• This topic has 76 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • rooting an HTC desire (low storage space issue)
  • DrP

I’ve had a look on Android forums, but I find the advice here more understandable (really!).

I’ve a desire (not on any network) that probably needs rooting as I’ve no internal storage left, yet the sd has bucket loads!

I understand you root it, THEN install the OS?
    To those who have done it, could you give me some advice and point me in the direction if what you used?
    I really like sense, so can I keep that going? And will I need to reinstall all the apps etc?

Cheers,

DrP

chrischennell
    Free Member

Presumably you’ve moved all the apps that you can to the sd card and installed apps2sd to move the more stubborn ones?

Bez

Also, if you unlink all non-Google accounts from your contacts, clear data from contacts storage, reboot to resync, you will save a lot. Provided, of course, that your contacts storage is currently large. Mine went from over 30MB to 1MB.

DrP

Only 6mb of contacts, and ‘none’ left to move with a2sd!
    Cache cleared.
    Running out of options! I love the phone, just this storage issue is p’ing me off!
    DrP

Bimbler
    Free Member

I used the unREVOked guide here.

It seems daunting but once you’re actually doing it it really isn’t all that difficult.

Cougar

Unrevoked only works on certain revisions (it did on mine).

I did a quick overview of what I did a few days ago. Hold the line please, caller.

Cougar

Here, read through this.

DrP

Ta! Will have a read then crack on over Christmas!

DrP

DrP

Right…..rooting in progress as I type…I hope little P doesn’t burst in and unplug everything!

Will try a new ROM later today!

DrP

DrP

That was painless…. (using Unrevoked method).
    Now backing m’shite up (SD card copy, Titanium etc) then will scrub the memory, partition SD, and install a ROM

GEEK ALERT – GEEK ALERT

DrP

motivforz
    Free Member

this thread reminded me (alongside low memory notifications) to root my phone. Now been running cyanogen mod for 3 days, pretty happy with it. Titanium back up makes the job infinitely easier, just restores pretty much all old apps and data painlessly.

dobo
    Free Member

can i do this sort of thing with a htc wildfire?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

stoner looking at your unrevoked guide it says that the software must be version 415 mine is 405, any ideas what to do?

Cougar

Dobo – see the first two posts here – http://androidforums.com/wildfire-all-things-root/

rob-jackson
    Free Member

right – am on the verge of “root access”

what comes next?

DrP

I’m looking to put the ROM cougar pointed to in his thread. Not sure which version I want though-essentially it’s all about app2sd in the room, so needed to format sd card…

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Root access is sorted.
    Now doing a titanium back up – do i then copy this to the laptop?

After that i format and partition the sd card don’t i?

whats next? struggling here

DrP

Blind leading the blind!
    I’ve done a ti backup-will copy all my as card data to hard drive, wipe card, position it, then install new ROM…..
    Prob be a right ballache, but hopefully worth it in the end!

what ROM are you using?

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not sure yet, having probs making partitions!!

dobo
    Free Member

watches with anticipation.. 😯

rob-jackson
    Free Member

AFAIK i have:
    rooted
    ti backup
    nandroid back up
    partitioned sd card

DrP

does nandroid backup to the SD card? Do you then copy THAT onto a PC?
    And how did you partition the SD?
    are you s-on or s-off? AFAIK, i’ll need s-off to partition and use app2sd ROMS, but I’m s-on…. eek…!

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

nandroid does i think and then copy onto computer

DrP

how did you partition the SD? did you format it first, then partition?

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

used rom manager to partition, backup, and install new rom, waiting for it to boot up now (10-20 minutes)

Bimbler
    Free Member

Partioning the sd was the only issue I had really, Rom manager wouldn’t work, I downloaded a free windows utility, which didn’t work at all despite reporting success, annoying. Ended up using the gparted tool in an ubuntu machine I had access to.

Definitely try to s-off it, I didn’t when I rooted mine wish I had when it was the task in hand.

scaredypants

you can partition an SD using clockworkmod (which is AKA (I think, sort of) rom manager) – should be an option in one of the lists

(I don’t have an HTC phone though)

DrP

i see…how does one s-off then?!

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not convinced this has worked 🙁
    White screen with green HTC on it – about 15 minutes like that since reboot

Flaperon

cruzheckler – should be 5 minutes absolute maximum.

Restart into ClockworkMod recovery (some key combination) and do a full wipe from in there. Try a restart, and if that doesn’t work, reflash the firmware from within CWM recovery.

Edit: If the flash completed successfully you won’t cause any harm pulling the battery at this point.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

and restart normally or into clockworkmod?

Bimbler
    Free Member

i see…how does one s-off then?!

DrP

Something called Revolutionary.

not convinced this has worked
    White screen with green HTC on it – about 15 minutes like that since reboot

Reboot takes ages.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

currently re-installing the rom, see what happens. How long is “ages”?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Ages, about 10-15 minutes, not a long time really but an age when staring at a white screen, as you’ll know.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

5 mins so far

rob-jackson
    Free Member

9 now and white screen with green htc

DrP

Right – s-off, ROM on SD – I haven’t cleared everything yet – will it do it when I install the ROM??

DrP

DrP

It’s rolling……

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘rooting an HTC desire (low storage space issue)’ is closed to new replies.