Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Roy Harper………..
  • Reluctant
    Free Member
    jekkyl

hmmmm, not very nice, perhaps just one of those days in england….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I suspect it will end with due legal process being followed.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Influenced Led Zeppelin”…

Fluff66
    Free Member

That is very sad to hear 🙁

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Been a big fan of Roy but the following lyrics always disturbed me –
    “Forbidden Fruit”
    Baby, won’t you play with me ?
    Games that no one else can see ?
    Leanin’ over out my window
    Flashing me a mini flower show

Steal away from mummy, oh there’s my little girl
    On the pillow of my tummy give my hair a curl
    Run your fingers under and over, make us a little pool
    And don’t forget about tomorrow in the same place after school.

Baby, make me calm your fears
    Let me hold your thirteen years
    In between the silky, love me
    Race my heart and let ……….

Oh baby I can feel you, see my thunderburst
    Melting us together in the plains of magic thirst
    We can be forever and ever, watching the water fall
    Floating in the lake of all peace after love and after all.

We can be forever and ever, watching the water fall
    Floating in the lake of all peace after love and after all.

khani
    Free Member

😯

jekkyl

This could go very badly for him. I can imagine the daily mail will have a field day as there are many drug references in loads of his songs. + lots of anecdotal evidence of him openly smoking joints on stage at his gigs.

khani
    Free Member

Having a spliff doesn’t make you a peadophile, but those lyrics might hang him…

Sandwich

The repeats of Top of the Pops on one of the cable channels are becoming an interesting thing. I reckon some of the presenters may well be sweating on a Yewtree visit.(Annie Nightingale and Janice Long excepted).

DezB
    Free Member

but those lyrics might hang him.

Maybe they are what sparked the investigation…

Next in line – Brotherhood of Man

jekkyl

@khani..I wasn’t saying that (I’m pretty sure you knew I wasn’t) it would just be another nail in the story if he gets found guilty, you can imagine….

‘Drug-taking peadophile Roy Harper claims lyrics in Forbidden Fruit were made up and not inspired by real events’

The dates match up though, Valentine was released in ’74 and the offences are alleged to have been committed in Herefordshire between 1975 and 1977.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

those lyrics might hang him.

Crikey indeed! I stand by my comment re due legal process, but if that crops up as ‘evidence’ or some sort of statement, then he’s in a deep pile of it.

khani
    Free Member

I think there’s a long line of celebrity’s from the sixties and seventies quaking in their boots absolutely shitting themselves right about now..

binners

Oh God! Not Harper!

Saw him live loads of times many, moons ago when you could still smoke in venues. He chain smoked spliffs throughout every gig. As did the audience. His gigs were great, as he spent half the time singing, and half the time regaling everyone with amusing anecdotes, while he had a smoke. They went on for hours!

jekkyl

I’ve been to see him 3 times live, part of the appeal of the gigs is that you knew you could puff away. Fantastic gigs, bit of a story, bit of chat and then a song then more chatting. Great times. Been to see Nick as well a couple fo times, his gigs were always dirt cheap to get into.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Last time I saw Roy Harper was at Glastonbury in 1981, just prior to going on stage myself. He was fighting onstage, in front of the afternoon audience, with Ginger Baker because he was overrunning and Ginge (himself not what you’d call a charmer) was setting his drums up behind the tardy Mr Harper.

Laugh? We nearly went to Basingstoke. Peace and Love, maaaaaaaaaan…

jekkyl

you played with Ginger Baker Woppit? we have famous people on stw? Kewl!

this from a hawkwind website:

Roy Harper put it thus ‘Later I’m playing the gig, going down quite well, building up to the finale. Then Ginger starts walking on with drums, setting up right in front of me, destroying everything. I couldn’t believe it. So I left the microphone and said ‘Hey, what you doing?’ And he said, ‘F— off, you’ve been on here too f—ing long, you c—‘ and his band started bringing all their gear on.

‘So I started to seethe, nudged one of his drums with my left foot and he lunged at me. I just burst, turned round and gave him one right in the guts. Ginger goes, ‘Urrgghh you c—-.’ Then we were fighting and the stage was full of people. I completely flipped my lid.’ ‘

There we were at a festival dedicated to peace and love man and I hit someone. He may have been the thickest idiot at the festival but I’d actually hit him. After that I was filled with frantic remorse and basically just wanted to hit everyone, everything I could lay my bloody hands on.’ ‘So they got hold of my arms and carried me off, looking like I’m ripe for Broadmore, wearing this human straightjacket, screaming ‘You f—ing bastards. ‘I’d lost it altogether, I was fighting f—ing mad.’

