Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Santa Cruz Superlight Rear Shock
  • neilscott
    Free Member

Hi Guys!

Just wondering if anybody is riding a Superlight with the RP23 rear shock? Mine has the Float R and although it’s mostly great I occasionally struggle with the back end getting quite ‘soggy’ for want of a better word! On some more technical/undulating trails it seems to sink into itself quite a lot which really holds things up. Almost feels like the back wheel is being grabbed by something or hooking into the ground somehow. It’s not a massive problem by any stretch but it’d be nice to sort it out. I have the rebound pretty much off but still no joy. Maybe it’s just due a service?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I love the bike but don’t want to spend money on a new shock for nothing!

Cheers

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I’m just the person your looking for as I bought a SC superlight this year with an rp23 on the rear and I like changing the pro pedal settings what I did do was have mine pushed by Tf tuned and custom tweaked for xc and weight and that has made a big difference ! I have the pro pedal set on 3 so firmest setting so you have the two extremes on and off . I would say that the push tuned shock doesnt blow through its travel either . Maybe keep your shock and have it set up for you as they can tweak a shock to how you want .

xcstu
    Free Member

Ya have a superlight with an RP23 shock and is excellent… certainly doesn’t ride like you say yours does!!!

Also with the RP23 you can have the option at a flick of a switch to lock it up pretty for climbing 🙂

Are you running your shock too soft?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

024 by bluerichiepig, on Flickr

benjbish

I’ve got an RP23 as well. Excellent firming up for climbing, haven’t played with all the settings too much yet but haven’t found it wanting at all up hill.

neilscott
    Free Member

Hi all!

So sorry for the delay in getting back on here and thanks very much for your posts so far. It’s a while since I looked at all the guidelines but I’m sure I read something about setting the sag between 10 and 15 mm ish and I’ve played about in and around that ball park over the past couple of years. I don’t want to give the impression it’s a pig to ride at all!! 90% of the time it’s wonderful! It’s just certain trails in certain places but I guess the same could be said of any bike really…

I am keen to try a 29er at some point. I’ve very aware that I’m tall with really long legs and although the frame is XL the fact that the seatpost is so far out means I’m pushed right back over the rear wheel. That can’t help the shock much!!

Thanks again, guys. Definitely some food for thought!

Kryton57

Apologies for the hijack, but I’m thinking of buying a Superlight for “everything duty” – the R build which I think is similar to richie’s pick above.

Although I predominantly ride singltrack – can any of you comment on riding the bike at Trailcentres / the Peaks and what its like?

Thanks

robob
    Free Member

i ride mine on singltetrack, trail centre, peaks and lakes and its awesome, brilliant and fantastic at everything. and thats a fact.

don’t know about the r build, but i assume it will be great. mine has u-turn revs (usually at 115mmm) and mostly XT.

xcstu
    Free Member

Kryton57

I used to live in the pennines and had easy access to the yorkshire dales, lakes, peaks district and this was my weapon of choice 🙂

I have also taken it to wales and scotland many times and has been faultless 🙂 and 2 trips to the Alps!!!

z1ppy

Neil – I’d talk to one of the suspension tuners about getting it custom tuned. Though I have an RP23 on mine, I never switch off the pro-pedal, but that been my attitude to these shocks all along (3 different frame using RP23’s).

As for how capable, I run it with 115mm forks,& have had some pretty damned good fun on it @ trail centres, though do prefer my Prophet for more DH stuff (As I have both)

joolsburger
    Free Member

Before spending any money try putting a few more PSI into it. My Heckler did the same when I first got it, running a little less sag cured it completely. Also I don’t get why you’d run no rebound damping to speak of, perhaps trying some of that might help too??

Paceman
    Free Member

I have the Float shock on my Superlight and find it fine with a higher PSI, and quite alot of rebound damping. Works great matched up with 120mm up front, and doesn’t feel alot different to the RP23 on my other FS bike.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

was at a welsh trail centre yesterday on mine and it flew up hill and down , really is a good all rounder especially with 120mm up front ! and my pushed rp23 really lived up to its name …love it !!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Superlight Rear Shock’ is closed to new replies.