Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Round the world
  • ratherbeintobago

Have we done Mark Beaumont trying to do RTW in 80 days?

milleboy
    Free Member

Just been on the BBC. 240 miles a day, for 80 days.

ratherbeintobago

Some going, that. Sounds like the rules have changed so it can be done with a support crew, too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Some going, that. Sounds like the rules have changed so it can be done with a support crew, too.

Meh, for me that takes far too much out of the adventure.

tails
    Free Member

Good luck to him, sounds savage I struggled with 30mikes a day for a week

legend
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member
    Meh, for me that takes far too much out of the adventure.

Best not to think of it that way. RTW is an adventure, RTW in a set time is an endurance test

damascus
    Free Member

This time it is Tour De France-style. I have a support team behind me and it is just about performance. That makes a huge difference.”

He will be supported by a team including a mechanic, nutritionist, physiotherapist and manager.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39479386

I’m guessing there will also be a film crew and it will be on the BBC later this year.

As mcmoonter says, not as impressive as self supported and self filmed like he did last time but still far better than cycling round a flat park in florida for a year.

convert

Trying to work out if this is a poorly timed announcement a few days after poor Mike Hall’s death, Britian’s other great global ultra cyclist, or great testament to the indomitable spirit of pressing on for these hard as a nails heroes to many.

steve_b77
    Free Member

He’s done the adventuring, it’s probably time for the next challenge. If he pulls it off it’ll be massively impressive.

ratherbeintobago

Trying to work out if this is a poorly timed announcement a few days after poor Mike Hall’s death, Britian’s other great global ultra cyclist,

Not sure you can conclude this; Beaumont was on the TV this morning discussing the build up to this, which doesn’t sound like it’s from a standing start, and Mike as well.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve been a fan of Mark Beaumont ever since he broke the for circumnavigating the globe the first time. Now he wants to do it in 80 days, by spending 16 hours a day in the saddle. Every day. For 11 1/2 weeks. Unbelievable!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/03/british-athlete-mark-beaumont-cycle-around-the-world-in-80-days

shermer75
    Free Member

Trying to work out if this is a poorly timed announcement a few days after poor Mike Hall’s death, Britian’s other great global ultra cyclist, or great testament to the indomitable spirit of pressing on for these hard as a nails heroes to many.

Addressed in the Guardian article. Yes, unfortunate timing, Mike Hall’s death was a very tragic event that was felt by a very large number of people I think. However as above I suspect the Mark Beaumont expedition has been a looong time in the planning…

franksinatra

rying to work out if this is a poorly timed announcement a few days after poor Mike Hall’s death, Britian’s other great global ultra cyclist, or great testament to the indomitable spirit of pressing on for these hard as a nails heroes to many.

What would Mike Hall want Mark to do right now? He’s want him to go out and smash it.

convert

However as above I suspect the Mark Beaumont expedition has been a looong time in the planning…

Absolutely. You don’t get to have an idea like that at the weekend and get yourself on breakfast telly on the Monday morning. Just wondering if the TV interviews and press articles could have been put off a week or three. Or not….maybe it’s good and in the spirit of these adventurers. Man down – big push by the rest to do the guy’s memory justice.

zinaru
    Free Member

i do lots of work with a sponsor of marks. he’s an impressive guy and cyclist but is an incredible planner as well. this has been worked on for quite some time.

i think even with support, this is a very tough one. i wish him all the best…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is MB fit enough to do this?

His time for the NW 500 suggests not…

greentricky
    Free Member

I follow Mark on facebook and strava, he has been teasing this since Christmas and that an announcement was coming soon and several weeks ago announced he would be unveiling what he was training for at the start of April so its been a good while in the works and his training looks to be going well. Assume he is using his lap around the UK to ride himself into form and finalise bike and equipment.

Dickyboy

Was sworn to secrecy about this a few months back, so yes been in planning a while now – not my cup of tea but fair play to mark for giving it a go and clearly he reckons he can do it

poolman
    Free Member

Wow 240 a day is a lot. Most i have ever done is 200 and that was 18 hours cycling, no way i could do that a few days in succession. I was fully loaded up with camping stuff though, and no support.

Good luck to him, i enjoyed his book when he broke the record.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I think he’s about to cycle around the UK for training..

STATO
    Free Member

Went to a talk by him in November and he said he had a plan for 2017 but wasnt ready to reveal. He is much more focused on the ‘whats possible’ aspect of things now than the adventure. When he first did it he only went as it seemed possible to beat the old record, which he did. He clearly thinks he can do this, chapeau.

atlaz
    Free Member

91 days unsupported for Mike Hall so approx 200 miles a day. Kristof Allegaert was doing something like an average of 240 miles a day on the IndiPac but on very little sleep.

Is it possible to maintain IndiPac pace on better sleep levels supported or even on the same sleep levels for 80 days?

legend
    Free Member

240 miles a day doesn’t take into account time at border crossings. He might make it through ok but always a good chance of the support crew getting held up, and if they get held up for a considerable amount of time things will get very interesting for him!

damascus
    Free Member

3 years in the planning, I’m guessing his boarder crossing and visas have all been worked out.

takisawa2

Tommy Godwin did several 300 mile days when he set the year record in 1939.

takisawa2

Tommy Godwin did several 300 mile days when he set the year record in 1939.

legend
    Free Member

damascus – Member
    3 years in the planning, I’m guessing his boarder crossing and visas have all been worked out.

Doesn’t work that way though. Yes they’ll know which borders and which crossings and they’ll have all the paperwork sorted, but actually getting through can’t really be planned (have a watch [or even better read] of The Long Way to see what I mean)

hofnar
    Free Member

supersessions9-2
    Free Member
    cloudnine
    Free Member

You can dot watch mark on his round britain trip here
    http://www.artemisworldcycle.com/live-update/

He’s riding some awfully busy A roads..

TheBrick
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    Tommy Godwin did several 300 mile days when he set the year record in 1939

And stephen abraham has tried to beat (with support being people offering to put him up for the night, do laundry and have it ready for when he passes his flat ) but was knocked off by some **** on a scooter.

Slightly different as he stays in the UK, but it shows that 240 miles per day for 80 days definitely possible for a quality long distance cyclist with support.

STATO
    Free Member

He’s riding some awfully busy A roads..

With a motorhome on his back wheel (at least some of the time), so he is pretty safe from other road users.

ransos
    Free Member

What would Mike Hall want Mark to do right now? He’s want him to go out and smash it.

Agreed.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Round the world’ is closed to new replies.