Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rockshox lyrik guru needed!
  • mrplow
    Free Member

I have a reoccurring issue with my Lyriks. Mission Control 160 U turn coil.
    If I service them by the book they have full travel as normal. After a few rides I keep losing travel with a damper side hydraulic lock – about 20mm. I can remove oil from the top of the damper side and this gets the travel back. Where is this oil/fluid coming from and how is it staying there to cause the lock?!
    I once had them serviced by TF, they came back with full travel. They then had this issue so I sent them back. TF thought that I had opened them up and added fluid in the interim which I hadn’t. I have since serviced them myself but have the exact same issue.

Has anyone else had this and how did they sort it? It is not the usual one where the rebound damper seal goes and leaks damper fluid into the lower – it seems to be the exact opposite!?

Thanks for your help on this one. Maybe I should do the rebound damper seal as a start?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

its a weird one that, when the damper fills up is the lower the dry?

mrplow
    Free Member

I think the lower is drier than it should be. I will have them apart when I get some new fluid and have a proper look again. I don’t overfill the lower and give them a right clean out before going back together. I had thought that under harsh bottom out oil may be getting pushed up past the seal and held under normal use but how could it hold enough pressure to create an early lock out due to too much volume?!

Confused.

mrplow
    Free Member

More confused now. Took 15ml out of the damper and closed it up. Full travel back to normal. Put 5ml back in – still full travel. Put another 5ml back in and still full travel. Put in the remainder and still have full travel. I have lost maybe 2 to 3ml between taking it out and putting it all back in.

Could 2 to 3ml excess cause 20mm of lost travel? I’m not sure. I’m going to wait until the problem happens again and try just opening it up and closing it again to check its not a weird air thing…

jedi

mine go through the travel even though i got firm spring and compression fully clicked on high. they just dont feeel damped

Konastoner
    Free Member

What happens if you remove the MC but do not remove any oil and re-install? If the lockout is gone then the issue is with the MC not with the oil or levels.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Jedi, undo the spring and cycle the fork over various settings. You should notice the difference then, if not try a slightly higher viscosity oil.

jedi

i had new mission dially thing fitted today and they feel the same

carbon337
    Free Member

I had the opposite and found 150ml of fluid in my lowers – it had gone past the lower seal. I got a seal kit from TF and changed them all – £20 all in. Sorted.

mrplow
    Free Member

Konastoner – will wait for it to happen again and try just that.

Carbon – that is the usual problem. Mine is just plain odd but hoped others had seen it.

mrplow
    Free Member

bump for the week crew to see if anyone has had the same experience. 😈

toys19
    Free Member

I would say that this is to do with the head seal – lockout caused by the oil leaking into the lowers, v common on lyriks and totems, but your further description kind of poo poos this.

Send em to loco..

mrplow
    Free Member

They would get loco’d etc but have a bit of stanchion wear on the spring side below the seal and I want to self service them until they die and try to put some money aside for their replacement.

RustyMac

You could try droping him an email expaining the problem and then buy the parts to fix it through him. he seems a decent guy so i’d think he would try and help you out where he could.

I read on another thread he built up a shock and sent it out to a guy in morzine who had blown his up on the first day of his holiday.

mrplow
    Free Member

Loco is ace, spoke to him on the phone before and he did a good job of servicing my DHX air. I am suprised nobody has had this problem. I’m going to wait until it happens again and try simply opening up and closing the top damper to see if it solves it.
    No point in sending it to Loco while it is working.

Liftman

Change the ‘o’ ring that the damper seals onto the crown with, these are normally a size to small and allows oil to weep out, it could be letting air in.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox lyrik guru needed!’ is closed to new replies.