Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Schwalbe BIG APPLE – any body use them?
  • H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

As it says, just wondered what they would be like on my hardtail commuter?

thomthumb
    Free Member

ridden them on a couple of bikes.

the 20″ 2″ did what you’d want on a folding bike.
    the 26″ 2.3s are heavy and took some getting up to speed. but super smooth rolling.

can’t comment on longevity or punctures as neither are my bike.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Big, fat and heavy!

Very comfy though. And pretty puncture proof. Ideal for a fat-tyre blast over kerbs and pot-holes.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I use some 26″ x 2.0″ and they’re brill. Comfy and fat, and with a reasonable PSI they’re quite nippy once you get them up to speed. What bike are you putting them on?

Innes
    Free Member

I use a 2.0″ one on my Kris Holm 29er Unicycle and it is great.

The 2.3″ one wandered though, but that could be just on a Unicycle.

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

They are for a rockhopper which I am thinking of fitting rigid carbon foks to.

epicyclo

I like them. They iron out the road nicely – you can ignore the surface – and you can use your bakes hard.

There is a Lite version.

Woody
    Free Member

I thought about these and went for DMR Motos instead. Not much difference in weight (depending on the model) and they seem to handle on and offroad very well.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Big Apples are nice, but their Super Motos are faster and don’t have the annoying reflective hoop.
    Never punctured them off road either. Just don’t try anything off camber or uphill 🙂

epicyclo

ooOOoo – Member
    Big Apples are nice, but their Super Motos are faster and don’t have the annoying reflective hoop.
    Never punctured them off road either. Just don’t try anything off camber or uphill

Woose 🙂

… but you’re right.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I ran them on my MTB on 18 mile each way commute and they are very comfortable and very puncture proof. Even grip like buggery in the wet on bends and squeal in the dry when you bank them over at speed 😛

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

What is on the rear of yours epicyclo and what sizes are they?

pascoa341
    Free Member

perfect commuting tyres imho. Also great for dry mtb’ing!

epicyclo

Can’t remember what the rear is – just a cruiser tyre.

The front is a 29er otherwise I would have used Motos.

bedmaker

I’ve got a set of the hauuge Liteskin 2.35 by 29s on my steel inbred 29er which I use for road rides and exploratory duties, well I did in the summer at least.
    Lots of single track roads and fire road/estate tracks around here.

On the road at 50 – 60 psi they roll along nicely on the third world roads we were left with after last winter.
    Find some offroad, drop pressure a bit, and they are great with the big volume.
    Clearly they are rubbish on grass/mud but on fire roads at 30ish psi they are faster than just about anything else out there. 🙂

As others have said, they can do weird things to the handling, on tarmac they want to make the front end on my inbred want to flop over into turns at low speed, and at high speed it needs to be muscled into urns due to the gyroscopic effect from their weight.
    I like them, they look cool too with their big balloonyness.

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

I’ve just put a pair of 2.0s on my commuter to replace Continental Gatorskins. Noticeably heavier but roll well and give the bike a much more planted feel.

I changed as I’ve just fitted a co-pilot limo on the back and wanted the softest ride possible. First trip to nursery this morning and she fell asleep by the time we got there so a success in my book!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the annoying reflective hoop

Why on Earth is it ‘annoying’? 😕

Quite useful in town, I think. Extra little bit of safety.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a set of 26×2.0 on my old Spesh Hardrock commuting bike that runs carbon rigid forks and i like them a lot.

I also have a 29×2.35 on my pub bike 69er abomination and think it’s even betterer! Will be getting a second one at some stage to try a full set on my Salsa fargo.

The 2.35 is huge and comes up the same size as a Weirwolf 2.55. Proper balloon bike riding and they smooth out everthing. I used to run DMR Moto’s when i commuted in London (and still have one on the back of my pub bike) but prefer the Big Apples now.

Just wish the 29er version wasn’t so expensive compared to the 26.

Anybody know a cheap place to get the 29×2.35’s? All i can find is UK Bikestore at £38. 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

£38?? For one tyre??

I think I paid about £7 each in 26″x2.3″ size, but that was trade, and about 7 years ago. Tyres have some of the biggest percentage mark-ups of all bike bits.

TBH I haven’t used mine much, as they are heavy, and I found a 1.5″ Spesh Nimbus a more efficient commuter tyre, but for a fun round-town blatter, the Big Apple is perfect.

epicyclo

MrTall – Member
    …Anybody know a cheap place to get the 29×2.35’s?

Try Starbike in Germany

They are slow to actually send stuff out in my experience, but you do get it in the end.

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

I love the look of my fat Alberts (2.35’s)on my other bike and wanted to achieve a similar look but not sure on what size to go for in the apples?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe BIG APPLE – any body use them?’ is closed to new replies.