Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Rubber Queen Tubeless Woes.
  • Gee76
    Free Member

Hi, I’m currently running a 2.2 Black Chilli Rubber Queen up front on my Stans Crest Hope Hoops. I’ve been tubeless for a while but almost every ride the sidewalls open up and leak. This usually occurs after the sidewalls get a god buffeting on rocky trail sections. With a bit of patience I can re-distribute the fluid inside to stop the leaking and then top up the tyre to continue but it is very tiring and annoying.
    I’ve run tubeless before on Nobby Nics, other Conti’s, Swampys, SB8’s etc with no such problems. I have also stripped down the wheel and re-set it up, ensuring I shook up the fluid plenty beforehand, etc but to no avail!.

I’ve done a bit of a search on this (quickly) and can’t see any other posts, just happy tubeless Rubber Queen Riders I presume.

I wondered if there is something stopping the insides of the tyre coating with the stans fluid maybe (tyre mould release wax maybe!), but I’m not sure!!. Any top tips or experience welcomed on this or should I just presume I got a lemon and send it back??.

Ta for your help in advance.

scaredypants

is it a UST tyre ?

frank4short
    Free Member

Had a similar issue with mine when i first started running them tubeless. Just added a load more sealant, seems to have done the job now.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Some Conti tyres seem to have a lot of release silicon on them from moulding which can stop tubeless fluid sticking to the inside of the tyre. My Mountain King RaceSpec took a while to settle down, I had to add more fluid than I expected and do a lot of wiggling of the wheel while it was held horizontally.

clubber
    Free Member

This happened on my cx tubeless with SB8s in that I just couldn’t get them to seal properly so that they’d lose significant pressure in a couple of hours – on the suggestion of SSStu I gave them a very good clean out with meths and after that they sealed nicely (until I ripped the sidewall at HONC 🙁 )

lucien

I’m runnin RQ 2.2’s and 2.4’s (ST’s) on ZTR flows, and they seal excellently well, as per previous posts are they UST tyres?

fivespot
    Free Member

I had the same fun with my 1st pair of 2.2 RQ’s about a year ago(Black Chilli none UST). They would blow up fine, then a pin hole would blow where the sidewall and tread meat. Happened many times , but eventually sealed. However, my second recent set, which have noticeably firmer sidewalls and weigh 50-60g more (still none UST) gave far fewer problems. I think Conti have listened to early complaints about weak sidewalls, and made a noticeable improvement.

I am currently considering Bonty XR4 2.2 teams instead of my older Rubber Queens (nearly half the price). Anybody had experience of both ?

Kahurangi

I concur with most of the above comments.

I installed my BC RQ 2.2 and found the same issue. There were LOADS of tiny pinprick holes all over the side walls. With sealant it went up and held air, but as it was for a holiday I decided I’d be better off with the UST (non BC) RQ 2.2.

Gee76
    Free Member

Wow lots of replies, thanks for the tips and sorry for not responding so quick. Went out for a good blast up Rivi after work last night with the weather being so good.

The RQ’s are non UST (UST is far too heavy for me!) and as I feared the hissing continued last night requiring a couple of top ups. I seem to be getting paranoid and can even hear hissing even when I’m not on the bike!!.

The mould wax/silicone suggestions seem to make sense as the tyre does have a slightly slippy/waxy touch to it. Plus sometimes I’m sure that as I pick up and rotate the wheel & tyre it dislodges some sealant and opens up a hole as if the sealant is barely sticking. Will give it a clean up and top up again and see how she goes.

Hope it works as it is a good front tyre for me, (weight and grip wise)makes me wonder if the new Mountain King BC’s would be any good too. Although I have read they come up a lot smaller then RQ’s.

lucien

MK’s do come up much smaller and no way near as grippy – I’ve got a RQ front and MK rear and am thinking of changing as I can’t seem to get the required level of grip on the MK when under heavy braking, so rear end snakes all over the place

dave360

UST Rubber Queen + UST rims = perfection. No leaks, no punctures in oo… a gazillion rad to the max miles.

MrSmith
    Free Member

same issues as above but add more sealant and persevere.the bead seals well it’s just the sidewalls. worth the hassle though as they are great tyres

Gee76
    Free Member

Cool, will keep trying as i like the rq a fair bit and it seems to be lasting well. Wanted to run one on my hardtail too so fingers cossed.

Shame the mk’s might not b as good. I presume it is the new mk2 bc?
    Maybe they should do lighter 2.0 or 2.1 rq, it’d prob come up at 2.3 in any other tyre. Although sb8 is woking out ok on the back at the mo to be fair.

Gee76
    Free Member

Cool, will keep trying as i like the rq a fair bit and it seems to be lasting well. Wanted to run one on my hardtail too so fingers cossed.

Shame the mk’s might not b as good. I presume it is the new mk2 bc?
    Maybe they should do lighter 2.0 or 2.1 rq, it’d prob come up at 2.3 in any other tyre. Although sb8 is woking out ok on the back at the mo to be fair.

lucien

“I presume it is the new mk2 bc?” – nope old style ones, haven’t tried the new ones

Mister-P
    Free Member

The new Mtn King II are in a different league to the original tread pattern. I have the 2.2 RaceSpec Black Chilli version and they are pretty darn good.

