Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rohloff users – road bikes.
  • PJ266
    Free Member

Now I know Lots of people use Rohloff hubs on their touring bikes, but does anyone here use one on a racier style of bike?

My main reservations are the larger gaps between ratios and (I may be misguided) higher drag in certain gears.

Im no racer, which is making me think something more comfy with the possibility of light touring would be good.

What are your experiences?

neilthewheel

Not sure you can get drop-bar compatible shifting?

PJ266
    Free Member

There are a few ways, something like this would be ok in my books.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Suspect it’s mainly a weight thing. A rohloff would add a *lot* of weight to a lightweight road bike, which would have a big impact on the feel. On a mountain bike or touring bike (esp if with luggage) the %age change is much less.

Add to that I really wouldn’t want to put the torque arm onto a lightweight road bike stay.

I do a lot of commuting on a Rohloff mtb and the gaps between ratios, and drag, just aren’t an issue as far as I’m concerned.

Doh1Nut

This chap Mark Baumont rose around the world using one. He did say very little about the bike in the book though.

njee20
    Free Member

Do they do one with 130mm spacing? Do you need horizontal dropouts?

PJ266
    Free Member

That would depend on the frame I would use. by “racier” I mean not the length of a boat.

Something like a Surly cross check or Straggler would be the thinking, rather than a Long haul trucker. Kind of a do it all.

Jack of all, master of none.

ratherbeintobago

[quoteThis chap Mark Baumont rose around the world using one. He did say very little about the bike in the book though.[/quote]

Beaumont’s bike didn’t have drops though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ideal for something like that – if you just mean tough steel frame, 700C wheels, go for it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the bike is used for “racier” purposes i.e. training I would say the jumps between gears would make it pretty useless.

But the fact you are asking the question suggests you wouldn’t be doing so…

woodsman
    Free Member

To answer one of your questions. I’ve had a Rohloff on a winter mtb for 8 years now, and I would say that the gap between ratios isn’t a problem – in fact I find it ideal. But, make no mistake the drag is noticeable and present. After five month of trudging through the winter on it, I’m so looking forward to using my best (derailer) bike as the weather ‘hopefully’ dries up soon!

That’s two questions answered :0)

PJ266
    Free Member

Many thanks for the input people! Appreciate all peoples experiences.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rohloff users – road bikes.’ is closed to new replies.