• This topic has 39 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ajc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Roll call – Gorrick Endura Autumn Classic Round 1 – Tunnel Hill
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

Following some decent results in recent races I’m thinking of signing up to do the Gorrick Autumn xc race at Tunnel Hill this weekend. Any other STW riders racing?

I’ve never ridden Tunnel Hill before – any STW advice/course tips/obligatory tyre choice pearls of wisdom gladfully recieved! 🙂

gren
    Free Member

Just as well I saw this as I didn’t realise there was a race on this weekend.

I ride Tunnel a couple of times a week, was last there Sunday morning. The trails are holding up pretty well – it tends to drain really well up there. Just puddles here and there in the dips on the singletrack. Running a couple of Nobby Nics at the moment and have had no problems with traction anywhere.

I think the only real issue may be the huge puddles (few inches deep – you wouldn’t want to plough through them) on the Old Guildford road – the road that goes along the spine of the hill. Could be fun if a few riders head through there at once. Not sure how much a ‘xc’ route would touch this though.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing this as my first ever race! Haven’t got a clue how I might fare but there’s only one way to find out 😉
    It all rests on whether my new bike arrives in time. If I don’t get it until 6pm Saturday evening it might be pushing it to race for the first time just a few hours later!!

dobo
    Free Member

tunnel hill gorick is great, cant decide whether to do this or a cx race though..

njee20
    Free Member

Was gonna go, but I’m so hideously unfit after going on holiday that I really can’t face paying £25 to plod round 5 laps on my tod! Maybe the next one, although I prefer Tunnel Hill.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’ll be there, moving up a category so will get a beating from the fast boys.

No need for mud tyres even if it’s wet, not the kind of soil for that.

The course won’t be heading along the Old Guildford Road (although it might cross it), so the big puddles shouldn’t be an issue.

Nick – you’ll regret it if you don’t! Just do Sport or something?

frogstomp

Just signed up.. also went up a class (mainly for the number of laps) so fully expect to have my arse handed to me on a plate, although I had a top 20 finish at the Wiggle Falling Leaves event (yes, i know it’s not a proper race) last weekend so hopefully I won’t embarrass myself too much!

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Njee20 – Go on! 😉 Quick query – I haven’t raced xc properly for a good few years, as a barometer my lap times at Bristol Bikefest this year were in between yours and Gee’s – what cat should I enter for Gorrick? I was going to go for Open to get some experience but am abit worried about getting clogged in a big bunch so maybe Masters would be better for me?

njee20
    Free Member

Nick – you’ll regret it if you don’t! Just do Sport or something?

That always feels a bit wrong with an expert licence, even though I’d still get my arse kicked! I think a long local ride would be less depressing/more beneficial! Doing our Black Park night race next weekend anyway.

I was going to go for Open to get some experience but am abit worried about getting clogged in a big bunch so maybe Masters would be better for me?

I’d go masters or super masters to be honest, you’ll be fine! You’ll do very well in masters I’d expect, particularly as these rounds tend not to have a particularly good turnout. Super master will be more competitive and longer, if that’s what you’re after! You’d likely clean up in open.

johnny

I’m going, haven’t raced Tunnel hill before; I’ll be on a rigid 29er SS. (It’s my raciest bike…) Will i die?

theotherjonv

Will i die?

No. I’m contemplating doing it too, also 29er rigid SS just for shits and giggles (and also an excuse for a cack result)

It’s a great area and will likely be a great course. There’s no massive elevation difference across the area but they always find a way of sending you up a few sharp hills depending where they route it, and not too many opportunities for getting your breath back either.

njee20
    Free Member

also 29er rigid SS just for shits and giggles (and also an excuse for a cack result)

You know Gee of this parish won the 4-hour ‘Are you Tough Enough’ on the same trails on a rigid 29er SS – the geared category that is – you’ve got no excuse! 😉

johnny

I’m contemplating doing it too, also 29er rigid SS just for shits and giggles (and also an excuse for a cack result)

Yes, me too! i’ve entered Open, would there be any point in entering Masters instead? It’s earlier, which is a good thing for my sunday, but “masters” implies i should probably know what i’m doing….? 😯

theotherjonv

You know Gee of this parish won the 4-hour ‘Are you Tough Enough’ on the same trails on a rigid 29er SS – the geared category that is – you’ve got no excuse!

