Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Sealant – any better alternatives to Stan's?
  • stanleigh
    Free Member

I think tyre choice has a lot to do with sealant disappearing . I found myself forever topping up Conti X-Kings almost weekly , as they seemed to just leech sealant through the sidewalls ( tubeless ready – protection model ).

Now using Geax and the Stan’s is lasting months & not discovered any ‘ Stanimals’ forming.

postierich
    Free Member

just checked my front tyre as I heard a rumbling!! grrr what can I add to whats left of the sealant to make it useful
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/xvS8Xx]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

bigbloke
    Free Member

All my wheelset look like that after a very short period. Stans user too, bit annoying and becoming costly.Why does the little monster form so quickly?. Must make sealant pretty useless.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I normally just chuck in a small bottle’s worth of Stan’s once the tyre is on the rim (through the valve) and then top them up every 6 months or so. Never had a problem with it.

As I run non-tubeless tyres on non-tubeless rims ghetto style the tyre tends to seal quite well to the rim before I even add the Stan’snever had any clumps that big form. Plenty of smaller ones and around the bead.

Tom KP

brassneck

The bontrager stuff was the single worst bike purchase I’ve ever had the misfortune of. They must have changed it.

You haven’t bought the Specialized one then!

I find Stans the best, don’t get the monsters either. Maybe it’s to do with getting a really good seal from the first fit? I tend to run high pressures (for tuneless, 40 psi ish) though so don’t get burps either.

nedrapier

terrahawk – Member

Used to use Stans, thought it was ok but had to use loads of it.

How much do you stick in a 29er? I’m new to this lark. Just done my wife’s rear (ooer) I used 40ml as per instructions. Doesn’t seem like a lot.

nemesis
    Free Member

2 scoops for my 29er which IIRC is around 50ml

1 scoop in my CX

3 scoops in b+ though I think that’s probably overkill.

peepingtom
    Free Member

Stans here , tried Goop once , bloody waste of money that was .

jamesg55
    Free Member

I’ve used stans for a while and as mentioned above i think the monsters have to do the tyre and how well its sealed to the. As had the same type of tyre on a different bike/rim and had monsters in 1 and not in the other. Same result happens with different tyres on the same rim.

But stans always works well and I the same liquid for 6 months

riddoch

Doesn’t stans also react with co2, if you use use canister to seat the tyre that might shorten the life.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve been using Stans for years

I generally keep up with top ups

I fill by pulling a tyre side off a bit, inspect and deal with whatever I find

Works – I think I’ll stick

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Just got some schwalbe stuff (made by stans) cheaper and seems to work pretty good so far……

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Sealant – any better alternatives to Stan's?’ is closed to new replies.