Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Routes around bottom end of White peak……….
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Staying near Dovedale with friends over Easter and looking to escape the madness for a few hours. Anything decent around here? Searched all the usual websites for routes and cant find much. Might have to travel a bit to find something.
    Any offers…?

simon1975

Yeah you won’t be close to much good stuff. I’d be thinking of driving to Longnor/Buxton, or Chelmorton/Miller’s Dale or towards Matlock/Cromford for better trails.

jekkyl

Well you’ve got Carsington water for a quick blast and you could follow the Sustrans track up the hill to the High Peak trail from there, go along there a bit and and back again, could probably route out a nice scenic ride. Or for a lot more tech but 30 mins drive to

Bakewell: https://www.justgoride.co.uk/routes/26327

Youlgreave or DarleyDale: https://www.justgoride.co.uk/routes/27772

The Bakewell route is a lot more techy than the 5 dales, there is virtually no tech on the 5 dales route but it is a very nice ride.

Also if you’re up and about early and don’t mind a bit of cheek I’ve always fancied over Thorpe Cloud would be an interesting ride & the river path.
    Probably about an hour to Cannock or an hours drive to Castleton/Hope for some dark peak action, which would probably be my preference. How long will you have?

BFITH
    Free Member

How long will you have?

Probably wont get away with more than a morning…. but I’m an early riser so a bit of travel wont be out of the question.
    Never been to Cannock – how long does it take to get round there?

the-muffin-man

Never been to Cannock – how long does it take to get round there?

From Dovedale – easily an 1hr 15min, maybe more if traffic is an issue. It’ll be a day-out.

Much quicker to drive to Ladybower.

Depends what you call ‘good stuff’ – if you mean gnaar! you’ll be disappointed. If you want a few hours ride in nice countryside there is loads in that area.

jekkyl

if you have a morning then get up nice n early and do the bakewell route iiwy, without any people the Monsall traill will be a joy and your heart will sore with the scenery as you get up to the Quarry after the first climb before swooping down coombs dale.

simon1975

Much quicker to drive to Ladybower.

Errr, I’d check that before you set off in the car 😉

BFITH
    Free Member

Bakewell route a possibility.. not far away at all really, especially if:

my heart will sore

😀

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

BFITH – will be in Tissington Easter weekend was planning on following Jekkyl’s route he kindly provided earlier on if you want to pootle together 🙂

Of course will take some coordinating as we haven’t yet planned anything specific yet for the time we are there so will need to fit it around the family but an early morning start seems ideal

jekkyl

Oh christ, the pressure’s on. 😕
    here’s some of what you can expect.
    coombs dale: : you like speed and jumps?
    [video]https://youtu.be/K9ybRYIJSNM[/video]
    drop into stoney middleton:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adfVXJIrEM0[/video]

& a belter to finish: bakewell golf course: [video]https://youtu.be/G8_7Cdslcdk[/video]

mildbore

Bakewell golf course has logs across it apparently, be careful. Check @kofthep for updates if you’re on twitter

BFITH
    Free Member

BFITH – will be in Tissington Easter weekend was planning on following Jekkyl’s route he kindly provided earlier on if you want to pootle together

Probably wont be over the Easter weekend – more likely to be Tues/Weds after Easter……….

iain1775
    Free Member

Never been to Cannock

No offence to Cannock but even the quietest parts of the White Peak are better than driving over an hour to an overcrowded bankholiday weekend Cannock and there is plenty of great stuff closer to Dovedale than Cannock

Ambergate is 45 mins from Dovedale and the riding round there is cheeky but excellent – Black Rocks, Crich, Shining Cliff etc
    You may need a local to tell you where to go

Ladybower is an hour, but probably a fair bit longer if you have to get through Bakewell of a bank holiday weekend (so just do the Bakewell loop instead)

Macclesfield Forest is about 45mins away (will go along quiet minor roads on the whole so not likely to be too much traffic delays en-route)and generally doesn’t seem to get the same amount of bank holiday visitors as other areas of the Peak

5 Dales loop is a nice ride, and plenty of other stuff in that area if you google or Strava heatmap it

The vids above are probably the best of what is ‘legally’ around

BFITH
    Free Member

Update…. did the Bakewell to Eyam route last thursday (many thanks to Jekkyl!).
    Brilliant little route (not that little really – 19 miles is a bit over my usual!). Loved the descent down the valley (just after the quarry) and the descents from Eyam down to Stoney Middleton (second section nearly had me off!).
    Thanks again – would definitely recommend if you’re in the area 😀

jekkyl

😀
    Glad you had a good time mate. There is a bit of climbing involved but well worth it. Did you get lost at all or was the route okay to follow?

BFITH
    Free Member

There is a bit of climbing involved but well worth it. Did you get lost at all or was the route okay to follow?

Yes.. a good bit of climbing but fairly steady away.
    Didnt get lost at all… plotted route on strava before I set off 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Routes around bottom end of White peak……….’ is closed to new replies.