Gee could beat me on his Mum’s shopper bike. I got my best (least worst) Gorrick result on ss btw; particularly good was being DFL into the first bit of singletrack after a half mile start straight of fireroad, hopping off because I couldn’t clear the ramp up into the singletrack without a run up anyway, and running my bike through the undergrowth instead. Only to be told that I was cheating and I had to stay on the 12″ wide bit of trail!!

njee20
    Free Member

but “masters” implies i should probably know what i’m doing….?

Nope, just that you’re 30-39!

gren
    Free Member

Have just come back from an hour our so around Tunnel. Trails are drying nicely (although it’s due to piss down tomorrow!) and the trails that have been swept have also had the worst of the puddles drained. Those draining channels should sort out tomorrow’s rain as well.

Couldn’t ride the whole course as I kept losing it on the fire roads. I also had to turn round at one point as I nearly hit a squaddie in a fox hole right in the middle of 7/11.

I’m going, haven’t raced Tunnel hill before; I’ll be on a rigid 29er SS. (It’s my raciest bike…) Will i die?

Last time I went out with the Trolls on Tunnel hill the guy on a rigid SS 29er showed most of us up – certainly me. And the trails we were running were more technical than most I saw today

weeksy

Debating this along with Crosshair the earlier poster. Currently waitng to see if i’m taking the wifes Yamaha R1 down for winter storage or not. If blokey is away/busy then yes i’ll be there for the race.

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Looking forward to this race, only thing I don’t like about tunnel hill is the finish, very twisty and tight and no sprint finish at all!

Jason
    Free Member

The finish will depend on the course Gorrick set, in the past there has been a chance for a sprint finish.

Not racing myself, but there for the afternoon races and watching he wife race.

Janesy
    Free Member

Am I in the wrong CAT? I’m 30 and in the sport.

Should I be in the masters? Is the sport for super fast people?

njee20
    Free Member

No, sport is for everyone over 18 who aren’t expert or elite. Master is just 30-39, so you can do either (or Fun/open/expert) if you want.

Sport and master are similar speeds, sport is further. Super master is for quick masters.

singletrackmind

Vets for me .
    I have no dilusions of being in the top half, just a finish will do for me.
    Will be massively overbiked on a 575 as the Hei Hei is waiting on a new headset.

Janesy
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up Njee.

johnny

So anyone been riding there recently? I’m having the usual (largely pointless!) tyre debate in my head….

Jason
    Free Member

I was riding over there this morning and it was fairly dry, with the odd damp bit here and there. A Ralph on the front worked fine. I had a Specialized Ground Control on the back which had more than enough grip. It has rained a bit since then, but I would imagine it will have been soaked up by the ground pretty quickly. I wouldn’t go for anything more knobbly than a Rocket Ron, and no need for mud tyres.

I am taking my son for a spin around the course later so will see what the conditions on the actual course are like.

johnny

great stuff, ta! ralphs it is.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Wish I was racing. I was up there today but too early to pick up the course. Trails I went on seem to be pretty good. There’s the obvious mud puddles here and there, but otherwise it’s in good nick.
    Have fun!

weeksy

Very wet just north of there today… so much so that i really can’t be bothered with a complete mud-fest so i’m blowing it out tomorrow. Will take my boy to the swimming baths instead 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m very close to Tunnel Hill and yes we’ve had a couple of showers but nowhere near enough for a mud fest.

njee20
    Free Member

Just got back from 100 miles on the road, so definitely not going!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’m very close to Tunnel Hill and yes we’ve had a couple of showers but nowhere near enough for a mud fest.

This.

