Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Sci Fi book people
  • ojom
    Free Member

Anyone got some good suggestions for novels with aliens and shit?

On bit of a reading thing at the moment and fancy some new books.
    Thanks.

Russell96

Iain M Banks Consider Phelbas
    Neal Asher Gridlinked

Inbred456
    Free Member

Alan Dean Foster. The i Inside and Sentenced To Prism. Does a lot of Sci Fantasy as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surface Detail for Iain M Banks.

I read that ‘Quantum Thief’ by some Finnish bloke. Bit of a head **** but pretty good. Not really aliens as such tho. Also, recommended off here was Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Blew me away, but again not exactly wall to wall spaceship/alien action.

clubber
    Free Member

Neal Asher +1. I recently finished all his books and wish there were more.

spudly1979
    Free Member

The black library has a lot of really good stuff spread across several different authors if you like the war hammer 40k universe? Dan abnett in particular is simply ace.

Richard. Morgan has done some great but very dark stuff altered carbon in particular I couldn’t put down.

Philip k dick has done loads you’ll recognise from Hollywood adaptations.

stevio

Greg Bear – Eon (just rereading it yet again) – secrets from Earth’s future return to roughly present day Earth in a giant asteroid

David Drake – Hammers Slammers – tanks and loyalty in a mercenary unit

Richard Morgan – Altered Carbon – ex SF trooper hired to solve a murder is dropped into a new body

Robert Heinlein – Stranger in a strange land – the only survivor of a lost mission to Mars comes to Earth after being brought up by the martians and turns the world upside down…

all worth trying…

and second Consider Phlebas – probably my favourite sci fi book of all time

Cooroo
    Free Member

Oh Molgrips – Anathem! What a great book.

Recently read The Forever War, got aliens and battles, bit dated but classic.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Any Iain M Banks. Especially The Culture ones.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBC sort yersel oot and read some Kelman FFS!

stuey
    Free Member

Robert Heinlein – Stranger in a strange land – just re-read this since I found out bitd the original had 70,000 words cut to make it more saleable!
    ‘newer edit’ even better / less staccato ( says the 2 fingered typist)

– timeless.

jes
    Free Member

Amtrack Wars (series) – Patrick Tilly
    Dune (series) – Frank Herbert
    Foundation (series) – Isaac Asimov
    I Robot – Isaac Asimov

kimbers

Ian m banks stuff is excellent

alistair Reynolds revelation space series is probably a step darker

peter f Hamilton for epic space opera

Dan simmonds needs to write more scifi the hyperion books and ilium and olympos are pageturners with a classical twist

frank herberts dune books too

Smudger666

Some good suggestions so far……..

Roadside picnic – Igor & boris strugatsky
    Starship troopers – Robert Heinlein ( forget the film)
    Iain m banks – all/any of his stuff
    Gateway – Frederick pohl

hamishthecat

Bit old and light weight but the Stainless Steel Rat and Deathworld series by Harry Harrison are good fun.

Russell96

Orson Scott Card – Enders Game
    Vernor Vinge – A Fire upon the Deep
    Ken MacLeod – The Cassini Division

Del

banks is great – both his contemporary fiction and sf, and i’d reiterate the recommendation for the culture books. excellent imo.
    reynolds not bad, check the glitterband based stuff.
    hamilton i waded through. found it hard going, and didn’t really invest much in his characters. might just be me.
    heinlein i need to revisit. i read his stuff ( including stranger in a strange land and starship troopers ) many years ago, and need to go over it again. i suspect i’ll enjoy it all again.

sort of interested in the warhammer 40k stuff. not to trashy?

rOcKeTdOg

Alan Dean Foster
    +1

couldn’t get enough of his stuff, especially anything in the commonwealth series

druidh
    Free Member

Rendezvous with Rama
    Childhoods End

deluded
    Free Member

The Takeshi Kovacs trilogy (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies) by Richard Morgan, utterly superb – not read anything that good in years (in any genre).

Dan Abnett’s Eisenhorn and Gaunt’s Ghost stuff is v good.

Got halfway through Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds but just couldn’t bring myself to finish it – found it really hard work.

Currently reading The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross – if that doesn’t buck its ideas up in the next few pages or so it’s getting fired-off.

EDIT – Anything by H.P. Lovecraft. More connoisseurs horror / weird fiction really, but could loosely be termed Sci Fi.

Russell96

Charles Stross, the Laundry Series and the Halting State series are a sort of future now sci fi. Read his Singularity Sky & Iron Sunrise for big SciFi. His problem is that he really thinks quite deeply about stuff so the big SciFi for him is quite challenging http://www.accelerando.org/

iridebikes
    Free Member

I second foundation by asimov, its brilliant, also i loved ‘the forever war’ by Joe Haldeman, a book called ‘midnight at the well of souls’ was excellent, and a bit different but check out ‘seahorse in the sky’ by edmund cooper.

They are all some of my favourites

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, as above.

Enders game, anything by Iain M Banks, Dune is astounding, all of them.
    Heinlein is OK I guess. Stranger in a strange land is his best.

Phillip K Dick. Hmmm, the film conversions are usually good but some of the original stories are pretty poor. I have no idea why he’s a respected author. Asimov also, very odd writing.

But for me, the best will always be Snow Crash which is more cyber punk than Sci Fi but Stephenson is such an amazing writer it’s worth a mention.

