Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rock Shox Solo Air troubleshooting/service gurus
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I have a set of 2015 Rock Shox Reba RL solo air.

They have a habit of either dropping their travel (replaced all air shaft O rings) or loosing PSI and then going very harsh when more PSI is added. A lower leg service & air spring shaft clean & service always gets them back to plush and they work fine, until the next time. I think the trigger may be a big hit and they fail.

As i understand it the little indent on the inside of the air spring leg 2″ up from the bottom can get blocked by grease and cause issues. If so, then thats a really tiny indent thats gonna be bound to cause issues!!!

Google search (MTBR i think) and someone suggested not putting the 5ml of lower leg lube into the air spring side as this may aggrivate the issues.

Third or fourth strip down now (on the bright side my lower legs are well serviced!!!!).

Any pearls of wisdom out there?

I’d like to keep them air but wondering if i could just chuck a coil spring in there for piece of mind.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Don’t put very much grease in. At all.

qwerty
    Free Member

Is it a dollop of grease blocking that incy wincy indent thats buggering it all up ❓

devash
    Free Member

Mine are / have been exactly the same since I bought them.

They went back to Fishers and I was told it was the bushings / lower leg.

They were returned and worked perfectly. After a few months they started doing the same.

They’re going back again next week but its put me off the new solo air Rock Shox stuff. My old dual air Rebas worked flawlessly for years until I sold them.

qwerty
    Free Member

Bump

dlocki
    Free Member

i had the same issues with a set of pikes, i managed to get them feeling good but got very bored of taking the lowers off and in the end sold them and went back to a new set of 36’s.

I took the air spring out n took all the rockshox grease out of them and used a sensible amount of pace grease on the seals. remove all the grease from the inner leg and dimple. spray some silicon spray into the inner leg and refit the airspring. pump the air side up enough the push the cartridge out to full length before you put the lowers on, lube the inner of the wiper seal with grease – dont pump it to full pressure yet!

put the oil in the lowers and tighten them up.

put the wheel back on and slowly cycle the forks and you’ll hear them equalise
    , pump them up to required pressure and they should be right…

i came to this method after alot of messing about and they were ok after that.

id also recommend bleeding the charge damper as my pikes were alot better after i did it.

hope this helps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Solo Air troubleshooting/service gurus’ is closed to new replies.