Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Running different branded tyres
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Why does nobody do it more? I’m on a massive tinkering mission at the moment trying to find a good balance for the whippet, but for some reason I had a blind spot for changing brands between front and rear. Does anyone use different brands successfully, I can’t see any reason why not?

Northwind

I do it all the time tbh. Commuter has a conti and a schwalbe, fatbike has a maxxis and a skwabbly, and the big bike has a panaracer (I know, weird!) and a bonty. But sometimes they do match, I’ve been all-maxxis on the mtbs for a while just by coincidence

metalheart
    Free Member

Er, currently got a NN on the front and a (wtb) trailblazer on the back of the Solaris….

parkesie
    Free Member

Panracer on the back shwalbe on the front for my 29er. Cx bike maxis and shwalbe.

Trimix
    Free Member

Eh ?

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

I do it all the time tbh. Commuter has a conti and a schwalbe, fatbike has a maxxis and a skwabbly, and the big bike has a panaracer (I know, weird!) and a bonty. But sometimes they do match, I’ve been all-maxxis on the mtbs for a while just by coincidence

Northwind

If it helps, my T-pro has matching maxxis creepy crawlers on it. Just because that’s what was on it when I got it, and I never ride it. They’re probably matchingly flat too.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Front: Maxxis Shorty

Rear: Spesh Purgatory

Not by choice, but I don’t want to swap the rear tyre for a 2.4 ardent before it’s worn out 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

I have successfully ridden a bike with two different brands of tyres, yes. Without permission from people on the Internet as well. Go me!

matt007
    Free Member

I’ve done it before… but the bike tart in me just wont let me ignore it….

Running all maxxis now, mainly because I like the EXO casings for good blend of durability and weight for all round use

sandwicheater

Friend runs different brands front/rear and recently broke his arm.

Makes you think.

orangespyderman

I’ve done it before… but the bike tart in me just wont let me ignore it….

This. Lots.

honourablegeorge

sandwicheater – Member
    Friend runs different brands front/rear and recently broke his arm.

Makes you think.

Too right. You might as well take the orange stickers off your rotors. Crazy attitude to safety.

nickc

I think it would keep me awake at night 😆

RustySpanner

Work up to it gently.

Day one.
    Leave a valve cap off.

Day 2.
    Move a tyre, just one, slightly around the rim, breaking the valve/logo rule.

Day 3.
    Mismatched brands.

Day 4.
    Put your back tyre on the wrong way round.

Day 5.
    Run a front/rear tyre combo the wrong way round.

Day 6.
    Congratulations, you are now free of preconceptions about bicycle tyres.

You’d probably know a lot more about tyres too.
    Might try it myself.
    🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Why does nobody do it more?

My mental wellbeing for one.

I can barely cope with having a couple of Maxxis tyres on if one has a white logo rather than a yellow one.

fasthaggis

I have successfully ridden a bike with two different brands of tyres, yes. Without permission from people on the Internet as well. Go me!

🙂

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member

I can barely cope with having a couple of Maxxis tyres on if one has a white logo rather than a yellow one.

I’ve gotten over the yellow logo. I couldn’t have them on a bike at all for years.

Certainly couldn’t mix them though.

orangespyderman

You might as well take the orange stickers off your rotors. Crazy attitude to safety.

I really hurt my fingers once trying to get them off – you’ve got to time it just right or the rotors really smack as they spin round.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Bad Scienceofficer is running minion front, trail boss rear.

I told my mum about him, but he just doesn’t seem to care. I blame the parents myself.

brakes
    Free Member

Schwalbe Nobby Nic front, Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear. Same brand so all checks out right?
    Wrong.
    The Racing Ralph lettering has an outline to it whereas the Nobby Nic doesn’t.
    Makes my teeth itch.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I only run different branded tyres, a sort of inverse OCD affliction m’lud…

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m sure there was an EU ruling or something outlawing the use of mismatching tyre brands?

Or will Brexit set us free?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I recently purchased a new rear tyre, same brand as the front but it didn’t match the fronts silver band thing around the tread (Schwalbe’s), bugged me a little bit, I would look at the bike and think it doesn’t quite seem right, but I rode it anyway.

And, what happened … the rear tyre exploded in the middle of nowhere. There’s a lesson there children, be careful with mixing your rubbers up!

chakaping
    Free Member

Why does nobody do it more?

You are probably confusing a few fannies on the internet with the cycling public at large.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

So to conclude, if you run different you might find a perfect set up but it will make the bike tarts/OCD riders amongst us fill with anxiety?

I’m not sure I’m any nearer the answer.

SaxonRider

My mental wellbeing for one.

This was me, but circumstance saw me put a Hans Dampf on the front, and a Bontrager somethingorother on the back, and the combination grew on me. I now feel a bit niche when I am on my formerly all uniform, off-the-rack mountain bike.

tenfoot

I used to run Highroller 2 on the front and Mountain King on the back. I found it a decent combination, and it coincided with a lean crash period, so must have been ok.

Trimix
    Free Member

I get upset if my valve caps are not Orange. I lost one once and had to buy one on EBay just so I could ride my bike.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have different wheels never mind tyres, Flow front and WTB rear, makes rides more exciting wondering if I’m going to be struck by lightning.

emac65
    Free Member

Jeez, tyre brands are the least of my worries – I’ve used different branded brakes before now.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I get upset if my valve caps are not Orange. I lost one once and had to buy one on EBay just so I could ride my bike.

Phur! I noticed the other day that bad Scienceofficer doesn’t even use valve caps, his tyre logos were misaligned AND his garden was unkept.

My mum says she doesn’t know why he’s not in prison.

faustus

No qualms about different brands of tyres, performance comes first. The right tyres aren’t always matching ones! If your OCD is at the point where matching colours or types overtakes performance needs, then it’s time to have a word with yourself 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just run maxxis, why? They just work

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No qualms about different brands of tyres, performance comes first

Thankfully for what I do, Maxxis have that covered anyway.

Just reading more, mismatching brakes and wheels???

I think I need to go for a lie down.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

You are probably confusing a few fannies on the internet with the cycling public at large.

I’m sure that is the correct (and my favourite 😆 ) answer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just run maxxis, why? They just work

If only Mark and Lard were still doing the ‘Vague news’…. 😆

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Maxxis front and WTB rear.

Sometimes I don’t cut my grass for weeks and rarely weed the driveway.

Living.The.Dream.

kerley
    Free Member

Why would I need to?

I like Continentals and they have a good enough range to allow me to run different tyres front and rear (size and style). I can get my preferred Protection option in the sizes/styles I need.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Geax front and rear for me. Coz they were cheap. I’d run tractor tyres if they were cheap enough

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Running different branded tyres’ is closed to new replies.