Northwind

No aliens in these ones buuuuut…

Mars Trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein
    The Fall Revolution series, by Ken Macleod (starting with the Star Fraction)
    Stand on Zanzibar, by John Brunner
    Vurt, by Jeff Noon

And yep, Richard Morgan’s Kovacs series.
    Older Iain M Banks- Player of Games, Use of Weapons, and most of all Consider Phlebeas (ok these do have aliens in)
    and Snow Crash etc by Neal Stephenson

You might want to try the Night’s Dawn series by Peter F Hamilton. But they’re a bit iffy tbh, man needs an editor in the same way as I need a girlfriend 😉

Lastly, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Neither aliens nor spaceships but everyone should read it regardless.

CountZero

Charlie Stross does excellent stuff, the Atrocity Archives is very good, once you get into it; James Bond fights Cthulu! What’s not to like. 😀 his Iron Sunrise/Singularity Sky books are all you get in that series; in his blog he admits he’s painted himself into a corner with the science. Saturn’s Children is another good one of his.
    Snow Crash! What a book, an absolute classic. It’ll be interesting to see how it’s handled as a film; lots of scope for a total cluster****!

redwoods
    Free Member

I would have to +1 the recs for black library/40k stuff if for no other reason than I work for them!

ojom
    Free Member

Great list there. Thanks all! Book tokens ready to deploy.

RealMan
    Free Member

Recently read The Forever War, got aliens and battles, bit dated but classic.

Found it at a book sale thing at a community centre and bought it for 25p or something silly. One of my favourite books, it’s fantastic.

anagallis_arvensis

Any Iain M Banks. Especially The Culture ones

I’d start with the earlier ones then you will start to see a few extra in jokes. Against a Dark Background and Use of Weapons are my favs.

Trimix
    Free Member

Robert Reed – read all his stuff, brilliant.
    Alistair Reynolds – also read all his stuff, great.
    Neil Asher – read all his stuff as well, dark and gory.
    Steven Baxter – Flood was quite moving and hit me hard.

Reed, Reynolds and Asher all have a scientific background which makes the story much better.

samuri
    Free Member

Snow Crash! What a book, an absolute classic. It’ll be interesting to see how it’s handled as a film; lots of scope for a total cluster****!

Nah, I thought The Matrix was a good film 😉

(and let the Snow Crash/Neuromancer argument begin 😉 )

z1ppy

and let the Snow Crash/Neuromancer argument begin

with no spoilers please, as Neuromancer on my “to read” pile (and forever war) & I can’t agree Snowcrash is Neals best (it’s very good, but I prefer Cryptonomicon) & I’ve yet to read all his stuff.

Agree with majority of the stuff listed about Banks (+1000), Reynolds, Hamilton (poor twee ending would be my review to what promised in the 1st book to be an excellent series), but do like the old stuff like Asimov’s (foundation, I robot), Saberhagen (beserker series), Larry Niven (Man Kzin wars) & Heinlein. I do also love Herberts Dune (and other non-dune books too) but hated the rest.. I have recently got hold of the series to try them again (2nd chance)

One seemingly big name missing for me though is David Brin, the Uplift series is excellent.

redwoods – Member
    I would have to +1 the recs for black library/40k stuff if for no other reason than I work for them!

Read the 1st book of Abnett’s The Horus Heresy series and very very impressed by how dark and well written it was (I need to revisit/finish them), have read a number of other 40K works that vary greatly in quality, though I am a fan of the very light weight fun 40K Cain series.

PS. Cheers NW hadn’t realised there was follow up books to the 1st Kovacs book – off to ‘locate’ them now!

samuri
    Free Member

I think we were saying Snow Crash was his best sci-fi related book. Cryptonomicon is superb, I’d struggle to pick which one I preferred.

z1ppy

fair point, it without doubt is,it’s just Cryptonomicon is so much funnier…

redwoods
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    Read the 1st book of Abnett’s The Horus Heresy series and very very impressed by how dark and well written it was (I need to revisit/finish them), have read a number of other 40K works that vary greatly in quality, though I am a fan of the very light weight fun 40K Cain series.

I’ll hold my hands up and admit I don’t actually read any of our stuff, I just make it!

I think I probably have to be careful what I say here in case I cross any kind of external-company-self-promotion-and-marketing sort of line, but if you’ve not read any for a while then maybe worth a revisit – Dan Abnett’s certainly written another two books for the HH series since the first 😉

acidchunks

Probably more steampunk than scifi but China Mieville’s Perdido St Station is an amazing read.

nbt

I am gobsmacked to realise that no-one’s recommended Stephen R Donaldson’s Gap series. Brilliant. Get it NOW, all of you. If you’re on this thread you must like SF, well, trust me, this’ll float your boat

z1ppy

..what so Donaldson can continue on his rape obsession.. I bought it, even after years of dragging my through the drivel of the “The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant” (and it’s second series) all becuase my parents thought I’d enjoy it (covenant series).
    Anyone want the gap series for postage?
    Cause I definitely don’t & am annoyed that I wasted the money on it

Personnally I took it as a good sign no one had mentioned it.

*in all in my very humble opinion obviously.

EDIT: Actually I think I may have just dug the unbeliever series out of a loft, if anyone want to waste their time on that too, before i charity shop it?

In complete contrast I love his “Mordant’s Need” book.

johnners
    Free Member

Actually I think I may have just dug the unbeliever series out of a loft, if anyone want to waste their time on that too, before i charity shop it?

It’s only fit for mulch.

z1ppy

agreed..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Sci Fi book people’ is closed to new replies.