Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • scoring on steerer – will someone die?
  • nedrapier

0.05mm deep, according to the calipers.

there’s more difference comparing plus/minus 90degrees round the steerer tube on undamaged sections than there is inside the score and just above.

Thinking of passing these onto a friend, and wondering if I can do this with a clear enough conscience. He’s got a taller steerer tube, so the stress won’t be in the same place. Forks are Marz MX Comps, otherwise in great nick.

Any thoughts?

Or, if passing them onto someone else is a bit riven with difficulties, would you ride these yourself? xc type stuff. swinley or trail centres at quite a sedate pace.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d ride them but wouldn’t sell/gift them. I’m sure shey’ll be fine but you’d always have the nagging doubt.

nedrapier

That’s the thing, I’m sure they’d be fine, but there’s the slight doubt.

I don’t know whether the doubt is reasonable, though. Seems silly to have these languishing in the cupboard while my mate rides round on forks that are probably more dangerous!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

That wouldn’t worry me in the slightest, its hardly even taken the surface finish off.

lightman
    Free Member

0.05mm! I probably make a deeper score in my seat posts to mark the hight, and have done for years.
    Pass/sell them on, they’ll be fine.

woodster

I’d happily pass them on or even sell them without worrying.

sandwicheater

My cat died last week and I point the finger of blame squarely on you and this steerer.

*I may not own a cat.

stumpy01

50 microns….it’ll be fine.

If you’re worried, just give it a light rub round with something like 400 grit wet & dry to take any burrs/sharp edge off.

qtip

*I may not own a cat.

Of course you don’t. It died, and it’s the OP’s fault.

tpbiker
    Free Member

how on earth do you measure a 20th of a mm?

Either way, thats going to be fine. Have you looked inside the steerer to see what the star nut does to your fork?

nedrapier

digital calipers, tp.

Sorry about your cat, sandwicheater.

If it helps you in this sad time, these forks have been in the cupboard for 4-5 years, so they might equally have been responsible for the birth of your cat.

BoardinBob

I rode and sold a set of lyriks with a worse gouge than that. Put it this way, the SFN causes more damage than that.

somafunk

That’s outrageous!……you come on here bragging about beating sandwicheaters cat to a bloody pulp with your bombers and you expect us to buy them for more than a new pair costs from chain reaction?…..bloody cheek.

nedrapier

Sorry.

So based on that picture, do you think I’m asking too much?

I can post a link to the classified…

nedrapier

Well his were worse than I remembered.

Never used the word “grim” to describe a bike part before! Kind of makes all that^ redundant when you look at the alternative.

Just got a thank you note from him saying it’s the first time for ages he’s got to work without spots of fork oil on his trousers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘scoring on steerer – will someone die?’ is closed to new replies.