Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SDH forum alumni
  • razorrazoo

Seems to be a few of the old SDH crowd floating about on here. Who else used to enjoy frittering away the hours in the chill zone?

Razor was my forum name, some other bugger got there first with that one on this forum.

xiphon
    Free Member

Spend many a waking hour on there, back when the top post in the chill zone changed every 2 minutes.

Now it’s every 2 months…

Much of it will be down to social media – explosion of Facebook, Twitter, etc – events (like BDS, Borderline, SDA, MIJ, Dragons, etc) used the forums as their “official” media outlet.

The ‘re-brand’ to ride.io, and decline in forum activity, was a sign for many long-timers to leave… problem was – the new recruits were already in groups on Facebook.

razorrazoo

Did you have some sort of tribal / Indian avatar Xiphon?

Guess it was never going to last, was definitely of its time when DH was really taking off. Used to love the car thread with that fella that changed cars quicker than Hora changes bikes.

xiphon
    Free Member

Nope, always had a Penny Farthing rider face planting…

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I left when the ride.io rebrand killed it.

TBH it was tailing off a fair bit before then anyway.

I think it had too many sub-forums – once the number of posts dropped it just looked dead all the time.

Reckon stw have it right with only the two forums, keeps it looking fresh.

EDIT: see also descent-world. That was tailing off too, went offline for a bit, got a facelift then never recovered.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hand up …. Same name.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

SDH – wooow, old days…
    Met a lot of riding buddies on SDH 🙂

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Same name, didn’t it get changed to ride.io or am I getting it mixed up with Descent World?

xiphon
    Free Member

Descent World got hacked didn’t they?

andeh

Yep, SDH refugee also…..think I had the same name. Died on its arse once they rebranded, which was all pretty bizarre.

Speeder

Was Speeder on there also. Loved the place and spent many an hour on there when I should have been working. If my life and riding hadn’t moved on from being mostly downhill based I’d probably be there a bit more but I drop in now once or twice a month but can’t remember the last time I posted.

I was a right sucker for the SDH trendy bikes and had both a Keewee and a Balfa both bought off the forum. Was an amazing place for getting spares.

Think it died because of Pinkbike the name change and when they divided it all up too much, as has been said above. I’m not convinced on the social media point of view – I really don’t see it fulfilling the same community purpose. Just look at this place.

SDH was always a bit of a stretch but then it did just mean south of Scotland really so it kind of worked. the Ride.io was a bit of a WHAT!? moment and I think it lost a lot of credibility because of it. Not that it was ever a “cool” place to say you frequented but I met a bunch of great people via there and still see/talk to a few.

Northwind

Aye, same name there too… I remember meeting Ace (HTN) at a race and him going “But you’re scottish, why are you on southern downhill” 😆 I think they wanted to get away from that geographic thing but who really paid it any attention?

razorrazoo

Remember quite a few names here. Speeder and Trail Rat (terry?) ring bells.

Used to buy and sell loads on the forum. Got a Keewee new from Topshelf on the forum and sold it in under a year for an M1 which popped up on the for sale board one day.

Didn’t you have to be an Immortal to access the Chill Zone? Can’t remember how that all worked. Still in touch with a few of the guys that still ride from back in the day.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Me – DaveyBoyWonder / Dave @ ProjectLeeds / Dave @ Dirtscene / Dave @ RideCentral.

Left when I stopped riding DH but came back occasionally when helping my mate Dan out with his ProjectLeeds/RideCentral business venture.

Been back about twice since changing to ride.io and its utter balls. Whole sub-forums which haven’t had any new updates for days/weeks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It was quite a good forum for a while. I think I joined in about 2004, used to spend quite a bit of time on there; met and rode with quite a few people off there aswell. From what I can remember, there was at least one moderate who took himself/the forum far too seriously; no top bantz allowed!

Had my account deleted or suspended, can’t remember, and then I stopped using it really. Looks like the rebrand has killed it off.

xiphon
    Free Member

I remember reading somewhere that STW has seen an increase in traffic, despite the ever sprawling Facebook.

Almost like it’s a place to discuss bike/non-bike things away from Facebook.

Any opinions on ‘Enduro’ being the new cool thing to ride, which SDH had little connection with (in terms of forums) ?

beefheart
    Free Member

Too much censorship and easily offended mods ended it for me, and that was before the name change.

cokie

I left when the ride.io rebrand killed it.

Aye, I was on there for years until the re-brand.
    I was Ska-49. I recognize quite a few people here from the old days..

soobalias
    Free Member

always wondered where ride.io got my email from.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SDH forum alumni’ is closed to new replies.