• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Running 650b forks on a 26" rim
  • hora
    Free Member

Secondhand there seems to be more choice now for decent 650b forks whereas 26″ forks are maybe becoming long in the tooth? (I don’t want a wheelsize debate- both are awesome).

Apart from the extra axle to crown height whats the difference?

Ultimately I’d be swapping my 26″ rim for a 650b one but for now are there any downsides? Axle to crown is 554mm which is almost identical to 26″ Marzocchi forks that I also own.

I don’t see a prob? Maybe abit more ‘space’ between the brace/tyre.

cookeaa

YOU WILL DIE!!!*

*(You’ll be fine)…

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a glut of second hand 26 and 29 er forks recently but only a few 650B cropping up, new is another matter, but still seems plenty of choice second hand.

Apart from the possible (depending on make/model) mild increase in A2C height there’s nothing much worry about. I’m sure a few 650B forks are using a different offset now so could be worth paying attention to that but they’ll still work.

hora
    Free Member

20mm difference so about 1degree slacker?

150 Mazz 26″ are c535mm high, 160 Fox 34’s 554mm so no biggy.

maxtorque

650B Pikes with a 26″ rim/tyre:

tbh, with chunky tyres, you can’t really spot the extra length in the fork lowers!

tomaso
    Free Member

Will your downtube have clearance for front wheel when bottoming out forks?

hora
    Free Member

Shirley you’d have more clearance?

The bike does look alot ‘taller’ though- is that a fair comment?

raisinhat
    Free Member

650b forks are (to generalise) slightly longer, but have more offset. So the geometry theory is that you’ll have a slacker head angle but the offset should speed up the handling and “cancel it out”. The end result is a very slightly longer wheelbase. At the end of the day, and talking to people who have done it, you can’t even tell the difference.

Del

if it’s longer in the leg and and shorter in the torso you probably want a large.

of course it looks taller you’ve put a longer fork on it you spaz!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

quality comment

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I think that’s just that bike. I’m also running 650b forks and 26″ wheels:

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i thought you “mazz” were the best forks ever, always state that on pike threads. Fox 34 though – LOL
    #toopoorforpikes

fathomer

Rob & Hora, I think you need to get a room, or a least go for a mince round the Peak together 😀

maxtorque

I think the angle that i took that^^^ photo from of my Zesty makes it look shorter/taller, than it actually is. In the “flesh” so to speak, i don’t think you’d even notice it had a 650B fork on it etc

maxtorque

I was initially slightly concerned the fork lower “hoop” that wraps over the top of the tyre might look silly if it had a load of fresh air under it, but certainly with “Big” 26″ tyres like those HansDampfs it looks fairly normal. With a more XC flavour small volume tyre it might look like a bigger gap, although that means there would be plenty of space for a mud deflector etc! 😉

I also thought that if the front feels too tall, then i’d just fit a 1 deg angle set which would lower the front back to where it came from

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I was initially slightly concerned the fork lower “hoop” that wraps over the top of the tyre might look silly if it had a load of fresh air under it

It just looks like Fox 36s always look, you wouldn’t even question it.

Tracey

Im sure when we were looking for Abigale some new forks that the Slants were marketed as 26″/650b compatable. Think it has a bit more clearance

hora
    Free Member

i thought you “mazz” were the best forks ever, always state that on pike threads. Fox 34 though – LOL
    #toopoorforpikes

I’m not a RS fan. I’m Mazz and Fox regardless.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Running 650b forks on a 26" rim’ is closed to new replies.