Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)
  • Roll up! It's Elfin's Monday Anger Management Group Therapy Session!
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ok i think some of you misunderstand; I mean what is it about the behaviour of others online, that winds you up? IE, on this forum and others. Stuff like that

Poncing ponces

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Interesting that the poster in this case, instead of offering a personal insight or an account of their own experience, seeks to denigrate and discredit another. A very common occurrence on internet forums, it appears. Such behaviour suggests hostility towards another. I’m interested in where this hostility comes from, and how it can be avoided.

I bet you read the Guardian…………………..Guardian readers wind me up

and Waitrose shoppers

and “cherished” number plates

and sun-dried tomatoes

and anyone who uses the word “dude”

and all men less than 5 foot 8

DaRC_L

hey ernie,
    did you see that short tv chef, the dude-meister, article in the grauniad about how to create a personalised number plate from sun-dried tomatoes?
    😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

GRRRRRRRRRRR

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s a very good Yeti impression 8/10.

Have a waitrose olive and sun-dried tomato foccacia… your choice of filling…

mogrim

Does seem a little tense on here at the moment, in a “handbags at dawn” kind of way. I’m sure it’ll all blow over soon enough, but they probably said that about Chernobyl when it blew, too.

Also anyone who says Bliar or calls George Osbourne Gideon or posts drivel about octopi.

+1 on the Bliar and Gideon bit, though I am partial to a little cephalopod chit-chat every now and then.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just hate hypocrits and liars.

mogrim – Member
    Does seem a little tense on here at the moment, in a “handbags at dawn” kind of way. I’m sure it’ll all blow over soon enough, but they probably said that about Chernobyl when it blew, too.

I’d say recent flounces are way bigger than Harrisburg even.

yunki
    Free Member

My vomit fluctuates, covers your skull like protoplasm
    Lightning bugs turn pink, on my tongue catches spasms
    Green elephants, I battle streets with a zebra
    My mechanism is more than Dionne’s psychic voodoo
    African beads, snakeskins, cold script through you my medical passes
    You can’t see, with greedy glasses
    Carbon dioxide, pour right through em with gases
    My description dinosaur
    I was made half-shark-half-man, my skin is like razor blades
    Seven-oh-seven, Mr. Gerbik
    Verbally no one change my thoughts, animals fly from Philly
    My appetites more big it’s time for wildabeasts
    Adjust my skulls, seven eyes switch hydraulic scribbles
    and shrimps, mack gorillas like a pimp
    Half-shark-alligator-man

nickf
    Free Member

At the considerable risk of taking this seriously……

Alexander Hamilton* reminded us “that men are ambitious, vindictive, and rapacious”. Not a lot’s changed since 1787.

What I mean is, people just are nasty. Not all people, and not all the time, but enough of them, enough of the time. If people can get away with things, they will; here in cyberspace, no-one really knows who you are, and you can say the most outrageous things without fear of consequence.

People often claim that they’re just larking about, that they don’t really believe what they’re saying, and that in real life they’re a pussycat rather than the spiteful individual they appear to be online. I tend to the opposite view; people express themselves more fully online because many of the normal social contraints are removed – Lord On-Line Of The Flies, if you will. I appreciate that this is a very cynical view of the world, but I’ve seen so many examples of “nice” people behaving badly that I assume the worst of everyone until proved otherwise.

*In the Federalist Papers. Who said that an A Level in Political Science was no use, eh?

brakes
    Free Member

what did you expect from this thread Fred? a real debate? vitriol? enlightenment? entertainment?

brakes
    Free Member

I give you a rabbit in a pancake hat

Junkyard
    Free Member

nice post nick and i tend to agree with you
    If you let people be their true self un restrained by social niceities and consequencesyou discover that many true self’s are quite unpleasant.
    Some of it is just that we loose alot of communication going to the written word so lack of intonation looks etc means you are never certain if someone is joking or if they mean it.
    Some folk develop a persona for Internet use which I have always found rather odd tbh are they that uncomfortaable being their self

scaredypants

“that and people hiding behind tags”

see, occasionally, I think that a tag is more appropriate than a post. Hadn’t realyy imagined that it made anyone cross 🙁

Mine are meant in fun (mind I think I’ve done about 5 ever – last(?) one of which was on a stopping smoking thread and did seem to upset a few). You/one can’t tell what the real spirit of any comment is, so you project one of your own

( 😳 – just notice this is a half-dead thread from a few pages down. Soz )

I don’t think anything has wound me up more on STW than Fred of late.

I’m sure Fred had this in mind whilst writing this thread.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Where are the pictures of nuclear war victims?

Where?

ton

i have been very angry since october due to not being able to ride my bike.
    i am not normally angry, usually the opposite.

you should count yourselves lucky ( you angry ones) that you can get out on your bikes and release some pent upness……. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

ton, on Saturday you can hit some of them with sticks if that helps.

ton

with nails in?

Harry_the_Spider

If you like. We’re not big on rules.

ton

8)

kaesae
    Free Member

I believe that it is “Sexual Frustration Syndrome!”

The causes of which are, Wee Dicks and Big Fannies!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Since the “Righteous One” spat his dummy out and retired to his garret in Leith to polish his halo I’ve been feeling a lot calmer

locomotive

I mean what is it about the behaviour of others online, that winds you up?

People having virtual tantrums, and whilst in a keyboard bashing rage failing to grasp the futility of sitting alone at a PC getting angry with anonymous posters on a web forum.

Some of the arguments on here are hilarious, the gaps between posts get increasingly smaller to the point I can visualise two people that have never met simultaneously smashing on the keys whilst a blood vessel on the side of their temple swells comically.

No real way to live your life is it?

That said I wouldn’t change it too much, any forum where a picture of a rabbit with a pancake hat can gel seamlessly with the rest of the thread is alright I think.

donsimon
    Free Member

Stupidity is not an endearing trait.

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s remarkably common though 🙂

PeteG55
    Free Member

Harry the Spider earlier today
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0onXhyLlE[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s remarkably common though

Yes, but I have noticed a slight drop off recently. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

I Wish I Was Queer So I Could Get Chicks

Ahhhhhh! That’s much better………….. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

what did you expect from this thread Fred? a real debate? vitriol? enlightenment? entertainment?

The vitriol was inevitable. 🙄

I had hoped for people to be open and honest I spose. Seems that some of those quick to insult, abuse, bully and belittle others are actually loathe to exercise a bit of introspection and self-awareness. Some of the responses here, particularly the ones having a dig, betray a fair amount of defensiveness. People can be quick to give it out, but not so quick to have a look at themselves. Counter-productive if you ask me.

Some people try so hard to look clever, but then end up looking a bit vulnerable really.

It’s not about looking to blame others, it’s about admitting and identifying your own faults, in order that you can then move forward in a positive manner.

druidh
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh I do like a bit of concrete Druidh. In fact, I’ve got a new-type top secret thread planned for tomoz, which will be lovely and beautiful! 🙂

I woon’t go in that Tooke Arms pub though. Ooh no…. 😯

druidh
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think Druidh is doing very well here! He’s expressing his feelings and emotions in a visual manner. I think you’re making great progress, Onion.

I’d like to see some of the darker side of your nature, though. Let your inner anger speak to you….

druidh
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok it’s starting to get a little bit disturbing now…

Mummy I’m frightened. 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Roll up! It's Elfin's Monday Anger Management Group Therapy Session!’ is closed to new replies.