According to Harper the crowd then proceeded to bottle Ginger , one hitting him on the head , whereupon he was taken to hospital . Another source says that Ginger carried on playing .Yet another source says that Ginger threw a can at Harper and it hit him on the head.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Lyrics are just lyrics and mean nothing. How many of those shouty arm waving/posturing types who do that talking over music thing where they try to use 2 words that sound the same to describe how they kill policemen, defile their womenfolk, build an illegal narcotics empire actually commit those heinous crimes?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

shouty arm waving/posturing types who do that talking over music thing where they try to use 2 words that sound the same

MrWoppit
    Free Member

you played with Ginger Baker Woppit?

Not quite – The Baker was not one to put up with competition…

https://www.facebook.com/AdrianBorlandDocumentary?fref=ts

failedengineer

Mr woppit – were you in Ginger baker’s band?!

failedengineer

I don’t hsve a Facebook account. Care to summarise?

jekkyl

you said you were about to play on stage, ginger baker was on after Roy Harper, ergo you were in Gingers band? I’m at work and can’t log on FB at work and I need the answer NOW goddam it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

http://www.brittleheaven.com/

Ungrammatical license. For “prior to”, read “later”… 😳

cooie

He was in The Sound.

DezB
    Free Member

They were on after Roy Harper.

jekkyl

Sorry to read about 2 of your band mates untimely death MrWoppit. My condolences.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, thanks. Don’t want to hijack the thread though.

RustySpanner

That’s a lovely, very moving piece about Adrian Borland on the website Woppit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lyrics are just lyrics and mean nothing

Thanks for that for years i had been under the impression lou reed actually did heroin who knew it meant nothing

it really depends doesnt it. I doubt bowie went to space but he may well have been only dancing.

as for harper gutted if true – and it does not look good as i love his work.
    Not sure if mr smith is familiar with his work but he is not a gangsta rapper.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Thanks for that

No problem, happy to help.

.Not sure if mr smith is familiar with his work but he is not a gangsta rapper.

Norwich riverside bar around 92 think he had just released death or glory after he split with his partner, he didn’t smoke and I remember him commenting on somebody being thrown out for ‘lighting up’ with “what do you expect? It’s not the 60’s anymore”

grum
    Free Member

If we’re going to start rounding people up on the basis of lyrics I suggest a knock for Gary Puckett and The Union Gap.

Young girl, get out of my mind
    My love for you is way out of line
    Better run, girl
    You’re much too young, girl

With all the charms of a woman
    You’ve kept the secret of your youth
    You led me to believe
    You’re old enough to give me Love
    And now it hurts to know the truth, oh

Better run, girl

Beneath your perfume and make-up
    You’re just a baby in disguise
    And though you know
    That it is wrong to be alone with me
    That come on look is in your eyes, oh

Better run, girl

So hurry home to your mama
    I’m sure she wonders where you are
    Get out of here before I have the time
    To change my mind
    ‘Cause I’m afraid we’ll go too far, oh

Better run, girl

Better run, girl

By the way – not all rap is gangsta rap, believe it or not.

Junkyard
    Free Member

true dat blood, some of it just misogynist 😉

teasel
    Free Member

That Gary Puckett song is one that springs to mind for me, too. I guess, if you’re getting analytical about it, you could argue that he is at least aware he has this problem and is giving her a chance to leg it.

But all this head-drooping is foolish – what he’s been accused of in no way detracts from what he is as a musician (if you’re into his style, of course), it merely reinforces the multifaceted reality of being human.

I wrote this. I’m not religious but used the word god for rhyme and reason – feel free to replace it with Dodd or something similar if it offends…

There are many doorways, nooks and chinks
    That lead to the paths to god
    Some are darker than you may think
    Yet still they must be trod

MrSmith
    Free Member

chinks Some are darker than you may think

ban this racist.
    🙄

teasel
    Free Member

I’m not racist; I have quite a few friends that eat Chinese food…

CountZero

I’m not racist; I have quite a few friends that eat Chinese food…

Ha! Apropos of nothing, my then g/f and I were late arriving at a friend’s wedding reception, having taken the wrong turning south instead of North on the M5. On arriving, a mate piped up, ‘where did you get to, stop off for a chinky?’, being somewhat flustered, we just looked at him, at which point he realised what he’d said, and went on ‘or, or, an Indian, or Italian…’
    Kim’s half Chinese, you see… 😆
    In her family it was considered perfectly fine to ask if anyone wanted a chinky or a curry… 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Roy Harper………..’ is closed to new replies.