmet & the torch & some flexibility for the cable ties to compress & hold everything together.

Yak

Make an angled wedge out of anything – foam/rubber/similar so it’s at the right angle then rubber O-rings to secure in place.

craig24
    Free Member

Someone on here was printing mounts that replaced the current mount on a SolarStorm and would then fit a standard GoPro mount. Can’t remember who it was now but there great.

craig24
    Free Member
    BigJohn

Look on DX for rifle mounts. I got a shaped foam mount with a Velcro strap to fix it to a rib of the helmet and another strap to hold the light. Neat and works well.

jimmy

If its torch style… I fashioned a helmet mount out of a ~6 inch length of inner tube. Cut out a section in the middle so you’ve effectively got two loops at the end, joined by a flat section (think like a double-ended apple corer). Put one end over the torch, wrap the middle section under helmet vents, up out of a vent and pull the other end back over the front of the torch. Worked a treat – totally solid, if not very adjustable but didn’t need to be. I posted it on here a few years back with pics to make more sense, but can’t find it.

EDIT: here it is albeit I’ve deleted the photos from flickr 🙁

markshires
    Free Member

Gearbest have a mount similar to above

http://www.gearbest.com/led-accessories/pp_240917.html

perchypanther
    Free Member
    tjagain

Please make sure it will breakaway easily in the event of a crash

aracer
    Free Member

Foam ( a bit of pipe lagging – I have plenty of that around as I use it for other stuff) and zip ties works really well IMHO – not sure why you’d want something more complicated.

AlexSimon

I use a Gopro mount with a little adapter that cost £1 off gearbest.

stevied
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

I don’t get that – all my mounts have the 3 prongs on the mount, so the light/gopro has to have the 2 prongs like my pic above no?

Aristotle
    Free Member

I stuck (very sticky)adhesive velcro to the top of my older MTB helmet and to the top of the Solar Storm X2 light. The battery goes into my camelbak.

It works really well for night rides. I don’t use a bar mount light.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Securing a chinese ebay light to helmet?’ is closed to new replies.