Gee76
    Free Member

Ahh I see, I had the old ones until it decided to part company with the bead and even Moab slickrock seemed to give it a bit of trouble in the grip department (relative to friend MAxis and Hutchinson tyres)which is saying something!!!.

Mister P how do the Mtn Kin 2’s come up in a 2.2 width, similar to Rubber Queens maybe? or narrower like a high roller, nobby nic?

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Hey there Gee76, have you managed to seal your RQ’s yet?

I was thinking of getting a pair of non-UST RQ’s until I read this thread! (I’ve got the same wheels as yourself and have previously had similar probs with another tyre/wheel combo – so I know what a PIA it can be)

Gee76
    Free Member

hi there, running sb8’s on the rear with crests at the mo no probs. Just degreased, scrubed and lightly abraided my front rq tonight for trip to lakes on sat’d so will report back. Put a bit of extra stans latex in too which has helped em seal better so far. Fingers crossed.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Nice one. Have a good time in the Lakes – & hope the tyre stays up OK! Be interested to hear how you get on. Cheers.

Gee76
    Free Member

Well today was pretty perfect for riding, we ended up doing the borrowdale bash. Plenty of rock in places which has previously slashed my nobby nics. The good news was it was sunny and my ngear jumpstop worked a treat. The bad… I ended up with helmet vent pattern suntan, got a fat wrist fallin on the same climb i fell on first time i did this route, see bog trotters web site for pic of my 1st fall, oh and my tyre went down again. It seemed to seal very well but any sidewall buffetting and it started to hiss. I am hopeful a bit more patience may see it settle down but may even drop continental a mail as it startin to cost an arm n leg in stans fluid and mini pump wear, not to mention lost friends. At this rate there will no probs stoppin to put down me seatpost for me so no chance justifying a reverb.

gamo
    Free Member

I run black chilli folding rubber queens on flows and never had an issue!

Northwind

It took a very long time for mine to seal yp but they never gave me any hassle once they were up- I was worried they’d be flimsy but didn’t seem to bear that out, they’re just incredibly porous. I didn’t actually like them very much mind.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mine were a total arse to sort out as tubeless too. They took all the tricks in the tubeless bodgers handbook to get inflated and then they behaved as though they had slow.punctures for the next two rides. After that I laid them on top of a bucket for 24 hours per side at 40 psi and they’ve been dine ever since.

oscarlee
    Free Member

continental tried to kill me ,

Gee76
    Free Member

The inflating part isn’t too bad really, plus I have compressor to get em going. Done the laying on the side thing overnight but may try just leaving em like that for a bit longer to build up the layer of dried on stans on the sidewalls.

As said they just seem very porous, maybe I got a super porous one. Fingers n toes crossed, gonna go give em another go in a few mins if me hand is healed a bit!.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

One of mine was substantially more porus than the other actually, but with flows and yellow tape, my compressor (with reservoir) still couldn’t do it, I had to do the old inner-tube-to-seat-the-beads trick.

I really like them though, so I’m prepared to persist.

Gee76
    Free Member

Further Update…. 3 hr ride this am up Rivi. Things started ok with a good 2 hrs riding n no problems. However afer a bit of buffeting on a couple of rocky descents it was hiss city again.

Looks like a few days rest on either side is due for my front wheel to let this stans set a bit better. Doh!!!. The quest continues…..

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Hmm…er, glad I asked how you were doing with ’em 😯 TBH, I have had similar(ish) problems with other brands, but then I’m a bit of a cheapskate who re-uses skanky old worn(non-tubeless) tyres that have lying around the shed for years. Have had some v.porous brand new Kendas tho.

From what’s been said, I think I’ll put up with the extra weight and try the UST version. Cheers and good luck fixing the leaks!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Hi Gee, sorry missed your question due to being onholiday. The Mtn King 2.2 is smaller than the RQ 2.2

I did have a picture of my MKs somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

UST Rubber Queen + UST rims = perfection. No leaks, no punctures in oo… a gazillion rad to the max miles.

+1

Also got the new 2.4 X-King. Run with tubes it seems very rad and I’ve been assured that the Protection model (which I have) has a UST bead – watch this space.

Gee76
    Free Member

Cheers Mr P, be keen to see how the MKs come up.

Be nice if some of the protection versions of conti tyres do some with a UST bead, maybe the 4 ply sidewalls are a bit less porous too.

As an update on the RQ, I set it on its side (albeit in the bike bag so not perfectly flat) over a coupla nights since last ride, blown upto 40psi for some of the time too.
    Tonights Ride up at farleton knott (near lakes) went ok ish. Ran the tyres prob at about 35 psi (assuming a bit of overnight loss of pressure) and all seemed ok…. Until I touched the tyre to put the wheel on, then first hiss. Although it did seal in a few seconds.

Some rocky riding ensued and noticed the tyres hissed a bit. However the extra pressure meant at least I finished the ride without having to do any pumping. They prob around 20psi now tho.

Anyway blown em up to 40 psi and put em perfectly flat this time to let the sidewalls wet a bit more… the trial goes on…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Rubber Queen Tubeless Woes.’ is closed to new replies.