Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • sdg bel air saddle- how do you find them?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

any one got one? love it or hate it?
    im looking at the Ti versuion if it makes any odds…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like mine, although little spoon has gone numb on occasions, im now looking at spesh etc to see if it makes an apreciable difference.

odannyboy
    Free Member

little spoon 😯

GaryLake
    Free Member

Well I always swore by it until I started riding my Genesis singlespeed, with own brand saddle, without padded shorts (stood up most of the time see). On the few occasions I do sit down, I'm amazed at how I probably wouldn't need padded shorts even if it was geared, leading me to believe that perhaps the old Bel Air isn't that comfy afterball. I do go a bit numb and the arse bones on long climbs…

igm

On Merlin 😀

Like both of mine one Ti, one not. Not much difference between them. WHen you fit them the back should be a lot higher than you'd think. It feels right once you're on it.

odannyboy
    Free Member

my saddle doesnt cause any numbness but its flat and hard so like riding on a block of wood.makes my pelvic bones sore.cant see that much could be worse than what i have…

StuF

I like mine, when I first put it on I had to keep reminding myself that I had a new saddle as it was just there doing what its meant to without problem.

I had a specialized one but the body popped off the rails when I crashed.

retro83
    Free Member

regular ones with rails = good
    i-beam ones = uncomfortable

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had mine about 3 months and it's fine. Took a couple of rides to get used to it and sort out the right angle etc, but guess that is the same with all saddles. I got the cheapest black rail one from Merlin for £20, but they were also doing good deals on the Ti ones – much cheaper that CRC or Wiggle

nickc

I'm entirely the opposite to retro83

Coyote
    Free Member

Got a Ti one. It's very noisy. Creaks like a creaking thing from a very creaky place. Pretty comfy though.

el_creedo
    Free Member

I have ridden long off road and on road distances on mine and really like it.
    Have just replaced the Five's one with a Charge Spoon though, and man it's good. The nose is amazing for hard sat-down climbing. Cheap too…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

my Ti version creaks like a fat bird in a corset!

tommid
    Free Member

I was bought a Ti one by my GF, At first I didn't want to use it as I loved my Flite, but as she had bought it for me I put it on my bike. Wider than I normaly like, but actually a really great saddle. Good comfort on long rides and not to wide to stop you from getting off the saddle.

iainc

I have one on each of my 3 bikes and have used nothing else for past few years – love 'em. The creaking can be cured if you get some chain lube into the rail holes when new and every 3 months or so repeat, with the saddle upside down, letting it soak for an hour or so. (unscrew the rail end covers first). also, don't jet wash !

retro83
    Free Member

I'm entirely the opposite to retro83

That's interesting, I really loved my railed one, but I just can't get on with the I-Beam one.

It's got far less padding than the railed one, and because there is no give in the base – the ride is very jarring.

Jezwick
    Free Member

Coyote – Member

Got a Ti one. It's very noisy. Creaks like a creaking thing from a very creaky place. Pretty comfy though.

drop some chain lube down where the rails join the saddle and that will go away.

Personally I wouldn't have any other saddle

DezB
    Free Member

They're not right for my arse

daveb
    Free Member

I have a ti one, really like them although have recently put a Gobi Xm on my other bike and am preferring it for the longer rides.

tinsy
    Free Member

yup had a bel air and swore by it, until I tried a charge spoon.

edit not to be confused with a little spoon !

AB
    Free Member

Very good saddle that a lot of people seem to get on with.

DrP

I've just this minute taken delivery of a charge spoon to swap for my ti bel air.
    It was OK, but not the most comfy for me.

I think the turning point was racing at the BBB in a pair of speedos, and getting right royal arse chafe…
    Plus I chuckle at the thought of having a spoon up my bum…

DrP

nickc

It's got far less padding than the railed one, and because there is no give in the base – the ride is very jarring.

I've an ST version, slightly more padded I think, and TBH the base moves about much more than my railed SDG did, perhaps they've changed the design? Run in combo with a Kore Carbon I beam post, it even makes my Chameleon a nice place to be on all-day rides.

emac65
    Free Member

my Ti version creaks like a fat bird in a corset

Ditto that

Clembo
    Free Member

I've got an OEM one. Cheap and comfortable but heavy. I was using a Gobi XM but started to get some, ahem pain in the delicates! Not a saddle for weight weenies but the ti ones will obviously be alot lighter

Clembo
    Free Member

oh and my creaks like a fat bird in a PVC corset 😉

higgo
    Free Member

As above really.

I've got four of them on MTBs, 1 Ti and 3 CroMo. They all creak. They're all pretty comfy. I don't normally recommend saddles but…
    If you're @rse is exactly like mine and you ride a bike just like I do, then the Bel Air is definitely the saddle for you.

higgo
    Free Member

p.s. I'm unfamiliar with fat birds in corsets. For research purposes only could someone point me at a suitable web resource?

oldfart

got 2 of the steel ones super comfy but need regular attention cause they creak and i have tried finish line on the rail join.

anjs
    Free Member

I have had a cromo one for the last year or so. Yes they do creak but as people have said chain lube down the gap where the rail meet the seat does the trick.
    Did the South Downs Way on my over 3 days carrying all my camping kit (~12Kg) on my back with no problems at all. Did not even need to get the vasaline out at the end.

MoreCashThanDash

I found mine the best MTB saddle I'd tried – got it on a deal from Merlin.

Sadly it was sold in error when I had to get rid of a bike last year:-(

But when I can get the petty cash together I'd have another.

Oh – it was Ti railed, and it squeaked like beggary!

dobo
    Free Member

squeeky…

pantsonfire
    Free Member

There must be something wrong with my Bel Air because it doesnt make a sound. I love my saddle and it loves my backside

mAx_hEadSet

I had two ti's and loved em, find the wtb rocket v better though… although no faux animal fur prints

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I don't have creaky problems (that I can hear over my creaky knees). I have one each on my three MTBs, one Ti, one CroMo and one OEM CroMo. The build on the latter doesn't seem so good. I also tried an I-Beam and didn't get on with it. That was silly light though – very impressive – it just didn't like my arse.

I do really like the regular Bel Air RL – it's my favourite saddle. You'll just have to try it though to see if it suits you. Ditto Merlin for the deals.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘sdg bel air saddle- how do you find them?’ is closed to new replies.