I rode there today and it was fine this morning and during the heavy shower early afternoon. It won’t be bone dry but it won’t be much to worry about either.

coopersport1
    Free Member

If anyone fancies going last minute and wants to car share from Leicester then I’d be tempted!

Jason
    Free Member

I just did a part lap with my son, the course is generally pretty dry, greasy/slippy in a few places, and a few puddles that can be avoided. I think the slippy bits will cut through to dry stuff fairly quickly. There is one wet section on an up hill grassy fire road, which could get a bit boggy as the race goes on (or it may not) but it is only about 10m long. I got around ok on pretty much slick cyclocross tyres, so not much needed in the way of grip.

The course is a fairly undulating, lots of short up and downhills.

TiRed

Will be in the Sport on my rigid 29er SS. First outing with the new White Industries freewheel – so you’ll hear me anyway!

Would have entered the Open, but not sure I can be there in time as I have a Hill Climb in the morning.

theotherjonv

There is one wet section on an up hill grassy fire road, which could get a bit boggy as the race goes on

Hmmm, that’ll be the bit I was cranking up on the ss, only to have a rear wheel spinout, and a hardness contest between On-one’s DN6 tubing and my bawbag.

If that was your wife and son watching at the top, I apologised there and then for the industrial language but I apologise again now. In defence, it really did sting.

What a great course, given the recent weather. Grippy, fast, mainly dry, brilliant. I’m just wondering about the fireroad descent that paralleled P45!! I though that was against Gorrick’s constitution to put a descent on a fireroad!

(I know, P45 does collect water in some of the dips and routing a race down it probably wouldn’t have been wise)

singletrackmind

I had fun in my vets race .
    Stood on the start to see bubbles coming out the bead on my tyre ( tubeless) and thought to myself this isnt going to go well.
    As usual tried my “start at the back and work my way to the front from lap 2 onwards” tactic, as usual this strategy didnt work as Im neither fit nor fast.
    DFL on the first corner but worked my way past 8 odd riders by riding past up on the grassy ridge.
    Really liked the course , always made up time on the singletrack sections and lost out on the uppy bits.
    Had some good banter with a BOB rider and a bloke with bright green hubs .
    Battling over 35th place is pointless so went with the flow , and kept enough gas in the tank to be able to enjoy the singletrack.

A very nice course, little bit of mud and standing water and some nice damp polished roots . Vert Pros were perfect and my front tyre stayed up throughout, yea for UST.

frogstomp

Complete disaster for me.. had to retire after trashing my leg after an innocuous OTB moment on the first lap.. ah well, next time…

Janesy
    Free Member

Heh me too, half way round the first lap, I hit the end of my saddle, stupid 1 bolt design. Was sticking upwards so couldn’t sit down. Was at the front then got dropped by ‘everyone’ I stopped to readjust my saddle. 10minutes later finished the first lap and front wheel went and ending in a tree with a snapped chain. Found both split links next to my foot.

Gave up pissed off and drove 2 hours home. 4 hours driving for 2 hours is stupid let alone 30 minutes. What a waste of a day . Should of gone out n the road bike. And enjoyed the sun.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Nice atmosphere, stunning Autumn morning for racing and a great track with enough to keep riders on their toes. I unfortunately was a 1st lap retirement – tore the Racing Ralph on the rear and punctured 15mins in so hobbled to the timing gantry and called it a day after lap 1. Was running 8th or 9th at the time and looking to enjoy a further good hour or so’s racing but ce le vie – bring on the Spring Series, hope Gorrick use Tunnel Hill so I can give it another shot! 🙂

ajc
    Free Member

First race for me, took 20 years of mtbing to get round to it. Really enjoyed the course and and very happy with my time. Was quite surprised that given the amount of people in the open catagory it spread out really very quickly. Think I’ll go for masters at the next race and then it will be vets next year. Would have got 16th in masters so not as fast as I thought it would be, (although the winners were much faster).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Roll call – Gorrick Endura Autumn Classic Round 1 – Tunnel Hill’ is closed to new replies.