Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rounded off bolt on M595 brakes lever reservoir cap – how to remove?
  • MrTall
    Free Member

Went to bleed my rear brake last night to find that one of the two screws holding the reservoir cap on has been rounded off and i can’t get any movement into it.

The philips bolt is recessed so i can’t cut into it with a hacksaw and there is not enough room to get any pliers etc around it. My LBS were stumped as well. I also lost some fluid when faffing with it so can’t use the brake at the moment.

Any ideas how to remove it and where would i find a replacement screw?

I could buy a replacement lever for £25 in the worst case scenario but would obviously rather just get the screw out.

IamSam
    Free Member

If it was me. 🙂

Drill into the screw head then force a torx into it. worst case you balls up the lever and if your already thinking about a new one nowt to loose.

jimc101
    Free Member

The easiest thing to do is to order a new lid unit, this comes with new screws and diaphram, your LBS should have a Madison account, and will be able to tell is this is in stock with them

Order Shimano part Y8UW98010 Lid unit, when you have this

Take the screw out which isn’t rounded out, then break off the reservoir cap, once the cap is broken off, use a pair of pliers to grip onto and undo the rounded out screw.

Fit replacement lid unit, bleed and go ride!

I did this process with a M775 brake lever when I rounded out a screw, works fine now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’d do that ^^^

I’d avoid drilling and cutting things, as if you accidentally loose a bit of swarf inside the reservoir then it could do a nastyness.

MrTall
    Free Member

Right,

cheers for the above info but i’ve just managed to chisel the screw out with minimal damage to the lid so i could just do with a new screw for it.

My LBS couldn’t find that part on the Madison website but i’m guessing that i can’t just buy a spare set of screws?

Any ideas of where i can get a spare tiny screw with the captured washer for it?

I’ve just sawn a new groove into it as i can get to it now but i don’t have a huge amount of faith that it’ll last much longer.

coatesy
    Free Member

Try an engineers suppliers or a model shop.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

to find that one of the two screws holding the reservoir cap on has been rounded off

Loving the use of the passive tense here. (i did the same this week)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rounded off bolt on M595 brakes lever reservoir cap – how to remove?’ is closed to new replies.