Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Roll your own rim* FAIL-A-GEDDON CONTENT
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

So I had (1) a 29er rim, a load of random spokes and a hub (2) a desire to try 650B+ (3) the tight-fistedness only surpassed by a Yorkshireman and (4) lots of free time alone like all Big Hitters.

So I cut the rim down, re joined it with araldite, laced it in a ****ed up pattern, and it’s come out OK.

*no rolling actually occurred. Just waiting on druidh lending me a tyre

VID_20160302_220213688

LoCo
    Free Member

You don’t need us to tell you why this is a bad idea do you? 😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

Go on…

EDIT actually if all you’re going to say is it won’t work then don’t bother 🙂

seadog101

What size are your boots?

scotroutes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZir_Taizg[/video]

njee20
    Free Member

Top bodgery. Well done!

matt_outandabout

Did you use a spoon?

martinhutch

Please film the first rocky descent…

Actually interested in how long it manages to avoid catastrophic failure.

mintimperial

Woah. Impressive. There is no way in hell you could induce me to ride a bike with that thing stuck in the frame. Sir, I salute your total disregard for your personal safety and life in pursuit of intergalactically terrifying bodgery, truly you are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in pursuit of that Darwin Award…

cynic-al
    Free Member

How many of you know anything about building wheels and how rims are held together?

TiRed

Wire beaded tyres?

mintimperial

Built loads of wheels, thanks, understand the theory well enough. Rather you than me is all. 🙂

leffeboy

in awe 🙂 bestest bodge ever

…until the next one of course

did Keith Brontrager not used to do that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No rationale then, mint?

Kind of makes your words meaningless.

It’s an experiment anyway, not expecting a long life from it

mintimperial

Sorry, I didn’t really mean my comment as a criticism! Well, bit of fun poking maybe, but no more, I’m honestly impressed, really. You’re obviously doing this to see how much of a bodge you can get away with. And that’s great! I was only being a little bit sarcastic for effect, sorry, mostly I think this is just very impressive dedication to shed-based nutter-engineering – it is a bit nuts, you have to admit.

I’d still not ride it though, I have a kid to pay and a mortgage to worry about. The spoking pattern is the main problem I have with it, it’s uneven and will lead to stress in weird places followed by (possibly sudden unnanounced) collapse.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cool, but I disagree 🙂 I’ll report back.

boxelder

I understand little – can I ask about spoke spacing, where you cut the chunk out?
    Those FBNimbles are slack beaded, so hope you cut out less rather than more.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The cut was almost exactly 2 spoke holes worth. Tried a folding sbc tyre on, it was neat.

Lacing started off followings a pattern but a 32h hub into a 30h rim got random quickly.

Dickyboy

Lacing started off followings a pattern but a 32h hub into a 30h rim got random quickly.

had me giggling over my breakfast 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The actual spoking is the only issue there.
    Cutting and gluing a wedge in is how rims have been made for decades.
    Some don’t even both with the glue, just knurled and wedged in lump (wouldn’t think you’ll find anything like that on a bike over 50 quid!)

And it’s got no braking surface to worry about either.

32 to 30. Did you get stoned first?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I find your lack of spoon disturbing.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

not expecting a long life

No; really?

scaredypants

awesome !

pinned as well, by the looks – booo, that’s not fair 🙁

did you close your eyes and pull your shitting face while you were tensioning it up ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Ha, good bodging!

teamslug
    Free Member

You should have drilled 2 more holes…or redrilled for 32 spokes?. Surely quite a few existing holes would have lined up. Top bodge though 😯

bencooper
    Free Member

What you really need – and I covet this device – is a rim drilling machine:

panzerjager
    Free Member

Fair play cynic-al, top job. Hope it works out for you.

Just a thought, but weren’t a lot of the old Klunker rims cut & re-joined by Tom Ritchey, as they wanted lightweight rims which were only available to roadies? They seemed to get a proper hammering…
    If I’m correct then it’s also the reason we ended up with silly narrow rims for fat tyres all those years ago.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Would you prefer flowers our a donation to your favourite charity?

IA

rim drilling machine:

Torture machine or bicycle tool?! Bet now!

You can’t tell from the name or the picture! 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can’t see the picture but if the rim is pinned rather then just a dab of araldite on the cut ends I’d expect it to be fine.

M6TTF
    Free Member

best thread in ages – I salute your engineering prowess. chemical metal up the hub holes and redrill in correct placement for bonus points

letmetalktomark

I applaud you Sir.

I have no idea why this wouldn’t work.

Interested to hear how you get on.

I am disappointed though regarding the lack o spoon. Couldn’t you just of said one or part of one was is there somewhere?

gary

Just a thought, but weren’t a lot of the old Klunker rims cut & re-joined by Tom Ritchey, as they wanted lightweight rims which were only available to roadies?

I think you’re thinking of Bontrager cutting down ally road rims to 26″ as alluded to earlier.

Top bodgery, and I bet it will take a lot of abuse before the funny spoking becomes a major issue assuming a half decent build. Wheels are not the mysterious magic some people seem to think!

STATO
    Free Member

Top bodgery, and I bet it will take a lot of abuse before the funny spoking becomes a major issue assuming a half decent build. Wheels are not the mysterious magic some people seem to think!

Probably has better tension than most factory wheels all the scaredy cats above run.

gonzy
    Free Member

impressive bodgery cynic-al. reminds me of the time you built your own disc mount on a fork. where you made the cut on the rim i presume you crossed the spokes form the hub so the spokes help hold the join together?

if you die….i want first dibs on your bikes!! 😆

scotroutes

More likely they’ll be held for the inquest and then destroyed.

brakes
    Free Member

how will/have you tested the wheel?

euanc
    Free Member

Brilliant.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Front or rear wheel?
    Footage of you riding it off-road or it didn’t happen. And proper off-road where you’d actually ride a 275+ bike, not just a dull fire road otherwise what’s the point?
    Well done for experimenting and trying stuff out. I’m sure you’re confident in how it works otherwise you’d not have done it.

Tom KP

Ps – don’t let the naysayers put you off.

philjunior
    Free Member

The 30h would concern me far more than the cut and shut.

That said, the worst that’s likely is you’ll break a few spokes or rip the hub flangesup.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Roll your own rim* FAIL-A-GEDDON CONTENT’ is closed to new replies.