Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Scotland – It's a beautiful place.
  • Smee
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p9210 a 50 minute film about the highlands.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I watched that in a hotel in Glasgow on Thursday night. An excellent programme, and really beautifully done.

druidh
    Free Member

Shoosh!

j_me
    Free Member

Not all of it is.
    Bathgate.
    QED.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Have you been to Glasgow?

robgarrioch

Loch Maree – my fave place on the planet; it's just 15 mls east of the home-stead.

Thanks for the heads-up there George, will settle back to watch this later, on iPlayer.
    Tried to do the track to the west end of the loch about a year ago, 'challenging' would be an appropriate description… It's part of K Wilsons route 42, point 4 – point 1; I think it had eroded somewhat since he recorded it!

Kit
    Free Member

Scotland – It's a beautiful place

Aye, but full of c**ts!

😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

Loch Maree – my fave place on the planet; it's just 15 mls east of the home-stead.

I love the view over the Loch Maree as you approach Kinlochewe from the east.

Are you in Gairloch then?

robgarrioch

Born 'n' raised in Opinan Steve, 9 mls south of Gairloch on the coast, now stay not too far from yersel', in Bonaly…
    Would love to live there still, but little meaningful work, within my 'skills' envelope, negated that. Most of the immediate family still there – twin sister runs the 'Farm & Garden' store in Gairloch with bro' in law if you're passing (good prices on Montane stuff, tho' that might be family discount!)

WTF
    Free Member

mansonsoul – Member
    Have you been to Glasgow?

In fairness to Glasgow there are far worst cities in the UK.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Born 'n' raised in Opinan Steve, 9 mls south of Gairloch on the coast

Know it – nice little beach there and some caves in the cliffs if I recall correctly. I'm usually in Gairloch a few times each year and always take a trip out to the beach at Redpoint. We've been considering buying a holiday place up there – serious considered one in North Erradale earlier in the year.

I've been to lots of places across the world but the Gairloch area is still my favourite so far.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the **** earth, the most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English, I don't. They're just ****. We, on the other hand, are colonized by ****. We can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Tommy! And all the fresh air in the world won't make any **** difference!

robgarrioch

full of c**ts!

Your euphemism for midges, Kit?

Just watched the OP programme, great to get views of the other side of the islands (never like the twirly, pipey folk music backgrounds they put on though. Pumping bass driven rock next time please!). Geographically, it has the usual paradox, can often be the grimmest place on earth, but being there on a nice day – oh yeah 8) Of course, being there in the right clothing improves every day.
    Hoping to do a few epic rides there next year (torridon, slioch etc.) – might buzz you at the time Steve in case you'll be visiting…

Drac

Yup it is stunning.

I was going to quote Trainspotting too but TJ beat me to it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"can often be the grimmest place on earth, but being there on a nice day – oh yeah"

Absolutely spot on

thegreatape
    Free Member

I'm walking my dogs around the Lochan at Glencoe. The sky is as clear as a clear thing, the water's so still the stars are reflected in it, and I can just about see without a torch. It's stunning.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

just watched this – it is a very attractive part of the country.

thanks for posting that

druidh
    Free Member

Well, if we're doing Slioch….

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Scotland is a beautiful place (outside the towns mostly) but, like everywhere else, there's some rough too:

Ardrossan
    Bathgate
    Methil
    Glenrothes
    Cumbernauld
    Dundee
    Cowdenbeath
    Lochgelly
    Livingston
    etc

Aristotle
    Free Member

We stayed at Big Sands, nr Gairloch in the 'summer'. It's a fantastic area.

coffeeking
    Free Member

grumm
    Free Member

Good excuse to post this again? 🙂

Prizes for guessing where

Love Scotland – have at least one holiday up there every year without fail.

yoshimi

Its nearly as nice as the lake district

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Aristotle, I think I stayed there ages back. Is it still 4 farmhouses and a phonebox? It was rotten weather when we were there which made it pretty bleak but you could see it would be cracking in the right weather.

AndyP
    Free Member

Ardrossan

shudder…that's worse than Sheffield!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Prizes for guessing where<

Achiltibuie / Summer Isles?

robgarrioch

Well, if we're doing Slioch….

I'll see your slioch, Colin

And raise you 1 sunrise from my old room window

(photostream)

The LH hill is Baosbheinn (OS grid NG 869 657), Beinn Alligin on the right.

Edit; can't see your picture at work Grumm – where's it taken? 😈

grumm
    Free Member

>Prizes for guessing where<

Achiltibuie / Summer Isles?

Nope fraid not 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

think we are averaging twice a year in the highlands at the moment

hopefully if plans go right then we'll be an awful lot closer to them permanently 🙂

i effing love scotland

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

grumm – colonsay or there abouts?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

mrmichalewright, that cottage at the end of the loch looks like a decent place to lay your hat.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

indeed, although not in midge season

Smee
    Free Member

Some of my photos.

tony_m
    Free Member

My lucky friend walking her dog, less than 15 minutes stroll from her house… :mrgreen:

Can't wait to get up there for Christmas and Hogmanay! 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wish I could live somewhere that remote, just a shame my work doesnt allow it 🙁

tony_m
    Free Member

Wish I could live somewhere that remote, just a shame my work doesnt allow it 🙁

Indeed. My friend was fortunate in that a job she was qualified to do came up with the local council up there, and apparently she was the only person who applied!!! 😆

epicsteve
    Free Member

We stayed at Big Sands, nr Gairloch in the 'summer'. It's a fantastic area

One of my favourite campsites that.

Some great pictures on this thread. Here's some of my offerings:

One of the best motorcycling roads on the planet.

On the beach at Big Sand

robgarrioch

All this makes me want to finish early & go for a walk…. tonights ride round GTress may not entirely satisfy.

May this thread goan and on!

organic355
    Free Member

algarvebairn

have you actually been to Dundee before you slate it? Every city has its rough bits, but as a Non-Dundonian, half english half Scot, I think Dundee has a hell of a lot going for it and I have lived here for 5 years.

Really p*sses me off the rest of Scotland's snobbery towards Dundee.

organic355
    Free Member

oh and heres some pictures of Stac Pollaidh, or is it Mars?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Scotland – It's a beautiful place.’ is closed to new replies.