Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Scarves…. yay or nay?
  • alpin
    Free Member

with summer officially behind us and winter closing in i’ve noticed a lot more scarves about.

now i don’t know if it is just me or are scarves a bit crap?

or more specifically are men wearing scarves a bit crap?

i can’t say i’ve ever owned a scarf, but then i don’t feel the cold as much as some. but a scarf to me is more of an accessory, much like a handbag (or man bag). surely if you had a decent jacket with a collar you wouldn’t need to wrap yourself up like a girl.

maybe this is more prevalent here in germany than in the UK.

aren’t scarves just a bit, well, girly?

alpin
    Free Member

in fact.. these sort of scarves **** me off more than any other:

alpin
    Free Member

or like this:

RealMan
    Free Member

Gay. Unless you’re driving an old convertible with the roof down. Then it might just work, but no guarantees.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bit worried that other men might think you gay for wearing a scarf, Alpin?

Not quite so sure about your sexuality, that you don’t want other men thinking you might be gay?

Problem is, if you deliberately don’t wear one, then it means you’re not quite sure about your sexuality…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

gay. do your bloody jacket up.

samuri
    Free Member

Scarves are like this.

Wear them like this though, and that’s a whole world of wrong.

Oh, and they’re to keep your neck warm so if you wear one inside or when you’re not also wearing other warm clothing, that’s wrong too.

I should write a book of these rules.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

College/Club scarves – Not at all ghey, unless worn when not a member of said club or alumni of said college.

Any other scarf – Clicky

alpin
    Free Member

ah, thanks for the pointer fred. do you have a scarf? bet you do, dontcha?

alpin
    Free Member

and to which clubs or alumni are you connected CFH? some old buggery boys club?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

ah, thanks for the pointer fred. do you have a scarf? bet you do, dontcha?

No worries son. I do own a few scarves actually. Not particularly bothered what other blokes think about me wearing them, as I’m not actually concerned about the opinions of other men when it comes to my own wardrobe. Sounds like you might be though….

grumm
    Free Member

These seem to be popular at the mo.

DIE!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

grum, I own a Keffiyeh/Shemagh, which was brought back from Oman after a little skirmish there. The chap who originally owned it didn’t need it any more and would have had trouble wearing it…….

Only really gets worn when very hot. Not when cold.

ton

gay deffo…………… 😉

but ok for grandad’s to wear.

grahamh
    Free Member

usually worn covering the face, with only the eyes showing
    and the person in the scarf saying something on the lines of “death to america” 😐

ourkidsam
    Free Member

These seemed to be popular at the mo three years ago.

Keep up, grandad

alpin
    Free Member

grum – Member

DIE!

yeah, all but the last one though, eh?

no worries about how i look fred. like i said, i’ve never worn a scarf and i have no intention of beginning now. much rather do my jacket up or put another jumper on if i’m ‘feeling the cold’.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

You really are a bit of an ignorant bigot aren’t you alpin

damo2576
    Free Member

Shame to see so many people so unsure of their sexuality they can’t dress properly in a scarf for winter!

alpin
    Free Member

Mattie_H – Member
    You really are a bit of an ignorant bigot aren’t you alpin

is that a compliment?

all a bit tongue-in-cheek, mattie…. lighten up!

ton

ny fave is a silk one, plain on one side and paisley on the other.
    from my old mod days.

wombat

I have one, it keeps my neck warm, I don’t care what anyone else thinks about how it looks because I’m secure in my sexuality 8)

grumm
    Free Member

Keep up, grandad

Still plenty of gimps wearing them round here. Fashions take a while to catch on in deepest darkest Lancashire. We’ve only just stopped wearing flat caps (mostly).

mogrim

wombat +1, scarves are great.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

i’ve never worn a scarf and i have no intention of beginning now

So why bother starting a thread about it? Your suggestion that scarves are somehow ‘girly’ or ‘gay’, suggests perhaps your discomfort with the idea of homosexuality/effeminate behaviour. Surely, if you were a heterosexual man confident with who he was, you wouldn’t be worried about other blokes wearing scarves? In fact, surely you wouldn’t even notice such a thing?

Dunno. I just thought a scarf was something to keep yer neck warm/ a fashion accessory. I din’t realise they were in fact signifiers of a person’s sexuality. How strange. You live and learn, eh?

grumm
    Free Member

I have one, it keeps my neck warm

That’s fine, but there is a certain type of pretentious scarf wearer – like people who insist on wearing them inside a sweaty rock venue or whatever.

wombat

grum – Member

I have one, it keeps my neck warm

That’s fine, but there is a certain type of pretentious scarf wearer – like people who insist on wearing them inside a sweaty rock venue or whatever.

That’s a different issue entirely.

If I have a cold neck or if it looks as though I’m likely to get one then it’s scarf time. If not, then it isn’t.

My scarf wearing is entirely temperature dependent. It’s similar to me wearing a waterproof coat if it is (or looks as though it will probably soon be) raining and stopping wearing it if I’m indoors. I believe it’s called dressing in an appropriate manner to your environment 😉

mandog

what about a buff worn round the neck?

damo2576
    Free Member

Might be a surprise but a lot of people don’t dress for purely functional reasons; self expression, fashion etc

rOcKeTdOg

yes, if worn with a appropriate hat for the stylish amongst us, remember the jauntier the angle the better!

Flash
    Free Member

If I wear a scarf it’s to keep the bit between my neck and my jacket draught free.

wombat

rOcKeTdOg – Member

yes, if worn with a appropriate hat for the stylish amongst us, remember the jauntier the angle the better!

Quite right, hats should always be worn at a jaunty or rakish angle.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Nowhere as bad, imo, as blokes who wear stupid woolly hats in the middle of Summer. And blokes who wear woolly hats indoors.

crikey
    Free Member

Nowhere as bad, imo, as blokes who wear stupid woolly hats in the middle of Summer. And blokes who wear woolly hats indoors.

Plus bloody one.

If it’s warm enough to wear a T-shirt, tek tha bloody ‘at off tha stupid wassock.

…and when it gets cold, stop dressing like you’re still on bloody ‘oliday, with flip flops and stupid shorts on.

Get up, get dressed properly and stop being a cock.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

Nice one Crikey!

cookeaa

Personally I’ll wear a scarf if the weather calls for it. Not a fan of them on the bike though, seem to see them on alot of fakenger mincer types, satchel flapping this weeks fashionable pretend presciption eyewear, etc…. Just another accessory, thats not right. Real men wear a Buff on the bike.

damo2576
    Free Member

Would no one wear a nice light summer scarf?

grumm
    Free Member

Might be a surprise but a lot of people don’t dress for purely functional reasons; self expression, fashion etc

No, it’s important to some people to dress in order to look like dicks. 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

there were some bombaclaat kids talking about Keffiyeh/Shemagh scarves on the bus the other day – they were referring to them as Talibans
    scarves don’t really keep you warm, they’re more of an accessory, not that that’s a bad thing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Scarves…. yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.