Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roof woes – please make me feel better
  • jabbathehut
    Free Member

I work away a lot of the time, recently we have been having bad damp in 2 of our flats bedrooms but my wife and i just assumed the flat was prone to it as out neighbours get it as well. Anyway we had a joiner in to build and fit some built-in wardrobes for us and he informed us we had a problem with our roof and we had pretty bad water damage in the wood and we could be looking at anywhere between 1000 and 15,000 to fix the problem.

We then had a family friend who is a builder have a look and he confirmed that the joiner was'nt exagerrating.We are now in the process of getting quotes from roofers.

So im now trying to get my head round where the hell im going to get that sort of money from as the insurance are not having any of it. They said its down to us to maintain our property, which im not disputing BTW.

It could be worse as at least i have a job and my bikes hav'nt been nicked yet 8O.

Anyhoo as its a 2 bed flat and we own the attic space it falls well and truly on my shoulders to sort it. 😕

WINNER 😛

alpin
    Free Member

get it fixed and then convert to a cannabis factory for a few months. should cover the costs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Increase the mortgage? Pester the insurance company?

Make yourself feel better by checking the size of my compulsory repair bill – £80 000 – £150 000 that I have to find

metalheart
    Free Member

Normally the roof is shared so costs should be split.

jabbathehut
    Free Member

Holy sh$t TJ that puts my probs in perspective. What is costing u that much. Oh and adding to the mortgage means over the long term i will be paying at least double that for the privelidge. Id rather give up a holiday and tighten the belts this year than playing mortgage roulette

Metalheart the attic is our property in the same way if we convert it it belongs to us. So its our problem unfortunatelly

5thElefant
    Free Member

Take 2 weeks off work and do it yourself. Smacking up a few new rafters and sticking some felt and tiles up isn't exactly complicated.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

major stonework / roof repair on a listed building under statutory notice. even the minimum is the best part of 3 yrs earnings for both of us. 🙂

Needless to say it will be going on the mortgage

Kahurangi

At least you two have a roof over your head and four walls around you.

oh wait…

sorry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roof woes – please make me feel better’ is closed to new replies.