Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Scotland – It's a beautiful place.
  • didmatt
    Free Member

2 of mine pics from Scotland, cant get enough of it.. Really need to move! 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

puts finger in ears, covers eyes and shouts STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

i wanna go now

sod it, hogmanay it is

now where to camp?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

organic355,

yip i've been to Dundee. I'm not in the habit of of voicing uninformed opinion. I confess I haven't been down every street but the bits Ive been to have been well rough. My wife got her handbag nicked in the town centre and I got myself a kicking when I was up at a football match a couple of years back.

But if you like I'll change my post to:

Dundee (except the nice bits which are undeniably overwhelmed by the rough bits)

robgarrioch

'ken where you were there, didmatt…

(photostream)

didmatt
    Free Member

robgarrioch : Aye, its the stunning Isle of Skye. I keep finding myself going over the last 4yrs. Went in Feb this year with our bikes, didn't really get much biking done! It was abit rough to say the least!

robgarrioch

This thread may interest you for your next trip didmatt.

jad
    Free Member

I live in a grim part of Scotland but have easy access to places like this:

Skye:

CMD Arete – Ben Nevis

Tiree:

Tiree:

Loch Leven:

Stob Ghabhar Summit towards Ben Nevis:

Kit
    Free Member

Gosh, I have so few decent photos of my own country 🙁 I really need to see more of it.

Couple of mine:

ART

puts finger in ears, covers eyes and shouts STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

x2! Averaging about 3 trips a year hauling up from the South West, would leave tomorrow if I could work out how to make a living, but those pics are inspiration to keep on planning and dreaming, so thanks for that – no really. 🙂

paul-thomas
    Free Member

surfer
    Free Member

Went a couple of years ago with the family, in August.
    It rained every day!!!!!!

Still had a great time however! 😛

organic355
    Free Member

If they could just tow scotland down to the south of france it would be a tropical paradise!!!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Scotland – It's a beautiful place

Certainly one of the most beautiful countries on earth- every time I go hillwalking there I always end up wondering why I left. Trouble is you can't eat scenery. That's why so many of us have to leave to make a living.

Aristotle
    Free Member

It's such a shame that the weather is SO BAD though. On a 10 day camping trip to The Highlands and Skye in August, it rained every single day.

A relative of mine lives in Stirling and the weather seems a lot worse (wetter and greyer) than it does in Manchester.

I have had some fantastic days climbing the rock and the ice, but the weather does seem to be generally terrible for human outdoor enjoyment.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Average annual rainfall in Stirling and Manchester is the same at 75-100 cm per year.

AndyP
    Free Member

Trouble is you can't eat scenery.
    why would you want to eat scenery when there's so much cholesterol available up there? It's the national dish 😉

Aristotle
    Free Member

Average annual rainfall in Stirling and Manchester is the same at 75-100 cm per year.

Annual rainfall doesn't tell the whole story.

It seems more 'dreek' in Stirling (and the Highlands).

juan
    Free Member

:'(
    I want to go back up there…

Epic steve you are nearly right, but your motorbike road is nowhere as nice as mine (willy waving).

lowey

It is a jaw droppingly beautiful place. I love it.

I used to go climbing and walking for a week every Easter around Glen Coe, not been for probably 19 years. All my old pics are prints unfortunately.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I have had some fantastic days climbing the rock and the ice, but the weather does seem to be generally terrible for human outdoor enjoyment.<

You've not been reading Samuel Johnson have you? 😉

The weathers not all bad – Tiree for example gets more hours of sunshine than anywhere else in the UK. Went there for 15+ years on the bounce and only had one really bad week to speak of

HeatherBash
    Free Member

It's dreich – as in Loch

paul-thomas
    Free Member

No such thing as bad weather… just bad clothing

epicsteve
    Free Member

Epic steve you are nearly right, but your motorbike road is nowhere as nice as mine (willy waving).

Lets see it then!

The bit I posted has lots going for it – no traffic, no police, great scenery, good road surface etc., some great corners.

I came to work on the motorbike today and would love to just point it north and head up there.

robgarrioch

Proof positive! (about 10 mls further west from your pic steve)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh well – if its turned into a photo thread 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Proof positive! (about 10 mls further west from your pic steve)

I'm pretty sure I've taken photo's from that spot or somewhere very nearby.

kennyp
    Free Member

would leave tomorrow if I could work out how to make a living

What do you do that you couldn't do up here? I'm not taking the mickey, it's an honest question.

Oh, and another photo, this time from the campsite at Applecross.

clareymorris

All of these photos are getting me REALLY excited 😀
    I don't really care about the rough parts of Scotland, I'm not going to be going there!!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK – photos are good.

and of course…

duckman

Love it, may we please have locations as well please!

bigbloke
    Free Member

I would give my right arm to move up to Scotland (not city though, although i was born in Glasgow), lived in England since a year or so old, as has most of my relatives now.

Going on hols next year to Tulloch Farm just down the road from Roybridge, fantastic part of the world, i may even sneak my bike onto the car without her knowing and have a cheeky run at Nevis Range or over at Laggan….shooosh.

The only thing stopping me uproot my family is work, if i could find something similar to what i do , i would be there like a shot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ardrossan

shudder…that's worse than Sheffield!

I'll see your Ardrossan and raise you a Slough, or a Hounslow…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Airdrie / coatbridge

Smee
    Free Member

I'm going for the nuclear option – double strike – sighthill – both glasgow & edinburgh options.

didmatt
    Free Member

duckman : My photos,
    1st was taken looking back on Kinnlochleven with the Pap of Glencoe in the disance, taken somewhere on the west highland way. multimap link

2nd was taken on the Isle of Skye, just below the old man of Storr which is in the north east of the island between Portree and Staffin. Multimap link

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Skinflats.

I rest my case (whatever it was).

Duckman, my photos are:

1) Nevis Range at Relentless 24 2008
    2) Beach near Applecross
    3) Fisherfield Hills, looking to An Teallach
    4) Arisaig looking to Eigg and Rhum
    5) Swindon ;o)

iDave
    Free Member

the photos don't tell the whole story – taken under rare climatic conditions

shite weather most of the year round, and bastard midges

grumm
    Free Member

Some great pics in this thread. Mine was taken from near Stein on Skye btw – looking out towards Uist.

ART

kennyp – no worries, I need people to keep asking me that. I'm a consultant I work in sustainable development, currently mostly in environmental planning at a strategic level, but have previously working in public and academic sector on various environmental management/ assessement, corporate social responsibiity/ strategy stuff. Have been researching for some time possibilities in the highlands, just haven't quite figured out what/where and how I can blend that with the other stuff that I actually really want to do – build/ renovate own home, get a bit of land.. you know dreamy stuff… 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If it didn't rain it would not be so green and lush – and if it wasn't for the midges it would be overpopulated.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Scotland – It's a beautiful place.’ is closed to new replies.